Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Maiocco has us taking Newton # 1 overall

277 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm actually taking a WGAF approach. I almost want us to pull a Raiders like move being that we'll probably be stuck with the # 1 pick and take a guy that's projected to go in the 6th round.

I'm thinking, if every team passed on Tom Brady 5+ times, what if we took a Tom Brady with the #1 pick? Sure, we'll look like asses on draft day, but if it pans out, we're geniuses. If it doesn't then everyone knew the guy would suck and wasn't supposed to be taken until the 6th round... Would be awesome.

You wrong cuz Cam is teh suk.

Posted

You wrong cuz Cam is teh suk.

I think Cam will be fine... But, I'm just saying in general, if we take a guy that no one predicts at #1, at least we won't have to deal with the expectations and the 'is he legit or a bust?'

It's a new draft strategy I've come up with for the team picking first. Pick someone that all teams agree sucks, get rid of the expectations, and if he is good then you're pleasantly surprised.

Posted

good thing his mock is the only one out of hundreds that has Newton #1

Posted

I wonder if Cam's better than Jimmy right now? I'd say yes but I doubt we'll take him #1.

I'd be very hesitant to say any college quarterback is better than even the worst pro QB (including Andrew Luck).

There's an adjustment that has to be made going to the pros, even for the best of them. They might be better in time, but I doubt I could ever buy that a kid who's still in college is better than a guy who's made the pro transition already.

Posted

I think Cam will be fine... But, I'm just saying in general, if we take a guy that no one predicts at #1, at least we won't have to deal with the expectations and the 'is he legit or a bust?'

It's a new draft strategy I've come up with for the team picking first. Pick someone that all teams agree sucks, get rid of the expectations, and if he is good then you're pleasantly surprised.

LOL :D Jake Locker FTW...

I'd be very hesitant to say any college quarterback is better than even the worst pro QB (including Andrew Luck).

There's an adjustment that has to be made going to the pros, even for the best of them. They might be better in time, but I doubt I could ever buy that a college kid is better than a guy who's made the pro transition already.

I would not go so far as to say Clausen has made that transition. Alex Smith never did.

Posted

Is Tony Pike that bad? So bad he's not worth a mild consideration even? I agree Mr.Scot, but I'am not sold on Jimmy, but I think he need's another shot.

Posted

i can see it, especially if there is somehow a cap on rookies. Risk wont be as high financially.... number one overall is a money thing you take that away its just another pick based on talent.

Posted

I would not go so far as to say Clausen has made that transition. Alex Smith never did.

Clausen has played in pro games and has had moments even if he's not great.

Stick any college kid - Newton, Luck, Gabbert, any of 'em - in the starting lineup of a pro game right now and they'd fold like an accordion.

Regarding Pike, I think we still don't know about him. You just can't reliably judge by last season.

Posted

Yeah let's draft another project.

Would be fun to listen to Hurney talk about how we need to transition him out of the spread offense over the next 2 or 3 years. One day we might have a whole football team of projects.

Posted

Gantt believes this mess? What a boner.

Actually I think Gantt was just being sarcastic here. A little "its feb nobody knows nothing" kind of attitude.

Posted

Clausen has played in pro games and has had moments even if he's not great.

Stick any college kid - Newton, Luck, Gabbert, any of 'em - in the starting lineup of a pro game right now and they'd fold like an accordion.

Regarding Pike, I think we still don't know about him. You just can't reliably judge by last season.

I figure at the end of training camp and preseason (assuming no lockout that lingers past June) guys like Newton would be as good or better than Clausen. The difference is that while Clausen has more experience he does not have the physical talents. Plus a downfield thrower has to be somewhat of a gambler, and Clausen seems too unwilling to throw it down the field. That could change with a new regime, but Clausen has never been a gunslinger.

The problem I see with Clausen is whether for example he has the arm strength to make all the throws. With guys like Newton or Gabbert, they definitely do.

Posted

Yeah let's draft another project.

Would be fun to listen to Hurney talk about how we need to transition him out of the spread offense over the next 2 or 3 years. One day we might have a whole football team of projects.

Anyone you draft is a project. Fairley won't come in here and tear it up right away either. He will get owned by guys with half his talent until he develops better foot and hand techniques and understands the pro-game which for defensive linemen take at least 8-10 most often more. So the question is not whether we take a project, simply which one and how long will it take for the light to come on.