Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard Marshall... What has he done?

35 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Yeah... I'm not calling for him to be a starter, but technically he "is" a starter but only in the nickel package. Personally I think we've got some really good CB's Gamble has shown he's good. Lucas we know is good... but as Marshall this season (and Gamble some as well) they have been out of position, missed calls, and jumped or given up plays that shouldn't have happened.

Overall I think our defensive coaching shake up will be a good thing id the motivation and the heart are brought back. I honestly don't see a problem with the over all scheme, or style of play... but the heart for the playing is what I think we need back.

Not to mention a lil discipline, but that's a whole nother thing.

Marshall is a talent. He's proven he's a good player. I think he'll bounce back after this rough season.

Comparing him to the other players listed above.. Do you think he shines more then most of them in his play... tho his name isn't broadcast nationally?!

Marshall is hard to figure, honestly. He looked like a winner early on, but the past two seasons, not so much (again, the Lewis connection).

I've toyed with the notion of "what would happen" if they moved Charles Godfrey to his college position (CB) where there'd be less thinking and more reacting and moved the somewhat more cerebral Ken Lucas to the free safety spot.

In this scenario, you could have Marshall and Godfrey compete for the starting CB spot, with the guy who comes in second becoming the nickel.

That won't happen, of course, but it's rolled around in my head.

Posted · Report post

Marshall is hard to figure, honestly. He looked like a winner early on, but the past two seasons, not so much (again, the Lewis connection).

I've toyed with the notion of "what would happen" if they moved Charles Godfrey to his college position (CB) where there'd be less thinking and more reacting and moved the somewhat more cerebral Ken Lucas to the free safety spot.

In this scenario, you could have Marshall and Godfrey compete for the starting CB spot, with the guy who comes in second becoming the nickel.

That won't happen, of course, but it's rolled around in my head.

It's not the first time I've heard people say that a corner can move to a Safety spot and still be effective later in their career... I'm not sure... being I've not seen it happen myself really.

Marshall didn't really slip much in his 2nd season. he actually (stats wise at least) got more tackles, lead the team in INT's (well tied with Deke Cooper for 3 INT's). Lucas had a FF for a TD and Marshall an INT for a TD that season as well. So for the most part, he outplayed his rookie season in his 2nd season.

Posted · Report post

It's not the first time I've heard people say that a corner can move to a Safety spot and still be effective later in their career... I'm not sure... being I've not seen it happen myself really.

Marshall didn't really slip much in his 2nd season. he actually (stats wise at least) got more tackles, lead the team in INT's (well tied with Deke Cooper for 3 INT's). Lucas had a FF for a TD and Marshall an INT for a TD that season as well. So for the most part, he outplayed his rookie season in his 2nd season.

I think Merton Hanks played some corner early on before moving to the hybrid position of safety/chicken neck.

Chris Harris to me is a prime example of the effect of coaching. Ron Rivera was fanatical about coaching guys to go for the strip. Fresh out of that system, Harris was still at it. One year removed from that coaching, less so.

I'm really bothered by that.

Posted · Report post

I too have liked Marshall since he joined the Panthers. I really wonder if they cut Lucas, if they'll promote Marshall to the 2nd CB position.

Posted · Report post

Jason (Jacksonville, FL): Do you see Richard Marshall becoming a good choice next year to start?

Pat Yasinskas: (1:36 PM ET ) I think they've already penciled in Marshall as the starter.

This was just posted in Pat's NFC South chat.

Posted · Report post

Hmmmm....

But Pat thinks to much sometimes.

Posted · Report post

Funny how so many were saying how much better we were with Tim Lewis when he came here and how many are saying he sucks aZZ on his way out. Just an observation, certainly nothing against you...

He did ok the year before last but what ever happened last year should never happen again. I mean all of our CBs melted. Gamble got by just cause of his talent and it was so much easier to throw at Lucas. Meeks will have his hands full trying to fix this problem that Lewis never did.

Posted · Report post

Gamble was better under Lewis. And the fact that we got through the year with only one PI call was indeed something to hang his hat on.

The overall result though? There are reasons to question.

Posted · Report post

Gamble was better under Lewis. And the fact that we got through the year with only one PI call was indeed something to hang his hat on.

I hate to throw it out there, but Gamble was the only one of our corners in a contract year.

Posted · Report post

LOL one PI call because we didnt even touch the WRs all season. Hell I could have ran a slant route on our CBs last year. PI call are bad but they also mean your CBs are playing hard.

Posted · Report post

Both valid points.