• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

that's not necessarily a NT's job in every defense, it was just Kemo's assignment when he was here. Fox thought it was a good approach for the Dline and it sort of worked out when Jenkins was still decent at the UT spot in 2006.

Correct, but it was his role in this defence. So our lack of middle pressure then should not be blamed on Kemo.

Edited by MaineManPanther, 21 January 2011 - 12:27 AM.

#122 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,710 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:59 AM

i agree, although i wouldn't put fox into either category (dictating or reacting). he just did what he wanted to regardless of circumstances and outcome.

Whereas Jim Johnson used to practically salivate when it got to third and long.

#123 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Correct, but it was his role in this defence. So our lack of middle pressure then should not be blamed on Kemo.

the the amount of money he was making he was too one dimensional. He got some penetration occasionally but really he was just a boulder. They said they signed him because of a game he had against lecharles bentley and he rarely if ever looked that good here.

The only reason I miss him is because of the piss poor depth behind him. Losing him and plugging in Nick Hayden is a death sentence.

#124 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,710 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

Brentson Buckner once said it takes at least a year for a former nose tackle to get out of a 3-4 mindset and start thinking and playing like a 4-3 guy.

(it also takes at least five years to learn the West Coast Offense) :sosp:

#125 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Brentson Buckner once said it takes at least a year for a former nose tackle to get out of a 3-4 mindset and start thinking and playing like a 4-3 guy.

(it also takes at least five years to learn the West Coast Offense) :sosp:

Kemo would be a pretty good example of that. I thought he was just starting to master his job in the 4-3 when he hurt his achilles. Of course, he was never going to be much of a pass rusher though.

#126 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

the the amount of money he was making he was too one dimensional. He got some penetration occasionally but really he was just a boulder. They said they signed him because of a game he had against lecharles bentley and he rarely if ever looked that good here.

The only reason I miss him is because of the piss poor depth behind him. Losing him and plugging in Nick Hayden is a death sentence.

He was paid that amount of money to be a NT his job who's job is to take on blocks and stop the run. He did his job.

#127 jks85

jks85

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

This paragraph here makes me worried for Beason

Beason is too athletic to be forced into a straight up blitz/run-stop role.
Of course the other option is too move him to the Will, but he just isn't utilized best there either.
I suppose part of me is just being selfish because I wanna see the Beast continue to dominate, but at the same time, Beason is right there with Willis as the best in the league at their respective position, and I'd hate to see his abilities underutilized..
I just hope they can work something out to get the best of out of him.

why does this worry you about beason? sounds like johnson took advantage of trotter's skillset. doesn't mean mcdermott is going to try to turn beason into trotter

edit: sorry, i know i'm a couple of days late there. it's just that johnson had trotter doing a lot of something he was good at, no reason to assume the coaches are going to pigeonhole players. someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think their recent mlb's played the same role as trotter

Edited by jks85, 21 January 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#128 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think their recent mlb's played the same role as trotter

bradley is 6'4 250 lb ish but all their other lb's are in the 6'0 240 lb. range

#129 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:05 AM

He was paid that amount of money to be a NT his job who's job is to take on blocks and stop the run. He did his job.

He didn't do it well enough. Ted Washington was playing at a higher level that he was in 2006. We could have picked through a bunch of old NTs and late round draft picks if we wanted somebody to take up blocks.

Kris Jenkins was the real NT who actually made a difference against the run even when he was fat/disgruntled. Not saying that Kemo was expected to be Kris Jenkins but he's overated even just saying he's supposed to stop the run and take up blocks. He was paid to be more than that.

Damione Lewis was a much more successful signing. It was a given he was a pass rusher and that was it. He did a decent job rushing the passer and he also didn't fall off the face of the earth once Jenkins left.

The defense was an absolute mess without him but that's what they get when the FO just absolutely ignores DT for 3 years. Nick Hayden is no Kemo. Letting two one demensional DTs be starters was a bad, bad idea with no depth was pretty much an awful idea.

#130 paulSM

paulSM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Dan connor Anyone? I could see a Beason WLB, Connor MLB, Anderson SLB as working well. Davis could back up or even move back to SS. I could also see Davis WLB, Connor MLB, Beason SLB. Though that would def waste beason

#131 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,457 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

In our defense Kemo played the 0 technique which required him to take up two players and free up Lewis and Peppers to be single teamed most of the time. He wasn't supposed to get penetration and was typically replaced on passing downs.

Jenkins played in the A gap and was primarily responsible for getting penetration and disrupting the play. The defense was not the same exact alignment and the responsibilities were different given the skill set differences between the 2 players.

#132 bababoey

bababoey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Locationcorner of drunk and stupid

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

[quote name='paulSM']Dan connor Anyone? I could see a Beason WLB, Connor MLB, Anderson SLB as working well. Davis could back up or even move back to SS. I could also see Davis WLB, Connor MLB, Beason SLB. Though that would def waste beason[/QUOTE

Everyone seems to think that the MLB in this defense needs to be 6'5 and weight 250 or 260 for it to work. That's not really the case. Jim Johnson had Trotter who was 6'3 260 and could not cover anyone down the field. But he was a really good blitzer and very good at taking on an Olineman and shedding blocks. So that was how the Eagles used him.
That's not Beason. He is not a very good blitzer and is much better shifting through traffic and advoiding blocks than Trotter ever was. He can also cover 20 yards down the field which Trotter could not do. You can still run the same defense with Beason at MLB. Just have the SLB or the WLB blitz more, run more TE stunts, run more TT games. It is not hard to do. It will still be the same defense, it will just use the players it has a little different.

#133 paulSM

paulSM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

Connor is a fantastic blitzer where Beason is not. Connor doesn't have the spead to play outside. Beason does. Seems to make sense to make the Beason move outside permanent so that we can keep connor on the field. I don't know if getting Davis on the field is worth keeping connor off of it anymore

#134 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

He didn't do it well enough. Ted Washington was playing at a higher level that he was in 2006. We could have picked through a bunch of old NTs and late round draft picks if we wanted somebody to take up blocks.

Kris Jenkins was the real NT who actually made a difference against the run even when he was fat/disgruntled. Not saying that Kemo was expected to be Kris Jenkins but he's overated even just saying he's supposed to stop the run and take up blocks. He was paid to be more than that.

Damione Lewis was a much more successful signing. It was a given he was a pass rusher and that was it. He did a decent job rushing the passer and he also didn't fall off the face of the earth once Jenkins left.

The defense was an absolute mess without him but that's what they get when the FO just absolutely ignores DT for 3 years. Nick Hayden is no Kemo. Letting two one demensional DTs be starters was a bad, bad idea with no depth was pretty much an awful idea.

Comparison doesn't work. Jenkins and Lewis were expected to bring pressure due to the position they were playing as P55 pointe out. Agian NT is not supposed to get pressure.

He was paid to be a NT. And seeing as Kemoatu was consistently being double teamed, and stopped the run pretty well he did his job. What makes you think he was paid to do more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.