Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,710 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

From the Red Zone (link)

"He’s a kid with elite ability, one of the only kids in the last 10 years where I can honestly say he can play every defensive line position in any scheme," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "He can play in the 3-4, he can play in the 4-3. He’s a difference-maker."

Although Fairley is an impressive prospect, Mayock said he needs to play with better pad level.

"What I think I want to see from him is to play with better leverage," Mayock said. "When he gets high, he gets washed. When he stays low and goes, it’s really impressive, but he needs to do that a higher percentage of times."

If he's right (and Mayock is someone I generally trust) then we'd have flexibility as far as what technique to play him in.

#2 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

He’s a kid with elite ability, one of the only kids in the last 10 years where I can honestly say he can play every defensive line position in any scheme," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "He can play in the 3-4, he can play in the 4-3. He’s a difference-maker."

i guess everyone but mayock sees the same thing in marcell dareus.

#3 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

Nick Fairley is best suited for 3 technique. That would maximize his potential IMO.

#4 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

plus brenston buckner thinks fairley is the quickest dt he's seen since sapp & feels he splits double teams better than alot of pro bowl caliber tackles makes him a strong possibility for us IMO

#5 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,413 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Yea but IMO he got washed way too much on a Dline that had other good talent. I may be wrong but he seems to be building up to being a bust. Just cant get Damian Lewis out of my head when I see this kid.

#6 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yea but IMO he got washed way too much on a Dline that had other good talent. I may be wrong but he seems to be building up to being a bust. Just cant get Damian Lewis out of my head when I see this kid.

i agree.

speed and quickness is usually the first thing to get put in check when someone first enters the nfl.

i just don't think fairley is strong enough to handle even an average nfl olineman.

the high pad level is a good indicator of someone who relies on speed. he doesn't get low because he isn't as physical as you would think a dt would be.

Edited by number28, 29 January 2011 - 03:35 PM.

#7 MattB

MattB

Project QB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Nick Flair! I think it's pretty much a done deal. He's the guy as long as he checks out at the combine.

#8 SPANKY

SPANKY

Smitty hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Something tell's me you are right snake fist.

#9 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

i agree.

speed and quickness is usually the first thing to get put in check when someone first enters the nfl.

i just don't think fairley is strong enough to handle even an average nfl olineman.

the high pad level is a good indicator of someone who relies on speed. he doesn't get low because he isn't as physical as you would think a dt would be.

REALLY?

We made it to here allready?

Speed and quickness are two of the things in the NFL that can't be taught or improved upon. The only other thing is heart.

Fairley is an ox. The only thing that a high pad level indicates is that he has break-downs in his fundamentals still. Which at his age and spending his early carreer in a JUCO, is not uncommon.

#10 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,457 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Everyone knows that one of the big differences between a rookie lineman and a veteran, in addition to the wide difference in technique and skill level, is strength and fitness. Fairley has a great frame to build on and already is very athletic. He won't be a force his first year most likely but he will fill a position of big need and like Otah his rookie year, contribute right away. But next season, he will be a force and a solid player for the next 10 years. With his size and speed and another 15-20 lbs of muscle, he will be able to execute Rivera's 4-3 as well as play the middle when we go to a 3-4 look on a pass rush. He is exactly what you want in a first round pick. Is he the only option? No. It all depends if you go defense or offense. There are several solid choices.

#11 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

On his strength: I think he has good upper body strength but average to below average lower body strength. I haven't seen him push the pile yet or drive a lineman back with his legs. Still, if he's good enough for Mayock, he's good enough for me. lol I guess I'll jump on this bandwagon.

#12 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• HUDDLER
  • 17,397 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

On his strength: I think he has good upper body strength but average to below average lower body strength. I haven't seen him push the pile yet or drive a lineman back with his legs. Still, if he's good enough for Mayock, he's good enough for me. lol I guess I'll jump on this bandwagon.

He's not a pile pusher, he's a 3 tech gap penetrator.

It's like everyone dogging Kemo for not getting in the backfield, but that wasn't who he is.

Fairley is the guy who slips blocks, beats double teams with speed, technique and does his work on the other side of the LOS. His skill set compares to Sapp, who was much the same coming into the league.

#13 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

He's not a pile pusher, he's a 3 tech gap penetrator.

It's like everyone dogging Kemo for not getting in the backfield, but that wasn't who he is.

Fairley is the guy who slips blocks, beats double teams with speed, technique and does his work on the other side of the LOS. His skill set compares to Sapp, who was much the same coming into the league.

Yeah I get that, I'm just making the fair assessment of who he is. I'm surprised that Mayock thinks he can play all those positions though, because of this. Is he saying he can play 34 NT? Is that just a slight slip of tongue?

#14 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

From the Red Zone (link)

If he's right (and Mayock is someone I generally trust) then we'd have flexibility as far as what technique to play him in.

I am starting to think he needs to be the pick

#15 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,021 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

peed and quickness are two of the things in the NFL that can't be taught or improved upon. The only other thing is heart.

when i say put in check, i mean nullify.

some can make it work at the next level, some can't.

people compare fairley to guys like sapp and (for some godforsaken reason) suh...he may be as quick, but he isn't as strong as either.

he's going to need both at the nfl level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.