#226 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

thats not very accurate

Care to elaborate (I started a section on Islamic history in one of my classes today, and we started on the Crusades right at the end, I'm just going off previous knowledge)?

#227 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

True, but from all I have learned from it, it was an counter-offensive attack by the Pope and, at the time, there was peace between the Muslims and some Christians, its just that the Muslims had captured land with intent to spead further.

Fixed

#228 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Fixed

Fair enough. I'll take it with a grain of salt, and see what gets said over the next couple days in my class. Either way, this happened so damn long ago, it is hard to find "evidence", only versions of the story as told by the perspective sides. I've heard what you are saying, and I have heard from Muslims their version (which is the one I put up).

Bottom line, neither side wants to look barbaric, so there is going to be finger pointing going on by both sides.

#229 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

a new muslim regime had taken over jerusalem and restricted access to christian pilgrims. wouldnt call that peace.

also, the turks were invading the byzantine empire, prompting a defensive response from europe.

#230 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,687 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

Basically you had Muslims pushing and taking over certain lands and the Christians got fed up and pushed back.

The response was, in history's eyes, overdone. But we have people nowadays that argue the bombs didn't need to be dropped to end WW2.

#231 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Basically you had Muslims pushing and taking over certain lands and the Christians got fed up and pushed back.

The response was, in history's eyes, overdone. But we have people nowadays that argue the bombs didn't need to be dropped to end WW2.

Very true. Good points.

#232 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,861 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

I thought the Muslims controlled it for a long period of time and then the Christians attacked and killed/banned all Muslims and Jews during the first crusade and then more crusades followed (short version)

I could be wrong, it's been a LONG time since college history classes.

#233 lightsout

lightsout

Doin' stuff...thaaaangs

• HUDDLER
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

I thought the Muslims controlled it for a long period of time and then the Christians attacked and killed/banned all Muslims and Jews during the first crusade and then more crusades followed (short version)

I could be wrong, it's been a LONG time since college history classes.

See, that has always been MY understanding. I will know more on it by next week. She did say today there were 9, but its been debatable. I think 7 or 8 has always been the consensus.

#234 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

friendly muslums ran jeruselem and allowed christians access, mean muslims conqured friendly muslims and put the town on lockdown, murdered christians, ambushed them during their travels to the city.

believe it or not there was a peaceful co-existance before the mean muslims rolled into town.

#235 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

friendly muslums ran jeruselem and allowed christians access, mean muslims conqured friendly muslims and put the town on lockdown, murdered christians, ambushed them during their travels to the city.

believe it or not there was a peaceful co-existance before the mean muslims rolled into town.

Thats what I thought. The Turks weasled power from the Palestinians and then sliced and diced Christians making their pilgrimmage to Jerusalem.

#236 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

History is written by the victors, too...

#237 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 25,016 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Im a mean muslim....loook out!!!

#238 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER