Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahhh dems PartII

41 posts in this topic

Posted

The time for worship is in the privacy of your own home, in your church as the case may be, or in another group setting outside of school.

School is a place for learning skills that apply to the real world. Religion is not one of those things and does not belong in a place of learning where there are surely people who do not hold the same beliefs.

We can choose our religion or lack thereof, it should not be a part of our daily lives unless we wish to subscribe to those ideas.

Posted

The time for worship is in the privacy of your own home, in your church as the case may be, or in another group setting outside of school.

School is a place for learning skills that apply to the real world. Religion is not one of those things and does not belong in a place of learning where there are surely people who do not hold the same beliefs.

We can choose our religion or lack thereof, it should not be a part of our daily lives unless we wish to subscribe to those ideas.

So do you believe the Military Academies should not be allowed to have Chapels paid for at government expense?

Or for that matter, what if the student is getting a degree in religious studies?

Posted

Then make God pay for it? He's gonna get the benefit anyways...

Posted

Military schools need Chapels, as plebes cannot leave the grounds. I do however, object to the way the Air Force academy teamed up with the nutbag next door on student indoctrination a few years ago - perhaps it escaped your notice:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/politics/23academy.html

Posted

as it should be according to how our government was set up.

Where in the constitution?

Posted

the first amendment, look it the hell up. read jefferson's words on why he wrote the original bill in 1777 and what he meant by it. it's high school level government. you might already know if you didn't spend high school praying instead of learning.

Posted

as it should be according to how our government was set up.

Okay now that we're on the same page, if schools begin to halt these actions for fear of losing funding, then that is an infringement upon those said students civil rights.

Posted

Faith is something that applies to the real world for those involved just because you don't subscribe to it doesn't mean it doesn't matter to those who do.

Posted

the first amendment, look it the hell up. read jefferson's words on why he wrote the original bill in 1777 and what he meant by it. it's high school level government. you might already know if you didn't spend high school praying instead of learning.

Okay Einstein, the question was a bit tongue in cheek.

Liberal minds hear separation of church and state and think the constitution says expressly that it will punish any institution that respect religous views or has anything to do with religion. I was only wanting you to prove with the constitution that a public institution could not have a religous group meet in one of its rooms after class like so many others do.

The framers wanted nothing to do with the "establishment" of a religion, but remember they also wanted the government not to interfere with the free "exercise of religion".

The second part is what I think the liberals do not give any credence to in this case. Now, you look it the hell up.

Posted

Freedom of religion is great, when people are free to practice their own and others aren't subjected to having it forced upon them. That kind of takes the freedom out of the situation. I don't mind religious groups meeting at schools as long as it isn't included in the curriculum. That's what I'm saying. After school meetings are fine by me as long as I'm not required by the school to attend. Prayer in school is fine as long as you do it quietly, not over the PA system for all students to hear. That's what I'm saying.

If a school wants to broadcast those beliefs and practices to the whole student body, then by all means please take that school's portion of my tax dollars away.

Posted

The article explicitly states that prior decisions and precedents make the kind of actions talked about here a non-starter. This is just the religious rights version of "they're gonna take mah gunz!".

What is really being talked about here is using government funds for religious training. The government has a vested interest in not promoting one religion over another, and instead of being put through court case after court case by every whack job preacher who feels slighted, they want to avoid the situation altogether.

If you are interested in a closer relationship between government and religion, then yes, this kind of provision will not be to your liking. After 8 years of Bush, I am sure there are some disappointed people out there that will not want to see the wink wink nudge nudge policies of "faith based" initiatives slowly become less relevant - although Obama has said that he plans to keep a version of the program in place.

The upshot: Don't worry kids, the Jews for Jesus club at Garinger High will still be able to meet after school.

Posted

there is no separation of gay and state in the constitution.

There would be if Ben Franklin had hit on Thomas Jefferson. Guarandamntee you.