Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lightsout

So I got called an atheist today

239 posts in this topic

Your answer misses the point of the discussion just as completely as Cantrell's did.

Sheesh. Does nobody on here know how to think allegorically? :nonod:

The question at the heart of the allegory was this: If I believe your life or your eternal state is in danger, should I make some effort to tell you about it or just leave you to your fate without caring?

I addressed that in an earlier post.

the real question is

is that stuff you're talking about actually in the book?

Um yeah.

Um yeah.

Since you don't believe in God and we're all just dust in the wind...can I see your boobs?

you literally cannot prove that god exists. this might come as a shock to you people, but some people really, really don't care to hear about things you can't prove, and it's really, really insulting to hear that you're "living your life wrong" based on something you cannot prove.

Sure is... I hate those kinds of people. But I also feel the same way when I mind my own business and people tell me my beliefs are wrong for the same reason.

It goes both ways...like Lindsey Lohan

you called it opinion to say that faith is based on the belief in something you can't prove. that's what i'm "going on about".

you literally cannot prove that god exists. this might come as a shock to you people, but some people really, really don't care to hear about things you can't prove, and it's really, really insulting to hear that you're "living your life wrong" based on something you cannot prove.

on the contrary, YOU are very afraid God does exist

Ya'll kinda missed my point and got hung up on one sentence. I'll agree people are naturally judgmental in a way. But why give them a reason? I can live with people doing things " just because", but when you think your backed by God in your actions that makes you a dangerous person. Muslims flying into buildings is just as bad as Christians killing gay people. And they both get that from their holy book. The book isn't Holy if you can find reason to kill people in it. People have their own problems in life they don't need a Holy book to know right from wrong. And they surely don't need one telling them they will be punished if they don't act just like the book tells them to. Only sheep need a Shepard....

the point is people invent reasons. if it's not religion it's politics, if it's not politics it's race, if it's not race it's class.

Funny, you talking about how people shouldn't be judgemental while calling people sheep.

everybody thinks THEY have the answers.

that's the problem.

When it comes to "belief," you basically have three different kinds of people...

People who absolutely believe in nothing of the supernatural sort, life after death, or anything at all having any purpose on the universal scale are your Atheists. They choose the extremely negative side of the argument, and rely on their lack of faith.

People who absolutely believe in something of the supernatural sort, life after death, and everything having purpose on the universal scale are your Religious people. They choose extremely positive side of the argument, and rely on their faith.

People who either don't know, don't care, or listen to the arguments from both sides, consider the possibility of a supernatural plane, life after death, and some things having purpose on the universal scale are your Agnostics. They can take either side in theological arguments, and often rely more on reason and logic than faith alone.

The biggest problems are that Religious people generally have an intolerance with the belief system of the other two groups and feel the need to "save" or "teach" people in them, and Atheists generally have a general intolerance for anyone that allows for the possibility, or adheres to, a supreme universal entity.

The difference in the atheist and the devotee, though, is that generally the atheist does not go around imposing and "saving" or "teaching" those that do not believe the same as he or she does, unless engaged in debate or provoked in some other manner.

Agnostics often get labeled the fence-sitter, as evidenced in this very thread, simply because they don't pick a side in the argument. They can often use the logic and belief of both the other sides against them.

This thread was about someone getting called an Atheist, and quickly diverted into a philosophical debate like it normally does on the Huddle. If you go back to the OP though, you'll see the side of the fence that the people were on that started the debate by judging someone's belief system without finding out more.

While we may write this whole thing off as something that is just an enabler, being easily replaced by something else amongst humans if it didn't exist, it does not solve the problem, nor deny the fact, that this debate alone has been the sole reason for most of our species' problems.

I look at religion very anthropologically. Not even getting into the spiritual or scientific debate, just looking at history I am pretty sure in my atheism.

Through the course of history, there have been scores of religions that are now totally obsolete. Greco-Roman polytheism, Sun worship paganism, both the undisputed religions of their day, now completely written off as "mythology," or "folklore." The only difference between a religion and a mythology is whether or not people still believe it.

People today look back on these ancient religions and are comfortable with acknowledging they are creations of man with no basis in fact. And yet some of those same people are incapable of looking at Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. with the same objectivity. It's ironic to me.

Look at Isis worship of the Egyptians, a religion that was mainstream throughout Egypt and the Mediterranean. Isis was was worshipped for over 5,00 years, (more than twice the life of Christianity) and in parts of Greece is still worshipped today (And a careful study of Isis worship will reveal several strong parallels with Christianity). My point being, it's a religion that existed twice as long as Christianity, and yet today, 99.999% of people would say it's bogus; mythology.

How can one not look at contemporary religions and not even consider the theory that one day, what we believe, (and even all that we are certain of) is passe? It's naive to think that what we know now will be that way forever. One need at least acknowledge tha fact that in the year 5,000 some liberal arts college will offer a seminar in Christian Mythology for 4 credits.

1 person likes this

Since you don't believe in God and we're all just dust in the wind...can I see your boobs?

Nope my husband would be pissed.