#137 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hopefully. I'm definitely tasting during bottling.

#138 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

so it definitely hits your tongue with jalapeno flavor, but it doesn't linger to the point of burning your mouth even a little. I think I got it right the first time.

#139 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

My pale ale is pretty good. The jalapeno version is better.

Got a new pot. 9 gallon SS with two welded fittings for a ball valve and a thermometer. I used it for the first time this weekend to brew an Octoberfest. It made brewing so much easier. Its a gallon bigger than my old pot, and I came no where near a boil over because of it. Having the thermometer and valve built in made things very simple too. It was the easiest brew night for me ever. Lager ready in ~2 months.

#140 Rip Saw

Rip Saw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Is anyone doing anymore brewing? I was in Wilmington at the Homebrew Supply this past week - loaded up on the makings for about 3 batches of beer. Both malt and hops seem expensive to me where ever you get it.

Any of you guys do grain only brewing? Is it a huge pain in the but?

#141 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Sorry I missed this. I don't seem to get notifications on this thread for some reason. I haven't brewed in about two months, but the last one I did was brew in a bag. It wasn't all that easy cuz of my equipment, but I've improved that for my next batch. I've made a zapap mash tun with some food grade buckets I got from work. Now I won't have to pull the grains out of the boil kettle like last time.

Doing all grain is supposed to be much cheaper than using extract, but I came out the same because I did a big brew that came out close to 8%. Regardless you're coming out cheaper than if you bought retail beers. I did a breakfast stout, and came out about $1.10 per bottle. Similar beers like the one by founders can run $4 a bottle or $10-12 a 4 pack. Same argument applies to the octoberfest I did before that one which came in at 7.5%.

#142 Rip Saw

Rip Saw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Id like to be able to do the all grain brews just wondering how much time they take compared to the malt extract brews - I cant see myself standing over a pot on the stove for a couple of hours.

#143 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

add an hour to an hour and a half to your brew time for all grain. that time is spent heating mash water, letting the mash sit(30-60 mins) and heating then using sparge water. The benefit of all grain is the cost in some eyes, but more than that you get more ability to alter your flavor profile by using a multitude of different grains rather than a bulk of extract.

#144 Rip Saw

Rip Saw

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the information!

#145 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

You're welcome

#146 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Finally going full fledged all grain! Picked up a 10 gallon igloo cooler from home depot the other day, and its first run as my mash tun is gonna be awesome. Saturday I'll do a big chocolate stout that will come out about 8.5% ABV. Grain bill came out to 16.5 lbs. Can't wait!

#147 Guest_Tom Cat_*

Guest_Tom Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

16.5 pounds is a lot of grain - you must have a big brew pot.

#148 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

The 10 gallon cooler will hold all the grain during mashing. According to the can i mash it calculator I can do up to 25 lbs in it with 1.25 qt/lb. the brew pot will only get the wort drained from there. It is a 9 gallon pot though that I upgraded to cuz I was tired of worrying about boil overs. My final volume will be around 5 gallons.

#149 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,289 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

I broke my plastic spoon during the mash of my last brew so I made this to replace it.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.