133 replies to this topic

#46 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

:lol: don't go all smf on me salty. Its early yet and the cba makes everything difficult to predict.

Ngata getting let go ain't difficult to predict. It ain't happening. :D

#47 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,538 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

http://www.scardraft.../Johnson43.html

Johnson ran a similar 4-3 under similar to Fox. I suspect we will run the same line formations. One difference was that Fox typically put the nose tackle over the center in a 2 gap 0 technique (lined up over the center responsible for stuffing the A gap which is the space between the center and guard on either side. Whereas Johnson put the center in the A gap on the strong side ( between the center and guard lined on the side where the tight end is lined up on).

For a discussion about gaps and techniques for the 2 people that care here is a good article.

http://en.allexperts...rminology.htm#b

http://wiki.answers...._the_defference

For more detail for the 2 folks who care:
http://www.johntreed...dictionary.html

#48 Udogg

Udogg

Cardiac Victim since 95

• HUDDLER
  • 3,172 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

ya i'm pretty sure you skimped over this part....

fairley isn't a NT. we will still need one.

now here's a nasty scenario...

we draft fairley for the 3 tech and then pick up haynesworth for the NT.

that would be downright obscene. i would love it.

Isn't Haynesworth main gripe is that he is a 3 tech and washington wasn't letting him play as such? Not positive, just askin.

#49 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

I never said anything about him being the nt...guess u skimmed over my posts too ;)

riiight.....;)

#50 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,884 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

lol so you're saying haynesworth should be an NT when he refused to play an NT in Washington? ;)

edit: beat me to it.

#51 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hanesworth may be available. You never know. Swap firsts with the Skins get Haynesworth and a 3rd and 4th rounder?

#52 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,538 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

As for who we will want? Fairley could play the 3 technique or the 1 technique. He is big and strong enough to play in a 2 gap or 1 gap system. But he would fine in Johnson's system. Could he be a 3-4 nose tackle?? Possible but he would need some work. He reminds me of Kris Jenkins and is best suited for a 4-3 3 technique tackle lined up between the guard and tackle in the B gap.

#53 WilkinsonDonnie

WilkinsonDonnie

Monsanto's = Evil

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Hanesworth may be available. You never know. Swap firsts with the Skins get Haynesworth and a 3rd and 4th rounder?

and take on Haynesworths salary???? I bet he will hit the open market just for that reason alone. Welcome to running an organization personnel wise like the NBA.

#54 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,776 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Isn't Haynesworth main gripe is that he is a 3 tech and washington wasn't letting him play as such? Not positive, just askin.

while he'd probably most want to play the 3-tech, i think the NT in a 4-3 would be more appealing than NT in a 3-4 which is what the redskins changed to.

#55 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

aggressive D?? I havent seen that in 6 years, BRING IT

#56 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

As for who we will want? Fairley could play the 3 technique or the 1 technique. He is big and strong enough to play in a 2 gap or 1 gap system. But he would fine in Johnson's system. Could he be a 3-4 nose tackle?? Possible but he would need some work. He reminds me of Kris Jenkins and is best suited for a 4-3 3 technique tackle lined up between the guard and tackle in the B gap.

I think Kris Jenkins has at least 50 to 60 pounds on Fariley.lol

#57 FuzzyPanther

FuzzyPanther

...feeling sexy as usual

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

@ OP: Great analysis of Base D!

A couple of questions for you:

1- This is a breakdown of the Base only, and assumes only 2 WR's (or less) on the field, and assumes 1st and 10. Could you find any information on how JJ tended to substitute this scheme against 1 RB/1 TE/3 WR sets that have become more prevalent on first down in the NFL?

2- Since we have a great pairing of smaller LB's (Beason/Davis), wouldn't it make more sense to seek out (or keep) another LB to play the strong side, and simply make line adjustments when facing first down sets with only 2 WR's (or less), rather than try to make a round peg (Beason), fit into a square whole (larger LB who can take on direct blocks from Guards)?

Additionally, one could argue that the JJ defense was built around the larger MLB, so that he could plug A and B gaps primarily, and not have to cover middle and deep middle zones (large area) like a smaller/faster MLB (Beason) is expected to in a Tampa 2, and was not necessarily expected to be able to match RB speed on outside runs. We kind of built a our LB core out of guys to fit a Tampa 2. There's nothing keeping a Tampa 2 D from being aggressive... except the coaching staff...

#58 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

ya i'm pretty sure you skimped over this part....

fairley isn't a NT. we will still need one.

now here's a nasty scenario...

we draft fairley for the 3 tech and then pick up haynesworth for the NT.

that would be downright obscene. i would love it

:iagree: This would be my dream scenario solution for our DL as well. These two nasty big bodied DTs would be the motor that runs this aggressive, attack style D. Our D would be sick.

#59 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,481 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ngata getting let go ain't difficult to predict. It ain't happening. :D

Hey he is called a free agent for a reason. He can do whatever he wants. Right now everything is in play. We have a better shot at him imo then trading for Kyle Orton.

#60 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

There is a lot of good information in this thread, but do we know for a fact that were are running Jim Johnson's system, or is Rivera gonna dictate the system that he wants McDermott to run? He has already said that he will impliment some 3-4 elements, which could mean that he ultimately wants to run a true 3-4 once he gets the players he wants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.