98 replies to this topic

#1 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,820 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:02 AM

"jonbeason: CBA.... What a tough predicament.... I have all the confidence in D smith and union to get this resolved. We all just wanna play!"
--http://twitter.com/jonbeason/status/30483907719725056

Looks like he is still behind D.Smith but just wants to play.

Edited by Snake_Fist_Gung_Fu, 27 January 2011 - 12:06 AM.

#2 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,968 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Saw the comment from Kevin Mawae last night on ESPN. Says they are preparing the players for no football and there is no way he can sell an 18 game season to the players. Said it was not a financial thing....that playing "2 additional games" was a safety concern.

When will these idiots understand that they currently play 20 games (16 Reg Season and 4 Preseason), and they would continue to play 20 games (18 Reg Season and 2 Preseason).

This is NOT about safety, it is ALL about money.

They know that the owners will make more revenue in the 18-2 format rather than the 16-4 one. And, they want a piece of that.

Come out and admit what this is....don't blow smoke up people's ass and expect them to buy your bullshit.

#3 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

I agree with you that it is about the money, for both the players and owners. But the player do have a point about injury concerns. To assume that 2 pre-season games = 2 regular season games, as far as player safety is concerned, is a little absurd. Which is why when the players do eventually cave, on the issue of the 18 games schedule, it will come with concessions by the owners. Most likely in the form of more roster/PS spots and a reworking of current injury settlements.

#4 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

He's behind D. Smith in that he has confidence he gets it resolved. However, when Smith DOESN'T get it resolved he is going to be feeling some major heat from the players.

Kevin Mawae is on my s*** list too. That BS he was spewing on Mike and Mike the other day was ridiculous. The average NFL salary is about 2 million bucks and they are complaining that they don't have enough money to pay for health care. Let's see...The average salary is about...90 times the amount of the average American salary of 30K per year. Even if they only play football for 5 years they make 10 million bucks in a career. Most people don't make that in a freaking lifetime and we don't have our healthcare paid for over the course of our life. THAT is what pisses me off about this crap. They are whining like they are the victims. That is why they get paid 2 million dollars a freaking year.

#5 HSCBandit07

HSCBandit07

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

You can't really argue it gives some teams an advantage when all have to deal with the same thing. The "Luck" factor will be the teams smart enough to take it easier on the players in giving them more time off the field and having quality backups on the roster to fill in for injured players. I could really care less about having 18 regular season games because I like watching the pre-season games and seeing some of the unheralded backups get a shot to make the roster/prove themselves out there.

#6 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,498 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Saw the comment from Kevin Mawae last night on ESPN. Says they are preparing the players for no football and there is no way he can sell an 18 game season to the players. Said it was not a financial thing....that playing "2 additional games" was a safety concern.

When will these idiots understand that they currently play 20 games (16 Reg Season and 4 Preseason), and they would continue to play 20 games (18 Reg Season and 2 Preseason).

This is NOT about safety, it is ALL about money.

They know that the owners will make more revenue in the 18-2 format rather than the 16-4 one. And, they want a piece of that.

Come out and admit what this is....don't blow smoke up people's ass and expect them to buy your bullpoo.

yes, they are playing under the same 20 games format.. but this argument fully ignores what is happening when you take away 2 preseason games and add 2 regular season games..

for the owners, it's about money. the players are going to have to give in, due to money.. but it's also about player safety..

the Packers for instance (yes, they overcame, but most teams don't, and many teams are plagued with injuries every year as they have been) you are taking 16 regular season games and 15 starters on IR this year.. and adding 2 more FULL QTR games is not about safety?

The Panthers in 2004 had 17 starters injured that year... and us Panther fans are blinded by Goodell's 20 game format propaganda?

it's not about the 20 game format.. we have 4 vanilla games where some starters don't even play, and when they do they play 7 QTRs of vanilla football...

and instead, offering up 3 QTRs of vanilla football + 8 QTRs of high impact football... 11 QTRs, if you really want to compare a preseason game to a regular season game... (which isn't comparable at all)

I get the other side of the argument, "this is going to happen regardless" or "it's only 2 more games", but those 2 arguments fully ignore the massive amounts of injuries that occur in a 16 regular season game period..

Edited by bleys, 27 January 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#7 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,173 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

I don't want to hear about safety concerns from the players when you can't even get most of them to wear thigh pads...

#8 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

Posted Image

#9 Carolina Mike II

Carolina Mike II

Was Just Carolina Mike!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

He's behind D. Smith in that he has confidence he gets it resolved. However, when Smith DOESN'T get it resolved he is going to be feeling some major heat from the players.

Kevin Mawae is on my s*** list too. That BS he was spewing on Mike and Mike the other day was ridiculous. The average NFL salary is about 2 million bucks and they are complaining that they don't have enough money to pay for health care. Let's see...The average salary is about...90 times the amount of the average American salary of 30K per year. Even if they only play football for 5 years they make 10 million bucks in a career. Most people don't make that in a freaking lifetime and we don't have our healthcare paid for over the course of our life. THAT is what pisses me off about this crap. They are whining like they are the victims. That is why they get paid 2 million dollars a freaking year.

I was watching that too!! The part I was rolling my eyes about was when Mawae said "It would be like asking those regular people making $20 an hour (WHAT?? REALLY) to work a few extra days a year for free" I know it is not WORD FOR WORD what he said BUT HE DID say $20 an HOUR! Not sure how many "REGULAR PEOPLE" make that much? I think if you are in the "top 50%" pay scale of NFL players THEY can pay for their own damn health care. As for those under the 50% sure why not. Seems like this would be a good way for NFL owners to look good and maybe sound like they care. Just my an idea!!

#10 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,757 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

I don't want to hear about safety concerns from the players when you can't even get most of them to wear thigh pads...

Thigh pads? That's your argument?

I'm opposed to 18 games as a safety issue. How are you going voice such concern about concussions and then add two meaningful games?

I can't stand Smith, but I'm with the players 100% on this.

#11 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,820 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

Really I think this has turned political more than anything. Most players just want to play football but D.Smith wants to win. He has shown that he will sacrifice everything and his first born son do he can "win".

#12 Carolina Mike II

Carolina Mike II

Was Just Carolina Mike!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Thigh pads? That's your argument?

I'm opposed to 18 games as a safety issue. How are you going voice such concern about concussions and then add two meaningful games?

I can't stand Smith, but I'm with the players 100% on this.

I understand your thinking. BUT if the players are NOT going to take advantage of ALL safety gear already provided to them, then that should be raised in this discussion.

#13 PantherPack

PantherPack

What you think?

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Im more concerned about all the records that have been made by the late greats that will be swallowed by adding 2 more regular season games. Also some fans would have to watch their teams secondary play 2 weeks straight.

#14 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,848 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

I agree with you that it is about the money, for both the players and owners. But the player do have a point about injury concerns. To assume that 2 pre-season games = 2 regular season games, as far as player safety is concerned, is a little absurd. Which is why when the players do eventually cave, on the issue of the 18 games schedule, it will come with concessions by the owners. Most likely in the form of more roster/PS spots and a reworking of current injury settlements.

If the players were half as concerned for one another's safety as they're making out to be then explain the backlash Cutler received from players during the NFC Championship.

"We dont want to make 2 games we already play meaningful because we might get hurt!"
"Cutler was hurt and didn't play! No heart!"

Oh compromise. Politicians murdered you and now football players + owners are violently sodomozing your corpse :(

#15 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,964 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:07 AM

Im opposed to 18 games only because I dont know how this is going to affect my fantasy football season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com