Photo
- - - - -

Agnosticism...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
143 replies to this topic

#133 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:03 PM

Religion reminds me of environmentalism.

I am more environmentally conscious than many environmentalists

And more moral than many religious folk

#134 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

SUPPORTER

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

says the guy with the gordon gekko avatar

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures, the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed, you mark my words, will not only save the huddle, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the U.S.A

#135 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

how much is too much?

#136 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

Religion reminds me of environmentalism.

I am more environmentally conscious than many environmentalists

And more moral than many religious folk

My families water bottle consumption is ridiculous. I bought Britas. No dice. It drives me crazy. Drink tap water!

#137 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

HUDDLER

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Religion is the equivalent of politics...its all a distraction designed to essentially divide and keep us at ends with eachother, thus enabling control through division, facilitating hatred towards certain groups, while keeping the people ununified and powerless, so to speak. The division, hatred, and fear imposed on us through various societal avenues is our greatest enemy.

Edited by venom, 07 February 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#138 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Religion is the equivalent of politics...its all a distraction designed to essentially divide and keep us at ends with eachother, thus enabling control through division, facilitating hatred towards certain groups, while keeping the people ununified and powerless, so to speak. The division, hatred, and fear imposed on us through various societal avenues is our greatest enemy.

Religion, at least how I know it and practice it, is not about how you interact with other humans. Sure, there are some things in the Bible about not telling lies and not checking out married women, but there is only one way into heaven. That one way does not involve other people.

#139 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

HUDDLER

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

Religion, at least how I know it and practice it, is not about how you interact with other humans. Sure, there are some things in the Bible about not telling lies and not checking out married women, but there is only one way into heaven. That one way does not involve other people.

So you feel one's interactions and intentions with others holds no bearing on whether or not they attain entry to heaven? I would assume that arena would be amongst the most determining factors in considering if one can rightfully be characterized as a good person or not.

Edited by venom, 07 February 2011 - 10:11 PM.

#140 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:16 AM

And what way is that?

#141 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

Moderators

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

Through Jesus christ

#142 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

Through Jesus christ

Yeah but I'd like to see Googoodan's response.

#143 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

So....What would God say to the person that hedged their bets vs the person who did not believe but still acted morally, kind, and was generous.

Hedging my bet was probably not the right way to say it. I try and treat people well and be a good person because I think that is the right thing to do...not because I think God will strike me down if I don't.

#144 Kognan

Kognan

Barbarian Representative

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:52 AM

For me it simply means the God as described by the Bible is totally unbelievable and contradictory.
I don't believe anyone died and rose again.
All the Holy texts are written by men and inspired by older mythology in order to bring about a power grab and control the people.

The agnostic does what he or she thinks is right based on his or her own strength of will, not an exogenous source for right and wrong. He or she doesn't need a cosmic cop telling him what to do.

It aint better or worse than a godly moral compass.
But the compass IS there, it just doesn't need an imaginary friend to find north.

:thumbsup: