Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I got called an atheist today

238 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't. Personally I don't see the need for a God. I'd rather humans know that they are accountable for their own actions.

I agree, but there are so many people who need God. Or a god, however you want to look at it. They lost a child, or a parent while young. I have no interest in proving to these people that what they believe makes no sense, even if most of it doesn't. This world would implode if we just flipped a switch and no one believed any more. We'd kill each other and the world would segragate into gangs almost immediately.

Posted · Report post

Humans should be accountable for their own actions and shouldn't make moral choices based on the deity that they believe in. My reasoning for doing what I do is that I want to make a positive difference in the world and leave it a better place then i came into it. As should we all. My believing in Jesus/God has no bearings on my actions. For some it does and they are missing the point.

Posted · Report post

Funny, you talking about how people shouldn't be judgmental while calling people sheep.

You might have a point, but i'm not saying people shouldn't be judgmental I'm saying don't give them another made up reason to be judgmental. People functioned for thousands of years before there was a Koran, Bible, Torah or whatever.

Posted · Report post

I don't. Personally I don't see the need for a God. I'd rather humans know that they are accountable for their own actions.

I was trying not to generalize.

I'm fine being accountable for my actions. I would just like the eternal life thing to be true.

Posted · Report post

is that the same site that says Adolf Hitler was a Christian?

Would it make the Bible any less violent if the site said Hitler was a christian? No. I gave you a small example that answered your question. So yes, the Bible does call for violence.

Posted · Report post

I agree, but there are so many people who need God. Or a god, however you want to look at it. They lost a child, or a parent while young. I have no interest in proving to these people that what they believe makes no sense, even if most of it doesn't. This world would implode if we just flipped a switch and no one believed any more. We'd kill each other and the world would segragate into gangs almost immediately.

I agree. I think it's the lesser of two evils.

Posted · Report post

is that the same site that says Adolf Hitler was a Christian?

Hitler was a christian but how is that relevant?

Posted · Report post

But we are already segregated into gangs that kill each other. They're called religions.

But you are right, we can't just flip a witch and believe in nothing. It has to be done gradually. And I also agree that some people need religion. And I am fully aware that some would be serial killer out there is controlling his urge because he fears damnation in the afterlife. So yes, there is intrinsic value to a belief system in certain demographics.

I don't know how I think faith should be handled on a global scale, erradicating it, scaling it back, disbanding organized religions, or making them mandatory. I think it's probably impossible to come up with one wholesale solution. Faith is something that should be decided on an individual level (not an indoctrination by family, i.e. get rid or organized religions).

All I can say with certainty is that me personally, I am an athiest and content with that fact. And I don't think "athiest" should be a dirty word any more than "Catholic" or "Muslim" should be.

Posted · Report post

great post captroop

Posted · Report post

But we are already segregated into gangs that kill each other. They're called religions.

But you are right, we can't just flip a witch and believe in nothing. It has to be done gradually. And I also agree that some people need religion. And I am fully aware that some would be serial killer out there is controlling his urge because he fears damnation in the afterlife. So yes, there is intrinsic value to a belief system in certain demographics.

I don't know how I think faith should be handled on a global scale, erradicating it, scaling it back, disbanding organized religions, or making them mandatory. I think it's probably impossible to come up with one wholesale solution. Faith is something that should be decided on an individual level (not an indoctrination by family, i.e. get rid or organized religions).

All I can say with certainty is that me personally, I am an athiest and content with that fact. And I don't think "athiest" should be a dirty word any more than "Catholic" or "Muslim" should be.

You have faith that there is nothing. Can't see anything wrong with that.

Posted · Report post

You have faith that there is nothing. Can't see anything wrong with that.

Yeah pretty much.

But just to clarify; I don't believe in nothing, I believe in everything, and it's right before our eyes (So don't spend too much time on your knees with your eyes closed or you'll miss it).

Posted · Report post

:lurk5: