#121 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

interesting about the new store in Wilmy - with the price of gas though it makes about a $ 25 round trip for me from here- at that price I can afford the shipping charges from online -

as an aside- does anyone remember Dergys beer?

just looked up the new places address- they are very close to another place that used to sell home brew and wine making supplies - that went out of business years ago- a little strip mall close to Honest Injun

#122 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ok a question for the experts - I want to use DME with my next batch of mr beer to bring up the alcohol content and make the beer taste maltier- the mr beer onlyt uses HME and corn sugar they call booster- you dont have to boil the HME according to their directions - only the syrup you make from the " booster " is brought to a boil then removed from the heat and the HME added to it. From what I have read you have to boil DME - how long does the DME need to boil for and why do I need to boil it? Is it to kill the bad stuff or does it need to boil to activate it and release the sugars?

#123 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

both... are you not using hops?

#124 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. There are hops in the HME from mr beer and Im also planning on hopping the last few minutes of the boil using a t ball. Does that sound ok?

#125 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

i mean... use up what you have but I'd stay away from prehopped hme... the quality just isnt as good and you don't have as much control. If you aren't doing grain try to stick with fresh liquid DME.

That said, I've never used hme. That's just my understanding of it.

you really don't need to use a tea ball either, just throw the hops in there... they'll settle out with your break.

#126 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

not sure how I missed these last few posts, but bump for having a fermentation chamber now! $85 for a 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer off craigslist and another $75 for a wired johnson A419. I'm looking forward to tasting the difference this makes, and to being able to brew more this summer. Cheers!

#127 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Ive been thinking about this problem- I have a little fridge that I coudl uyse but it will only stay at 45 degrees max- I dont want lagered beer- do wine coolers stay at warmer temps say about 60 to 70 degrees?

what is a johnson a419?

#128 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

It is a digital temperature controller. It will cut off the freezer when the set temperature is reached, and let it come back on when needed. I got a wired one, but you can get them unwired, and do it yourself to save ten or twenty bucks. They also come in analog versions and different companies make them.

#129 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Interesting about the temp controller- I was wondering if there was a way to do it - does the one you bouught work on refridgerators too or just freezers? What do you mean by a " wired" one? I took a look on e bay and amazon and there are several models of the a419 - is one better than another for using it to control a freezer or fridge?

#130 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

wired arrives ready to plug in. with an unwired one you have to chop an extension cord in half, and wire it up yourself. It doesn't appear to be that hard, but I figure by the time I've bought the cord and wire nuts, and then taken the time to do it, I really haven't saved anything.

the device will work on a fridge too, but you lose the freezer capability that you have.

the different models are all equal in what they do. there are different electric ratings on them though for volts and amps. that's another reason I got one already wired. I don't want to get the wrong diagram, and burn money basically as soon as I plug it up.

This is what I got. http://www.amazon.co...cs_sce_3p_dp_1.

edit: if you don't see a plug in the picture then it probably isn't wired.

#131 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Got you - thanks - I may invest in one of these.

#132 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Anyone made any good brews lately -? I started a wheat beer last week - it will be interesting to see how it turns out - I added 3/4 cup of honey to the batch along with the DW/BME and hops.

I also visited that new brew store in Wilmington -on Kerr Ave and bought some stuff - I hope he can keep it up and running - seemed pretty slow in there althugh it was a weekday.

#133 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

I hope my newest one will be good. It is a pale ale that should come in at 7%. When I moved it to secondary I split it into two buckets, and added some fresh jalapeno to one half. I've had some pepper beers, and am just interested to see how much heat I'll be getting from two peppers in ~2.5 gallons.

#134 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

did you keep the seeds?

#135 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,161 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes. I sliced the length of them, sanitized with vodka, and put in everything but the stem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.