62 replies to this topic

#31 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

Mizuno Mx-23 irons, and a ping rapture driver. Haven't hit the links since nam though.

#32 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

Posted Image

I've been playing these for 5 years now and I really like them. The grips are just now starting to go and I play 3 times a week during the season.

The important thing is to hit as many different brands as you can with the gear to gauge your distance and accuracy. But one of the most underrated aspects of the club is it has to pass the eye test at address. If you're not comfortable looking down at the club at address and it just doesn't look right to you, nothing else matters because you'll never be able to hit it well.

Some of the offset clubs and hybrids I've tried never get beyond address with me because I'm not comfortable with what I'm looking at.

And always check out your local "Play It Again Sports" or "Golf USA" store. They both take used clubs in trade and they have to be in pretty good shape.

#33 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,791 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

I know a lot of people "fudge" their scores, but I've never understood the point of that... why lie, because when you go out and play with someone, you'll get busted.

#34 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

I know a lot of people "fudge" their scores, but I've never understood the point of that... why lie, because when you go out and play with someone, you'll get busted.

Unless you play with the same person consistently, you can just chalk it up do having a bad day. I've played with several people who shoot in the high 30s to low 40s on 9, but every time I play with them they shoot near 50. :rolleye:

#35 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

Don't go with any of the expensive sets, unless you are a very low handicapper. I have some Titleist knock-offs that have extended shafts (since I am 6'5).

#36 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

ya, I've got extended shafts too...thats what she said....and that is what worries me about this sale I am going to check out...pretty sure they will tell me no sale price on custom orders!

#37 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

you guys hitting steel shafts or graphite? I'll assume the driver is graphite, how about your irons?

#38 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

I'm playing my brother in laws 20 year old hand me down set of Northwesterns.

Well, the 2 or 3 times a year I get to play.

Glad I could help!

#39 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 19,565 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

you guys hitting steel shafts or graphite? I'll assume the driver is graphite, how about your irons?

steel all the way. I have a fast swing and the graphite tends to lag behind on my down swing.

#40 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

I suck, so I have to use steel. I had a set of graphite irons, and I was terribly inaccurate.

Hey, IDEA ALERT....we should do a Huddle golf tournament. If we get enough, we should do captain's choice...maybe make it same weekend as a training camp visit?

#41 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

That'd be sick...last time I was out there for Mini camp I got to play some nice courses and I'd love to do it again.

I play steel shafts as well.

#42 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• HUDDLER
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

Do not use graphite shafts. It takes so much off of your distance and control if you have even the smallest bit of muscle. If you get into the rough, it's like swinging a spaghetti noodle through feces. In other words, it doesn't work well.

#43 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,340 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

The general rule of thumb is this- swing speed is only one factor in considering graphite or steel shafts.

I am 6'6" and have 1" added to my club lengths. But that extra length also generates more momentum thru the ball.
A graphite shaft may give you more distance but a steel shaft will give you better accuracy. I'll take the accurate all day over a few yards.

I'm a +15 and I'll play anywhere, anytime if I can work it into my schedule. And, FWIW, my wife is the GM/COO of a private country club and I would be happy to host anyone for a round & cocktails... about 45-60 minutes out of Greensboro....

#44 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

These are what you need:

Posted Image

#45 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

Steel irons, graphite hybrids and woods.

You only want to use graphite irons if you are retirement age(or younger but a pussy) and consistently hit the ball straight(in the fairway)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.