Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zod

Agnosticism...

144 posts in this topic

Here was the main thing holding me back from being an atheist as I was growing up....there had to be a beginning to all of this, but then, there couldn't be, because whatever started, there had to be something before that, and before that, and before that. It's a conundrum that science will never be able to explain in terms I understand, so that makes me think it's possible we're all part of a Matrix type deal and God is putting us through all of this.

If there IS an explanation to the time conundrum, then time travel is impossible.

before? It's commonly believed that time itself began at the big bang.

tough to wrap our heads around when all of our basis of knowledge is based in cause and effect.

The only intellectually honest way of thinking.

So basically, your way of thinking is the only right way, and everyone else is wrong. Thats a very intolerant position you have. You should go to work for Glenn Beck or Michael Moore. :)

1 person likes this

Ahem... I basically predicted this thread days ago...

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2944405&postcount=87

People who absolutely believe in nothing of the supernatural sort, life after death, or anything at all having any purpose on the universal scale are your Atheists. They choose the extremely negative side of the argument, and rely on their lack of faith.

People who absolutely believe in something of the supernatural sort, life after death, and everything having purpose on the universal scale are your Religious people. They choose extremely positive side of the argument, and rely on their faith.

People who either don't know, don't care, or listen to the arguments from both sides, consider the possibility of a supernatural plane, life after death, and some things having purpose on the universal scale are your Agnostics. They can take either side in theological arguments, and often rely more on reason and logic than faith alone.

The biggest problems are that Religious people generally have an intolerance with the belief system of the other two groups and feel the need to "save" or "teach" people in them, and Atheists generally have a general intolerance for anyone that allows for the possibility, or adheres to, a supreme universal entity.

The difference in the atheist and the devotee, though, is that generally the atheist does not go around imposing and "saving" or "teaching" those that do not believe the same as he or she does, unless engaged in debate or provoked in some other manner.

Agnostics often get labeled the fence-sitter, as evidenced in this very thread, simply because they don't pick a side in the argument. They can often use the logic and belief of both the other sides against them.

Neither atheism, nor any religion, answers everything, so by adhering to one of those extremes is being intellectually lazy... Some form of Agnosticism however are far from lazy...

If I say Im Agnostic will any of u believe me?

1 person likes this

If I say Im Agnostic will any of u believe me?

I don't know.

neither do i. I claim to be muslim but dont believe a lot of the things my religion teaches. I grew up a muslim so will always have those roots to me and will always defend it because most people that talk about it know a lot less about it then they think they do. But in all honesty I am not too sure what the *** i am. I question it everyday.

1 person likes this

Cool...want some ham?

no.

neither do i. I claim to be muslim but dont believe a lot of the things my religion teaches. I grew up a muslim so will always have those roots to me and will always defend it because most people that talk about it know a lot less about it then they think they do. But in all honesty I am not too sure what the *** i am. I question it everyday.

Would you be urprised that you are not alone? :willy_nilly:

Neither atheism, nor any religion, answers everything, so by adhering to one of those extremes is being intellectually lazy... Some form of Agnosticism however are far from lazy...

So a philosophy that seeks to answer nothing in particular is not as lazy as those that attempt to answer everything?

not buying it.

I hate when people label any religion. Let people lead their own lives and STFU

3 people like this