Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lightsout

So I got called an atheist today

239 posts in this topic

on the contrary, YOU are very afraid God does exist

That's silly. I have no respect for comments like this.

on the contrary, YOU are very afraid God does exist

is that so? that's funny considering i'm a christian.

As a de facto atheist, I have no fear of God's existence.

I would assume He is wise enough to not be fooled be the likes of televangelists and judge me on my actions.

If He holds true to any earthly doctrinal rules...He isn't God.

Why does God need a starship?

I know several agnostics and atheist and from all the conversations we've had we all seem to hope a god does exist. I'd love to find evidence that lead me to believing in a god or a religion. So the idea that atheist are afraid of god and don't want him to exist seems ludicrous to me (not saying some aren't that way, everyone is different). It just comes across as a way of dismissing their views without actually understanding them.

I know several agnostics and atheist and from all the conversations we've had we all seem to hope a god does exist. I'd love to find evidence that lead me to believing in a god or a religion. So the idea that atheist are afraid of god and don't want him to exist seems ludicrous to me (not saying some aren't that way, everyone is different). It just comes across as a way of dismissing their views without actually understanding them.

I don't. Personally I don't see the need for a God. I'd rather humans know that they are accountable for their own actions.

I don't. Personally I don't see the need for a God. I'd rather humans know that they are accountable for their own actions.

I agree, but there are so many people who need God. Or a god, however you want to look at it. They lost a child, or a parent while young. I have no interest in proving to these people that what they believe makes no sense, even if most of it doesn't. This world would implode if we just flipped a switch and no one believed any more. We'd kill each other and the world would segragate into gangs almost immediately.

Humans should be accountable for their own actions and shouldn't make moral choices based on the deity that they believe in. My reasoning for doing what I do is that I want to make a positive difference in the world and leave it a better place then i came into it. As should we all. My believing in Jesus/God has no bearings on my actions. For some it does and they are missing the point.

Funny, you talking about how people shouldn't be judgmental while calling people sheep.

You might have a point, but i'm not saying people shouldn't be judgmental I'm saying don't give them another made up reason to be judgmental. People functioned for thousands of years before there was a Koran, Bible, Torah or whatever.

I was trying not to generalize.

I'm fine being accountable for my actions. I would just like the eternal life thing to be true.