#1 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

A place to discuss all things that have to do with brewing your own beer or other alcohol.

I found out last night that my wife got me a Cooper's home brew kit for Valentine's Day. It comes with what is needed to brew a lager, and she also got me a dark ale kit. I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, BruceBrewski started a thread celebrating his first brew, but I thought a general one was in order. Share types, tips, recipes or whatever else.

Edited by King Klong, 12 January 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#2 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

btw, that first brew has been bottled.

#3 boo7382

boo7382

• HUDDLER
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

Congrats Klong! Brew some and bring it to a TG next season

#4 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

i intend to do some youtube searching later for anything helpful, and will post any good ones that i find.

#5 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Since I haven't started homebrewing yet, I can't offer many tips -- but I will say that www.homebrewtalk.com and www.beeradvocate.com are both great resources.

#6 theedaddy

theedaddy

living in the present

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

when i have free time, this is on my list.....

goodluck guys!

#7 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

thanks for the links beaux. i'll be checking those out when i get a chance. work doesn't allow, and i'll have to make some time at home. are those forums?

#8 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

found this one while eating lunch. its an unboxing and how to of the kit that i'll be using. this guy has a bunch of videos too.

#9 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

thanks for the links beaux. i'll be checking those out when i get a chance. work doesn't allow, and i'll have to make some time at home. are those forums?

They are. HomeBrewTalk.com is my favorite -- it just has a wealth of information on all things homebrewing (they've even got a nice section on winemaking and cider brewing).

BeerAdvocate.com is used by most people for the beer reviews, but they do have several sub-forums (of which their homebrewing forum is one).

#10 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Homebrewtalk.com has a droid app. Sweeet!

#11 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,869 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

found this one while eating lunch. its an unboxing and how to of the kit that i'll be using. this guy has a bunch of videos too.

I know I'm being nit picky as hell but at about 7 40 he says "stir for a couple of minutes to make sure it is all dissolved and separtated..." Dissolved and separated are pretty much opposites haha

#12 lymelizzard

lymelizzard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Location\/\/ /\/ C

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

A place to discuss all things that have to with brewing your own beer.

I found out last night that my wife got me a Cooper's home brew kit for Valentine's Day. It comes with what is needed to brew a lager, and she also got me a dark ale kit. I'm pretty excited.

Anyway, BruceBrewski started a thread celebrating his first brew, but I thought a general one was in order. Share types, tips, recipes or whatever else.

I made my first run with this kit yesterday. Only been 24 hours, so far I haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock, and the top of the beer is starting to get really foamy.

#13 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

I've got the lager kit in the carboy right now, and it is bubbling out the airlock nicely. I tried starting with my dark ale kit, but stupidly tried multi-tasking and my pot boiled over, and made a huge mess. You live, you learn.

I boiled my extract and sugar for about 45 minutes per the suggestion of the book I bought, and then went with less water for the final mixture to try and get a little more kick. I was hoping for 20L, but ended up with 22L because I needed to cool it down more before pitching the yeast. I used ice. Hopefully, I didn't do anything to mess it up. Should be bottling by next weekend.

#14 DC Amp

DC Amp

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,394 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Home Brew....I though this was a thread about hacking a Nintendo Wii?

#15 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,054 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Just started all-grain brewing.

Me and my bud brewed a Highland Gaelic Ale clone yesterday. Should be fantastic.

This is my first all grain brew, but my friend is more experianced. He has made awesome beers. He made a Honey Porter a couple weeks ago. And he made a 60 min IPA clone, which taste IDENTICAL!

Can't wait to buy my all-grain brewing stuff when I get my tax return!!

I fuggin love beer and making beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com