• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#226 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

What is your evidence for the above statement/s? Keep in mind that scientific evidence=faith... but then science depends on faith... but if you're religious, all of the evidence you need is in the Bible, Koran, etc... but then that's not really evidence, that's just someone whom you cannot name and/or check their work... but you can't check any scientists' work... (well unless you have some way to type in their name & get multiple sources that show what they are about, but who has that?)... but that doesn't matter because science is the same as religion in that they believe things without evidence (well science doesn't, but why pick nits when you can pretend to be intelligent)... but if you just insist that science presents in absolutes the same way religion does (after being told over & over that it doesn't) you can pretend to be right if you point out a rare instance that was taken out of context.... yeah! Religion & science are the same! (as long as you ignore the evidence...)

Let's just say that science isn't always what it seems and can be manipulated....same goes for religion...I never attempted to infer equivalency.

#227 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:26 AM

Let's just say that science isn't always what it seems and can be manipulated....same goes for religion...I never attempted to iner equivalency.

You're right. You didn't say nor did you imply what I responded to. My apologies.

I don't offer this as an excuse but an explanation, a crazy rich guy offered me a deal to cater his SB party. He paid for the food & the smokers/grills, etc... already. If the food is a hit, I get $10k & my wife's charity gets $20k. I've been preping since 3am (pacific) & I won't get to bed til after the SB. I'm in over sensitive jackass mode at the moment

Again, I apologise.

Edited by BBQ&Beer, 06 February 2011 - 02:37 AM.

#228 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,132 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

Additionally the moon and earth have other unique properties. For example, apart from Pluto/Charon which are not considered planet and moon anymore, but a binary dwarf planet system of Kuiper Belt objects, there is no other body that has as much mass ratio as our planet and the moon.

In the infinitesimally small part of the Universe we have explored...

#229 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Without an account, we will never know our true history, but can only make guesses at what we see. That is a severly limited way of learning about the past.

#230 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

You're right. You didn't say nor did you imply what I responded to. My apologies.

I don't offer this as an excuse but an explanation, a crazy rich guy offered me a deal to cater his SB party. He paid for the food & the smokers/grills, etc... already. If the food is a hit, I get $10k & my wife's charity gets $20k. I've been preping since 3am (pacific) & I won't get to bed til after the SB. I'm in over sensitive jackass mode at the moment

Again, I apologise.

No worries...hope it went well...

Just to elaborate a little more, the point made about science in relation to faith applies to CAGW (Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming) since the "theory" behind that hasn't passed the test of the scientific method, thus the clouded waters of climate science we have today. Some will read this and say "wait, this guy obviously is a denier of Global Warming" and that's the toxic byproduct of science being manipulated and bent to conform to an agenda. I have no doubt the Earth has warmed. The real question seldom raised about this subject is how much of the warming over the past 100 years is due to man's influence and how much can be attributed to natural variations. If one reaches that level of inquiry, there are no definitive answers whatsoever, in contradiction to what has been widely proclaimed by many sources over the past 15-20 years.

I could continue, but the road to understanding all the factors that accompany the Anthropogenic Global Warming subject (which I'm not claiming to have a full grasp of) are way too broad for a thread titled "How did the moon get there? pinheads!!"

BTW....O'Reilly is simply another talking head playing to an audience...if folks can't get past that, then any deeper understanding of polarizing issues is damn near impossible.

#231 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:48 AM

Posted Image

#232 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

Leaving aside you have no evidence that we haven't done our own research,the only way we could have "faith" (little f) is if we had no evidence that
a) these scientists have the credentials to study, understand, & develop a theory on the subject,
b)these scientist have studied the subject,
c) these scientists have developed a theory based on scientific method,
d) these scientists have presented their work for peer review,
e) their theories passed peer review.

We do have that evidence.

True that they may have an agenda but the scientific method is designed to strip out that bias and deal with only evidence. Faith (little f) as it pertains to this subject is belief without evidence or complete belief in an idea. We have the evidence. Complete implies an absolute. Since science doesn't deal in absolutes... Sorry, still no "faith".

Excellent post! Thanks for responding you saved me sometime :)

#233 cantrell

cantrell

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

#234 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,257 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image

#235 cantrell

cantrell

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

this is the best thing o'reilly has ever been a part of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com