Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kettle

The Official Home Brew Thread

149 posts in this topic

I hope my newest one will be good. It is a pale ale that should come in at 7%. When I moved it to secondary I split it into two buckets, and added some fresh jalapeno to one half. I've had some pepper beers, and am just interested to see how much heat I'll be getting from two peppers in ~2.5 gallons.

did you keep the seeds?

Yes. I sliced the length of them, sanitized with vodka, and put in everything but the stem.

Hopefully. I'm definitely tasting during bottling.

so it definitely hits your tongue with jalapeno flavor, but it doesn't linger to the point of burning your mouth even a little. I think I got it right the first time.

My pale ale is pretty good. The jalapeno version is better.

Got a new pot. 9 gallon SS with two welded fittings for a ball valve and a thermometer. I used it for the first time this weekend to brew an Octoberfest. It made brewing so much easier. Its a gallon bigger than my old pot, and I came no where near a boil over because of it. Having the thermometer and valve built in made things very simple too. It was the easiest brew night for me ever. Lager ready in ~2 months.

Is anyone doing anymore brewing? I was in Wilmington at the Homebrew Supply this past week - loaded up on the makings for about 3 batches of beer. Both malt and hops seem expensive to me where ever you get it.

Any of you guys do grain only brewing? Is it a huge pain in the but?

Sorry I missed this. I don't seem to get notifications on this thread for some reason. I haven't brewed in about two months, but the last one I did was brew in a bag. It wasn't all that easy cuz of my equipment, but I've improved that for my next batch. I've made a zapap mash tun with some food grade buckets I got from work. Now I won't have to pull the grains out of the boil kettle like last time.

Doing all grain is supposed to be much cheaper than using extract, but I came out the same because I did a big brew that came out close to 8%. Regardless you're coming out cheaper than if you bought retail beers. I did a breakfast stout, and came out about $1.10 per bottle. Similar beers like the one by founders can run $4 a bottle or $10-12 a 4 pack. Same argument applies to the octoberfest I did before that one which came in at 7.5%.

Id like to be able to do the all grain brews just wondering how much time they take compared to the malt extract brews - I cant see myself standing over a pot on the stove for a couple of hours.

add an hour to an hour and a half to your brew time for all grain. that time is spent heating mash water, letting the mash sit(30-60 mins) and heating then using sparge water. The benefit of all grain is the cost in some eyes, but more than that you get more ability to alter your flavor profile by using a multitude of different grains rather than a bulk of extract.