Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ahhh dems PartII

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

there is no separation of gay and state in the constitution.

There's no "separation of church and state" in the constitution, either.

Posted · Report post

It's called the First Amendment. That is just as much a part of the Consitution as anything else in it. People can and will argue about it until the end of time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause

Jeffersons letter:

To Messrs. Nehemiah Dodge and Others

A Committee of the Danbury Baptist Association in the State of Connecticut

January 1, 1802

Gentlemen,

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist Association, give me the highest satisfaction. My duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State. [italics added] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and Creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect and esteem.

Thomas Jefferson

President of the United States

The Constitution was not written in a way to make this concrete, but we do know from the words of the writer of the Constitution himself what he intended. To me, the combination of the ambiguous words of the Constitution along with the clarity of the followup explanation (and in fact, the explanation was written to reassure a baptist minister in CT. who was having some issues apparently) this "wall" is indeed a good thing for religious freedom, despite the issues some people may have with it.

Posted · Report post

It's called the First Amendment. That is just as much a part of the Consitution as anything else in it. People can and will argue about it until the end of time:

Jeffersons letter:

The Constitution was not written in a way to make this concrete, but we do know from the words of the writer of the Constitution himself what he intended. To me, the combination of the ambiguous words of the Constitution along with the clarity of the followup explanation (and in fact, the explanation was written to reassure a baptist minister in CT. who was having some issues apparently) this "wall" is indeed a good thing for religious freedom, despite the issues some people may have with it.

Thomas Jefferson had slaves.

Posted · Report post

Yes and he made babies with them. No word though, on whether he only slept with the Christian ones.

Posted · Report post

Jeffersons letter:

Jefferson's letter is not part of the Constitution.

Posted · Report post

Your grasp of the obvious continues to mesmerize.

Posted · Report post

If you folks want the government not to violate your freedom of religion, then I suggest you keep your religion out of government-funded entities. Simple as that, and knowing how invasive the government can be, it's probably in your best interest.

Posted · Report post

Your grasp of the obvious continues to mesmerize.

You like her, don't you? It's like watching Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard in Moonlighting.

Posted · Report post

Did they ever shoot at each other?

Posted · Report post

Did they ever shoot at each other?

No, but they wrestled in jello.

Posted · Report post

Then no, it's not like that at all.

Posted · Report post

Jeffersons letter:

Thomas Jefferson didn't write the constitution. Actually in truth no one person did. But Madison had more to do with it than anyone.

But fwiw, Madison seems to agree with Jefferson.

I do think that some of the amendments in the bill of rights were written somewhat vaguely because if they had been written more specifically, they might not have passed. They would have caused many of the same arguements we see today.