Photo
- - - - -

clausen still part of "long term plan"...wait what?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#91 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

Clausen's arm is good enough to make the throws in Chud's offense, just not sure where his head is at.

He had a nagging toe injury that was messing with him, yeah, just dunno how much was that and how much was him not wanting to go deep.

I know he had a problem with it in training camp but haven't heard much about it since then. It had to have cleared up by now but I know sometimes that comes back.

Honestly that's the last thing he needs. Clausen really needs to take a hard look at himself in the mirror and ask himself some honest questions about what he wants, how bad he wants it and then what he needs to do to get there.

That's why I had so much problem with all the little Tweets and messages. Not that they were big deals, but it just seemed to continue to perpetuate the belief his maturity and his head isn't where it needs to be. And I really think that's the case.

I'm all for the guy being a goof if he wants to be off the field. But he needs to also show some professionalism and leadership when it comes time for it. And I think right now the playful childish aspect of his personality is spilling over into his football. He needs to put an end to that and quick.

Just get serious and dedicated for a few months. It seems like he's sleeping soundly on his ear and either he knows something we don't or he's going to have a very rude wake up call by the time next season starts. He should be feeling that fire under his ass by now and if he's not I'm not sure he's the right guy for the job in the first place.

#92 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:11 AM

I know he had a problem with it in training camp but haven't heard much about it since then. It had to have cleared up by now but I know sometimes that comes back.

I remember hearing reports about the toe late into the season. (Week 10-13 or so) So who knows.

I'm all for the guy being a goof if he wants to be off the field. But he needs to also show some professionalism and leadership when it comes time for it. And I think right now the playful childish aspect of his personality is spilling over into his football. He needs to put an end to that and quick.

It's January dude! If Jimmy fails as a QB in the NFL, it will not be because he is updating the world on the details of his life via the mind-numbing phenomena that is Twitter.

#93 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

I remember hearing reports about the toe late into the season. (Week 10-13 or so) So who knows.

It's January dude! If Jimmy fails as a QB in the NFL, it will not be because he is updating the world on the details of his life via the mind-numbing phenomena that is Twitter.

I wasn't referring to his recent Twitters. I don't care about that. But if I was him it wouldn't be a bad idea to just layoff and go underground. Honestly it hasn't done anything positive for his image up to this point.

Talk less do more, would be my advice to him.

#94 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

Talk less do more, would be my advice to him.

But the how would the world know about his professor; who made a disparaging comment to him confidentially, in an email exchange? ;)

#95 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

considering what his other teammates tweet, I'm not really worried about Clausen's twitter account being the reason his teammates don't respect him.

#96 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

O-Line was fine

:eek:

You keep telling yourself that. As far as I'm concerned, your judgement is as "good" as those people that are fine with ditching D-Will and thinking that we'll be just as good.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

#97 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:47 AM

Tell me how you really feel.....LOL

I can get behind not being thrilled to pick up Volek given his limited experience and career backup status. But there could be a few reasons why he would be a good choice for a Beuerlein kind of guy for a year or three. He knows the Chargers system and has worked with Chudzinski. He could come in with little to no learning curve which is what you need if he is going to start. Clausen and Pike will have to learn a new system and it will take time.
Chud would know if Volek is worth it or not. He saw him practice for a while now. He knows how he is in the film room and weight room. I would think that he would be in a good position to make an informed decision.
Would there be others I could support more enthusiastically. Sure there are. But what do I know??

i look and listen to things that hurney and rivera says about the QB position and i seriously don't know how so many people are coming up with lame scenarios such as us keeping the same QBs and just adding some old cooter. there is no way i could take seriously a team that talks about the QB being important, that improving the QB situation is the top priority and then all they do is pick up some old scrub that has familiarity with the new system.

people will look at the comments made by rivera about clausen and somehow say that is a vote of confidence in him. i'm puzzled at how saying that you don't want to outright cut clausen from the team and you would still let him compete for the job, but you do want to bring in competition is a vote of confidence. that's grasping at straws to say it's any kind of confidence in him.

at best people are giving up and saying, "yeah, the QB situation sucks. it is what it is. let's just cross our fingers and hope that maybe somehow someone we have doesn't suck." you'd think we were still being held hostage by fox.

#98 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:52 AM

i look and listen to things that hurney and rivera says about the QB position and i seriously don't know how so many people are coming up with lame scenarios such as us keeping the same QBs and just adding some old cooter. there is no way i could take seriously a team that talks about the QB being important, that improving the QB situation is the top priority and then all they do is pick up some old scrub that has familiarity with the new system.

people will look at the comments made by rivera about clausen and somehow say that is a vote of confidence in him. i'm puzzled at how saying that you don't want to outright cut clausen from the team and you would still let him compete for the job, but you do want to bring in competition is a vote of confidence. that's grasping at straws to say it's any kind of confidence in him.

at best people are giving up and saying, "yeah, the QB situation sucks. it is what it is. let's just cross our fingers and hope that maybe somehow someone we have doesn't suck." you'd think we were still being held hostage by fox.

A lot of people agree with what you said, but what exactly is your solution? There isn't a QB in the draft that has shown me they can succeed in the NFL. It's all very well to say that we SHOULD drop Clausen and Should draft someone else, but that plan doesn't work when there isn't someone there! Yeah we're being held hostage, but not due to any coach or anything like that. We are being held hostage by the crappy fact that there isn't a franchise QB in the draft!

#99 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Jimmy will be here. He will be in the mix. If they feel that one of the draft prospects is farther along than him, then we should bring him in.

The bottom line is Jimmy has not hit his ceiling, yet. How high his ceiling is, none of us have any idea. And with the offense that we fielded last year, no one can say what his ceiling is. Hurney obviously thought that Clausen could be that guy, or he wouldn't have tried to trade up to get him. Give him a year with an NFL offense to see what he can do.

Do I wanna see another Alex Smith situation, where we give him 5+ years be fore we give up? No, but give the guy a fighting chance.

#100 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

see, i'm not saying to drop clausen. i'm saying to go out and get him some real frikking competition. as horrible as he was last year, contrary to all the excuses that people have flying around, it won't be difficult to find a young vet FA QB who can compete with him and probably win the job along with a few games. the available one ssure won't be worse than the old guys whose names keep getting floated around here.

i just don't see any advantage to going out and getting some old QB and doing nothing else. this franchise has wasted too much time going after old QBs. yes, i'm saying that beurelein, peete, and jake were all wastes. going after these old guys hurt the team in their pursuit of getting a young franchise QB. you keep going after these guys and you will always end up in the same situation. you don't get them unless you want to start them and you only start them because you are too scared of letting a young guy who just might have a future get a shot.

if clausen is going to be the future, he needs to compete for the fulltime job and get back on that field. the only way any of these guys will ever show they can do the job is by getting on the field and the sooner, the better. you don't do them any favors by sitting them on the sidelines and there is no longer an advantage to doing that.

#101 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:14 AM

Thoughts on who this young competition could be?

#102 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

I wouldn't mind a 1-2 year stop gap to see what Clausen can do. Beyond that I agree we would simply be applying bandaids to a gaping shotgun wound. And I would love to bring in a young guy to compete with/ beat out Clausen for the starting job. Outside of Kolb/Orton I don't see many options.

Fox loves vets, Elway loves The Golden Calf of Bristol; neither one is going anywhere. Vick will always be susceptible to injuries with the way he plays. So I doubt any of the possibilities that have been floated around the Huddle will be an option for us. For those reasons i think we need to bring in a vet/mentor to teach/push Jimmy and see what have in him.

#103 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,936 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:41 AM

Thoughts on who this young competition could be?

for competition: gradkowski, tarvaris jackson, grossman, thigpen, moore, alex smith, maybe derek anderson

add to that a reasonable trade for orton.

#104 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 5,833 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

I can't help but wish AE could somehow get a shot at running an offense from the QB position in training camp...

#105 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

Juimmy is cheap and still hasn't had a fair shot. Sit him on the bench we have him for pennies for 4 years, .

Maybe. We have had salary escalators in contracts before to boost salary based on playing time etc. His 10 starts could have raised him to more than pennies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.