Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: Defensive Tackle-Draft is NOT the way to go

30 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

TE in the first? We can easily pick up a decent TE in round 3+

Posted · Report post

well, DT's do take a while to develop, more so than any other position I think. Haynseworth was considered a bust after about 4 years. :driving:

But anyway, I don't want a DT, I'd much rather draft a TE

oh noes, but that's on the Panthers first round "no-nos" list.

Other positions...

QB

WR

Safety

Instead let's stockpile running backs and linebackers....:rolleyes:

....although I would take Maualuga out of SC...

Posted · Report post

I posted the exact same thing in the draft board a week ago...

Posted · Report post

You just listed like 3 of the top young defensive tackles in the game, some teams stretch on some picks and thus busts happen.

Posted · Report post

DT's take 2-3 years at least to develop, as they're generally being thrust into a different situation and dealing with much larger and faster offensive lineman than they were in college. However, DT's are one of the safer early picks as the talent is more easily recognizeable and as long as you don't go for physical specimens and just go for the people who are impact players you are well off.

We shouldn't go for a DT in the draft because of this, and instead try to nab one in FA because we really don't have the time to wait for them to blossom.

Posted · Report post

well, DT's do take a while to develop, more so than any other position I think. Haynseworth was considered a bust after about 4 years. :driving:

But anyway, I don't want a DT, I'd much rather draft a TE

Imo we need a do everything TE, and I wouldn't mind seeing Pettigrew as a panther. Big boy at 6-6 260, strong and can block. (fits foxes styles, but he has really good hands, runs good routes (most of the time) and has some decent speed to him for his size. (not the fastest guy in the world but he's got decent enough speed for what we would use him as and like I said he has sure hands.

Posted · Report post

I still think in the first round we look at DE, DT, LB. Thats foxy style there. Might even be looking for someone to take over diggs spot, they tried last season in FA, might try again in the draft this season. I'd expect one with our first 2 picks.

Posted · Report post

i dont think there is a DE in the first worth taking.and the DT is weak this year. we need a high draft pick to get b.j who is top 10 pick.but somepeople are saying he is a NT

Posted · Report post

....Yeah Jake Delhommes are just SOOOOO easy to find aren't they?

so many undrafted free agents starting and outperforming first round draft picks out there. Here's something you probably didn't look up: 9 out of the top 15 QBs this year were first rounders. So much for "bust" probability.

back to the topic at hand.

You're amusing.

Posted · Report post

you draft based on the player, not how sure a thing it is. If you believe the player's good, you don't decide against drafting him because "well, only about half of the DTs in the first round in the last five years have been any good, and some of them mysteriously don't count because they're nosetackles."

Posted · Report post

You're amusing.

Hello?, we don't make a pick in the first round, so at the moment, this is all a moot point... ;)

Posted · Report post

We'll do what we always do. What we actually should do IMO. Fill all the holes as best we possibly can in free agency given the limited talent pool and our limited budget. Pick the guys we have evaluated as the best football players on draft day. I don't think the first pick should be narrowed to less than 4 positions. DT, DE, CB, OL, WR, QB <-examples of the pick we could make for the right guy. I just don't want us reaching for marginal or iffy talent in the first or second rounds because it's a need. IMO that increases the bust factor far more than staying away from any particular position.