Photo
- - - - -

Fairley wants to talk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#61 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

Not to be mean PF, but I don't think "punctual" is the word you were looking for.

As far as folks saying it's purely about the money, I don't buy that. College kids are often pretty wide-eyed about going to the pros. And even if the team is bad, a player's ego will say "yeah, but wait till they get me."

Edited by Mr Scot, 28 January 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#62 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

Think it has anything to do with being a JUCO transfer?

Nah, makes way too much sense.

I didn't say why his first year wasn't good, I was just pointing out that statically, yes he was a 1 year wonder.

#63 1989

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

As kiper would say, i think thats a red flag knowing that he's from the same highschool as jamarcus russell... anyone else feel the same?

...that literally doesnt mean anything.

#64 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

I didn't say why his first year wasn't good, I was just pointing out that statically, yes he was a 1 year wonder.

Again, a lot of draft prospects are.

#65 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thankfully many front offices have the same dumb opinions as the people in this thread, which is why we get guys like Charles Johnson and Jonathan Stewart way later than we should have been able to.

#66 Darth Bobo

Darth Bobo

The Dude

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

I am not in favor of throwing the first pick at the offense, and hoping some rookie is the missing piece. Instead, I am in favor of signing a veteran (with more potential than Volek) to compete at QB and an upgrade at ROT, so that "guaranteed" improvement is expected on offense, no matter what. I wouldn't make the mistake of leaving the improvement on offense to last year's rookies or this year's.

On the other hand, our defense isn't broken. It is on the defensive side of the roster, that we can afford to gamble and take whomever we feel is the best player available, whether or not that player actually pans out.

Fairley seems like the best choice for us at this juncture, because we are arguably crowded at DEs, and Fairley is more likely to become a rookie starter than anyone else.

Having said that, this year's CBA problems are going to make free agency a nightmare. Our first overall pick then, is much more valuable than it would normally be, because the draft is the closest thing to a guaranteed first right that any team can create for themselves absent a new CBA.

We are going to get lots of trade down offers. I'd bet we take Fairley, or we trade down.

#67 ecu88

ecu88

Big Macher

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

I say draft P.P. and if this man is around for later draft him, Marvin Austin.

http://www.mockingth...-draft-scouting

#68 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

I say draft P.P. and if this man is around for later draft him, Marvin Austin.

http://www.mockingth...-draft-scouting

If we don't trade down. There are some solid DTs in this draft--I imagine the 65th pick will get us a good one. I also expect to see a FA DT.