#31 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Tried the lager for the first time tonight. It is as coopers describes and therefore not something I will make again. I'm just not fond of light beers. I'll be saving them for a cookout our for when friends are over though.

Edited by King Klong, 27 March 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#32 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:53 AM

I bottled my second brew last night. King Klong baby bock. It is a true brew ingredient kit, and it seems to have turned out well based on the little taste I had while bottling. I ran the numbers through the brewzor calculator droid app, and its 4.58%. According to the kit the max it could achieve would have been 5.2%.

I think I know how I lost that little bit, but am not entirely sure. Still though. I can't wait to pop one in honor of my daughter's birth.

#33 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Well I'm about to go for my fourth brew, and I'm going to alter the kit that I bought. It's Brewer's Best weizenbier, and comes out to around 4.8% ABV according to the instructions. Once I'm done with the boil I'm going to mash in some raspberries, and let them steep in the wort. I bought fresh ones, and then froze them. That's supposed to let them release more of their juices during steeping. All the sugar will raise the ABV, but I'm not sure to what. We'll see once it's all mixed up. I'm probably just gonna tag this one with a generic "Raspberry Wheat" label.

I'll be drinking on my third brew, a nut brown ale, while doing this. Nutty Monkey. It's damn good. 5.8%.

What are you guys doing? lymelizzard? BruceBrewski? anyone?

#34 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

This last week, I just bottled a Summer Ale that I made. Which it turned out really good, smooth, little sweet, little bitter finish. Described in one word : refreshing. Then, I bottled my 60- min DF Clone, its been a week and I havent tasted it yet, but I am expecting good results.

I am planning on taking my beer to the my work today and pouring them into glasses and taking pics to show colors. I'll post them later.

This weekend I am gonna make another 2 batches. I am making another Summer Ale, maybe the same recipe, maybe not. Then I am going to make a highland gaelic ale clone.

The exciting part is that I am going to try to get into kegging this weekend. I am searching for a kegerator or a good deal on a mini fridge to make it into one.

Which would be amazing, because I could bring it to Huddle tailgates and plug it into my truck. Craft Draft at the tailgate!

#35 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

I'm looking for the ras wheat i'm doing to be refreshing, and a good summer beer. I've gotten some more equipment, and I think I'm progressing fairly well. I have two containers now so that I can siphon off the top of sediment, a siphon and a floating thermometer. I've also been collecting bottles and have probably 6 cases worth now. I need to start brewing more often to try and keep them full.

#36 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

Are you doing all-grain or extract?

#37 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

the bock and nut brown were both partials. some extract and some grains. this next one is all extract with hop pellets.

#38 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

Nice, I have made the change over to strictly all-grain.

Its just a more fun process.

I think after my next two beers, I am going to make an DFH Aprihop clone.

#39 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'll get there eventually. I can see what you mean though from doing the partials. Those kits called for the grains to be steeped, removed and then you start the boil. The instructions tell you when to add what. It's pretty fool proof too. They just took more time to do than all extract, and I got to see things develop.

#40 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

Just tasted my first 60 min clone, and I must say, it was spot on.

Really awesome. Love when they turn out this way.

I've got 46 more, stop by for a brew.

Posted Image

#41 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

Question for you BruceBrewski.

What do you carbonate with, and how long does it take to finish?

I've used carbonation drops for my first few, but used priming sugar this last time, and I'm wondering how long I should give it.

#42 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

priming sugar took 3 weeks to carbonate my raspberry wheat. i think i'll be using the drops in the future. they are just a ton quicker.

#43 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

my Raspberry witbier came out pretty good in my opinion. It tastes like a witbier with a little bittersweet flavor from the berries, and it is very red.

i plan to do a pale ale next. not sure when though.

#44 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

hey guys, quick question... How do you control your fermentation temp?

i got an icecube cooler that i modified to fit a carboy but i still can't get it down as low as I want. Any suggestions?

#45 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,412 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Read this tip in a book.

Put the carboy in something larger and surround it with water. Drape a t shirt over the carboy and let it hang into the water. The shirt will draw in moisture and drop the temp of the beer around 5 degrees. I read that you want the t shirt all the way up to the airlock and that you can also use a towel but it would me more likely to mold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com