275 replies to this topic

#16 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,429 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

I wonder if Cam's better than Jimmy right now? I'd say yes but I doubt we'll take him #1.

I'd be very hesitant to say any college quarterback is better than even the worst pro QB (including Andrew Luck).

There's an adjustment that has to be made going to the pros, even for the best of them. They might be better in time, but I doubt I could ever buy that a kid who's still in college is better than a guy who's made the pro transition already.

#17 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,127 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

I think Cam will be fine... But, I'm just saying in general, if we take a guy that no one predicts at #1, at least we won't have to deal with the expectations and the 'is he legit or a bust?'

It's a new draft strategy I've come up with for the team picking first. Pick someone that all teams agree sucks, get rid of the expectations, and if he is good then you're pleasantly surprised.

LOL :D Jake Locker FTW...

I'd be very hesitant to say any college quarterback is better than even the worst pro QB (including Andrew Luck).

There's an adjustment that has to be made going to the pros, even for the best of them. They might be better in time, but I doubt I could ever buy that a college kid is better than a guy who's made the pro transition already.

I would not go so far as to say Clausen has made that transition. Alex Smith never did.

#18 SPANKY

SPANKY

Smitty hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Is Tony Pike that bad? So bad he's not worth a mild consideration even? I agree Mr.Scot, but I'am not sold on Jimmy, but I think he need's another shot.

#19 nationsford

nationsford

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

i can see it, especially if there is somehow a cap on rookies. Risk wont be as high financially.... number one overall is a money thing you take that away its just another pick based on talent.

#20 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,429 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

I would not go so far as to say Clausen has made that transition. Alex Smith never did.

Clausen has played in pro games and has had moments even if he's not great.

Stick any college kid - Newton, Luck, Gabbert, any of 'em - in the starting lineup of a pro game right now and they'd fold like an accordion.

Regarding Pike, I think we still don't know about him. You just can't reliably judge by last season.

#21 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,901 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

Yeah let's draft another project.

Would be fun to listen to Hurney talk about how we need to transition him out of the spread offense over the next 2 or 3 years. One day we might have a whole football team of projects.

#22 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Gantt believes this mess? What a boner.

Actually I think Gantt was just being sarcastic here. A little "its feb nobody knows nothing" kind of attitude.

#23 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

Clausen has played in pro games and has had moments even if he's not great.

Stick any college kid - Newton, Luck, Gabbert, any of 'em - in the starting lineup of a pro game right now and they'd fold like an accordion.

Regarding Pike, I think we still don't know about him. You just can't reliably judge by last season.

I figure at the end of training camp and preseason (assuming no lockout that lingers past June) guys like Newton would be as good or better than Clausen. The difference is that while Clausen has more experience he does not have the physical talents. Plus a downfield thrower has to be somewhat of a gambler, and Clausen seems too unwilling to throw it down the field. That could change with a new regime, but Clausen has never been a gunslinger.

The problem I see with Clausen is whether for example he has the arm strength to make all the throws. With guys like Newton or Gabbert, they definitely do.

#24 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Yeah let's draft another project.

Would be fun to listen to Hurney talk about how we need to transition him out of the spread offense over the next 2 or 3 years. One day we might have a whole football team of projects.

Anyone you draft is a project. Fairley won't come in here and tear it up right away either. He will get owned by guys with half his talent until he develops better foot and hand techniques and understands the pro-game which for defensive linemen take at least 8-10 most often more. So the question is not whether we take a project, simply which one and how long will it take for the light to come on.

#25 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

I figure at the end of training camp and preseason (assuming no lockout that lingers past June) guys like Newton would be as good or better than Clausen. The difference is that while Clausen has more experience he does not have the physical talents. Plus a downfield thrower has to be somewhat of a gambler, and Clausen seems too unwilling to throw it down the field. That could change with a new regime, but Clausen has never been a gunslinger.

The problem I see with Clausen is whether for example he has the arm strength to make all the throws. With guys like Newton or Gabbert, they definitely do.

In college, one of Clausen's criticisms was that he took too many chances down field, relying on his receiver to make a play...

Add in that one of his strengths was his quick release, and clearly something significant changed between college and the pros

#26 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,429 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

In college, one of Clausen's criticisms was that he took too many chances down field, relying on his receiver to make a play...

Add in that one of his strengths was his quick release, and clearly something significant changed between college and the pros

http://blogs.charlotte.com/.a/6a00d8341c02fd53ef010536e13f5b970c-800wi

#27 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,263 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Yup, I think what changed is that Clausen is a slow starter... same pattern at ND. He came out of high school as the LeBron James of football and stunk it up his first season at ND, but gradually he adjusted and played pretty well towards the end.

The learning curve from college to the pros is much steeper than it is from HS to college, so it stands to reason that it will take him more time to adjust (assuming he can make the adjustment).

#28 RockyTopVol

RockyTopVol

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I want Locker to go in the top ten just to spite Mel Kiper who has him going in the second round.

#29 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

http://blogs.charlotte.com/.a/6a00d8341c02fd53ef010536e13f5b970c-800wi

I know it seems a touch extreme to just blame everything on someone else whilst ignore what is staring you in the face, but Clausen played almost like a polar opposite to what he did at college.

I don't know what it is about Clausen, it's irrational, but I feel like we really didn't see the real him.

#30 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Yup, I think what changed is that Clausen is a slow starter... same pattern at ND. He came out of high school as the LeBron James of football and stunk it up his first season at ND, but gradually he adjusted and played pretty well towards the end.

The learning curve from college to the pros is much steeper than it is from HS to college, so it stands to reason that it will take him more time to adjust (assuming he can make the adjustment).

Possibly, but what about the disappearance of his best trait? His quick release?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com