110 replies to this topic

#61 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

Everyone on this board knows he had great stats w/ questionable effort in 2008. He is easily playing better football in 2010.

meh, it always seems like Pep is getting this excuse, "stats dont tell the story, or he changes the game, dont look at the stats. Its deh Pressures".

But I have watched about 9 Bears games, and it looks like the same Pep. Dominant to Disappearing. IMO, Pep has not played any better, or worse than he had with the Panthers. I know how talented Pep is, and I believe with a team and Defense that has talent like he has, as well as, the freedom to roam the field to rush the offense at its weakest point that he should have 15+ sacks. He is that talented.

It's hard for me to say that the DPoY isn't James Harrison or Troy Polamalu, but then again their Defense is different with Polamalu is not playing, and he has missed some games. So its hard to say. But they have the best Defense, and I think Harrison's stat line is just as good.

and I may still be blinded/butthurt, but I am trying to remain objective. I am not saying that he isn't in the discussion, but IMO, he isnt the DPoY

#62 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Give it to Thor....err....I mean Matthews

#63 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

meh, it always seems like Pep is getting this excuse, "stats dont tell the story, or he changes the game, dont look at the stats. Its deh Pressures".

But I have watched about 9 Bears games, and it looks like the same Pep. Dominant to Disappearing. IMO, Pep has not played any better, or worse than he had with the Panthers. I know how talented Pep is, and I believe with a team and Defense that has talent like he has, as well as, the freedom to roam the field to rush the offense at its weakest point that he should have 15+ sacks. He is that talented.

It's hard for me to say that the DPoY isn't James Harrison or Troy Polamalu, but then again their Defense is different with Polamalu is not playing, and he has missed some games. So its hard to say. But they have the best Defense, and I think Harrison's stat line is just as good.

and I may still be blinded/butthurt, but I am trying to remain objective. I am not saying that he isn't in the discussion, but IMO, he isnt the DPoY

See, the issue is you watch him closely but not the other guys. Matthew, Harrison, Peppers, whoever. All will go missing at times simply because it's physically impossible to be dominant all season long.

Matthews got sacks. Great. He had less pressures, forced fumbles, interceptions, PDs, tackles, defensive stops and interceptions. Matthews is a linebacker, he should wipe the floor with Peppers in most of those categories because he gets more opportunities. The ONLY thing Clay beat Pep on was sacks and hits.

#64 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Meh... He's basically DPOTD (Defensive Player of the Decade), but that is to people who know football outside of Panthers fandom...

Really? Then why was he hardly mentioned for it year after year for 10 years?

This is nothing but trying to sell him, like the media has been selling Fox.

#65 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

If you guys think Pep would have won Defensive player of the Year with the Panthers with those stats, you are insane.

It because he was a big FA and is on a good team.

Pep has had much better years here, and never sniffed the award.

yup QFT

#66 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

yup QFT

I'm retated.

#67 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Meh... He's basically DPOTD (Defensive Player of the Decade), but that is to people who know football outside of Panthers fandom...

Warren Sapp, Michael Strahan, Ray Lewis, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, and Jason Taylor said hi

#68 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

See, the issue is you watch him closely but not the other guys. Matthew, Harrison, Peppers, whoever. All will go missing at times simply because it's physically impossible to be dominant all season long.

Matthews got sacks. Great. He had less pressures, forced fumbles, interceptions, PDs, tackles, defensive stops and interceptions. Matthews is a linebacker, he should wipe the floor with Peppers in most of those categories because he gets more opportunities. The ONLY thing Clay beat Pep on was sacks and hits.

Well, I know what you are saying, but I do try to pay attention to specifics, even schemes. Mainly because I am going to be a highschool coach. But, I do pay more attention to players, instead of just following the ball, regardless of the game.

#69 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

I could have 10 Charles Johnson's for a Julius Peppers

#70 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

"Pep Haters" are blinded by by panther fandom, but "Pep Slurpers" are not blinded by UNC loyalty or the same Panther fandom.

#71 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

neither a panther fan or a UNC fan, I think Peppers is a great player...but no my DPOY! Like I said, I saw him play twice, against a rookie...didn't impress me

#72 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,034 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

neither a panther fan or a UNC fan, I think Peppers is a great player...but no my DPOY! Like I said, I saw him play twice, against a rookie...didn't impress me

I dont think anyone is going to dispute whether he is great or not, but he is not the best defensive player in the league. I am not sure he is in the top 5.

#73 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,506 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

that second game he was beating that rookie like he stole something. dude played the same way here, but since he had all that attention in the offseason he is now up for the dpoy award.the guy is top 5 d players...

#74 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,451 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

I dont think anyone is going to dispute whether he is great or not, but he is not the best defensive player in the league. I am not sure he is in the top 5.

thats what i dont get. For some reason, some people think if you don't think hes the DPOY, you think he sucks or somehow isn't a great player.

#75 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Troy P., Reed, Nagati(sp), Harrison, Willis, Mathews, Aso, Revis, are just a few that come to mind right away of defensive players that are better than Pep and I know there are a few more.

Now if you want to narrow if down to just DE's, then I would definetly say that he is one of if not the best. Just overall D players, I would not say he is top 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.