Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

High Speed Rail initiative

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
160 replies to this topic

#151 natty

natty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

I'm a fan of high speed rail for very targeted areas that make economic sense.  I'd rather not spend billions of dollars on technology that's essentially hundreds of years old.  The future of transportation is in self driving cars and/or 'pod' systems imo(at least in this country).  

#152 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

DDII I've taken that trip from Paris to Caen. Rented a car down the street from the train station and out to the different places. Off the path of the normal places to visit check out the German cemetery as well -

I wish we had time to do that, but we are limited.  Also trying to avoid going to much in debt.  4 days in Paris (at least one of which will be spent recovering from the flight), 1 day in Normandy, and maybe if we can swing it, a day trip to London. 

I told my wife we can go to Paris this year, but for our next vacation, about all we will be able to afford is a trip to Statesville.  :)

#153 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

HUDDLER

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

eurorail passes are freaking horribly expensive. if you just wanna get there take ryanair, they're obscenely cheap

Wow, just checked them out and you are right.  Had I seen that before, I might have changed my plans.  Had thought about going to Rome for four days then Paris, but the train from Rome to Paris was really expensive. Don't think I can take a flight from Paris to Normandy though.

#154 PhillyB

PhillyB

sườn núi phía đông thứ ba của mặt trời

HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

ryanair rome to paris will probably be like 40 bucks

#155 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

ryanair rome to paris will probably be like 40 bucks

I would feel pretty leery about getting on a plane to anyplace for only forty bucks.

They have got to be cutting costs somewhere.

Does this plane actually have seats or do they pack you in a crate before boarding?

#156 PhillyB

PhillyB

HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

I would feel pretty leery about getting on a plane to anyplace for only forty bucks.

They have got to be cutting costs somewhere.

Does this plane actually have seats or do they pack you in a crate before boarding?

they cater to the int'l backpacker crowd, so you're gooshed in like sardines in a can and if you're carrying more than like 15 kilos they'll poo all over your wallet

#157 PhillyB

PhillyB

HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

just checked it's currently $49 on ryanair. cheapest airfare i've seen from an international airline, except for maybe airasia, where you can still hop a flight from kuala lumpur, malaysia to borneo for thirty fuging dollars

#158 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

HUDDLER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

just checked it's currently $49 on ryanair. cheapest airfare i've seen from an international airline, except for maybe airasia, where you can still hop a flight from kuala lumpur, malaysia to borneo for thirty fuging dollars

That is an awesome price!

This includes a proper landing, right, or should I plan on bringing a parachute with me?

#159 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

SUPPORTER

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:47 AM

Funny story about Ryanair.  They tried to get a law passed where they could sell standing room only tickets on their flights. 

#160 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

eurorail passes are freaking horribly expensive. if you just wanna get there take ryanair, they're obscenely cheap

it is, but it's the equivalent of flying into concord regional instead of charlotte douglas

#161 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

That is an awesome price!

This includes a proper landing, right, or should I plan on bringing a parachute with me?

its a very good airline. and they seem to have certain "standards" with their flight attendants (hint: they sell swimsuit calendars with them)... At least that was the case back when I lived in Europe.

The problem is that they save money by going to alternate airports. Fly to London, you won't land at heathrow. you'll land at stansted. many of their airports in Germany were old US airforce bases that were given up in the 70s and 80s.