Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Home Brew Thread

149 posts in this topic

Posted

I've got the lager kit in the carboy right now, and it is bubbling out the airlock nicely. I tried starting with my dark ale kit, but stupidly tried multi-tasking and my pot boiled over, and made a huge mess. You live, you learn.

I boiled my extract and sugar for about 45 minutes per the suggestion of the book I bought, and then went with less water for the final mixture to try and get a little more kick. I was hoping for 20L, but ended up with 22L because I needed to cool it down more before pitching the yeast. I used ice. Hopefully, I didn't do anything to mess it up. Should be bottling by next weekend.

Posted

Home Brew....I though this was a thread about hacking a Nintendo Wii?

Posted

Just started all-grain brewing.

Me and my bud brewed a Highland Gaelic Ale clone yesterday. Should be fantastic.

This is my first all grain brew, but my friend is more experianced. He has made awesome beers. He made a Honey Porter a couple weeks ago. And he made a 60 min IPA clone, which taste IDENTICAL!

Can't wait to buy my all-grain brewing stuff when I get my tax return!!

I fuggin love beer and making beer.

Posted

I made my first run with this kit yesterday. Only been 24 hours, so far I haven't seen any bubbles in the airlock, and the top of the beer is starting to get really foamy.

On the 27th I bottled and thus the secondary fermentation has began.

Posted

What kind of equipment are you looking to buy Bruce? I'm looking forward to taking on advanced techniques, and developing my own recipes. Still have a lot to learn.

Posted

7058.jpg

When my tax return comes, I am gonna buy one of these (8 gallon brew pot w/valve and thermometer). And shortly there after, me and my dad are going to convert a big gatorade cooler into a mashtun.

Then I am thinking that we use some copper pipping to make a wort chiller, if thats not cost effciant then I will just buy one.

I already have a propane burner, and all the other things needed for brewing, so then I will forever be converted to all-grain brewing, but in the meantime I am using my buddies stuff.

I am planning on brewing an American style wheat beer for the Summer. Then we are gonna work on a 90 minute IPA clone.

1 person likes this

Posted

Okay, so all you guys get good at this, then I will throw some funds behind it when ready and we can start our own micro-brewery. Who wouldn't want to make beer for a living?

Posted

Okay, so all you guys get good at this, then I will throw some funds behind it when ready and we can start our own micro-brewery. Who wouldn't want to make beer for a living?

DEAL!:cheers2:

Posted

me too!!

Posted

New Pot!

i586zm.jpg

Posted

I picked up a cheap pot this weekend. 15 bucks for a 4 gallon stainless steel. pretty awesome deal.

I also found a local brew shop that has all kinds of ingredients and kits. He even sells kits under his own brand name. Lumina Winery. I'll be picking up one of his for my next batch. The current one(Coopers Lager) is ready to bottle.

Posted

Im am pumped about my pot

Stainless steal 9 gallon pot. 2 welded female couplings to hold a thermometer and Stainless Steel ball valve.

I wanted a pot to do full all-grain boils. Because most all-grain boils, you have to start with 7 gallons of wort.

I got all this for 140$, which is an absolute steal. I easily saved 110$.