Photo
- - - - -

Why not trade Steve Smith?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 pantherrice

pantherrice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

We are in complete rebuilding mode. It is not like we are going to be contending for a championship in the next few years. And by the time we finish rebuilding he will be WAY past his prime. Face it even with him in the lineup our offense still sucks, so their is no reason to keep him here.
We should trade him to a team that is contending for a championship, so he could have a legit chance at winning a Superbowl ring. Their is no reason he should waste his talent here. We should trade him and try to get a couple of draft picks and build for the future.

#2 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • -24,931 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

:lurk5:

#3 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

...if you aint got nothin nice to say.. ...

#4 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

You know this is a really old topic right?

#5 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

how about lets not trade steve smith?

#6 Real Emotional Trash

Real Emotional Trash

I

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Who?

#7 pantherrice

pantherrice

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

You know this is a really old topic right?

I must have missed it.

#8 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

He's Mr. Untouchable. Although, I do agree were going to be rebuilding/horrible for a long time. If he demands a trade, trade him...if not, then I dont think we'd get back good compensation for him, so might as well keep him.

Edited by AggieLean., 20 January 2011 - 02:30 PM.

#9 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,241 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

We are in complete rebuilding mode. It is not like we are going to be contending for a championship in the next few years. And by the time we finish rebuilding he will be WAY past his prime. Face it even with him in the lineup our offense still sucks, so their is no reason to keep him here.
We should trade him to a team that is contending for a championship, so he could have a legit chance at winning a Superbowl ring. Their is no reason he should waste his talent here. We should trade him and try to get a couple of draft picks and build for the future.

why not? tell that to RR and co. Tell that to the 08 Falcons, to the Buccs

#10 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Listen, I don't think most would have a problem trading SS for a 1-2 round pick but that probably ain't going to happen. If we trade him, the odds are we get no better than a 3-4 rounder and maybe even not that. What are the odds that we parlay a 3-4 round pick into a player that can help this team over the next few years more than SS? Probably about zero. So unless we can con somebody into giving us much more than he is worth he is staying.

Hopefully with a new offense and some decent QB play he will reemerge as somebody who can make a contribution. I don't think it is out of the question to think that could happen so why give him away for a crappy draft pick if that's all you can get?

#11 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,585 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Not a good year to consider trading Smitty. We would likely want a draft pick in return. Unless a CBA is done by draft day (which looks more and more likely) we would have to get future year picks in return. That would be a big hit this year without the immediate compensation,

#12 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Sometimes before they raided a ship the pirate Blackbeard would light his beard on fire to frighten and scare his enemies.

Panthers = Blackbeard the Pirate

Steve Smith = The Fire

He's not a wise old mentor who will nurture young rookies but NOBODY on the team wants to win more than he does. His wild poo talking and screaming pumps the other guys up in a way leaders can't. He's just pure fire.

JR dumped every single veteran on this team yet for some reason he kept the vet that was very expensive, with a twice broken arm, who occasionally punched his own teamates. He's something special.

It's not a ridiculous notion to trade him though. I could go either way. I don't think we are that far away from the SB honestly. The offense is what needs fixing.

Edited by SorthNarolina, 20 January 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#13 Guest_Jacob3-89_*

Guest_Jacob3-89_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

maybe we could trade you to the browns message board. They love idiots like you.

#14 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,068 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Didn't know were rebuilding the team, just thought we were rebuilding the coaching staff.

#15 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,159 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

why in the world would we care what's best for one player?

i don't care if the best thing for smith is putting him on another team so he could get a ring. once he or any other player is with another team then i am done caring what they do or what happens to them unless they are on my fantasy football team. they are just another player in the league that i don't wish any success for because they aren't a panther.

that said, i wouldn't be pissed if we traded him and it might be the best thing provided we get an upgrade at WR in the process.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com