Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam Newton Workout Phenomenal

694 posts in this topic

Posted

I also want to remind everyone about The Golden Calf of Bristol's workout last year and his improved throwing motion. This season you could see he reverted back to his old habits and the "improvements" didn't stick. When the bullets are flying it's a lot different then when they aren't.

Just some food for thought, take it as you will.

IMO The Golden Calf of Bristol had a lot farther to go than Cam does with his throwing motion. he threw the ball a lot like Colin Kaepernick (sp?) does this year. Cam's footwork is iffy but he has a more fluid, tighter throwing motion than The Golden Calf of Bristol did. Again this is just my opinion. Having said that I really like The Golden Calf of Bristol and think he will pan out to be a good QB. His only two starts this year were both better than any of Clausen's.

My personal rankings (which means squat) on last years "big 4" was Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol, Clausen, then McCoy. I really didn't like McCoy much last year, and even though he had some success I'm still not sold on him. But it is safe to say he had a better year than Clausen.

So far this year I have Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, then Locker. That is subject to change.

Posted

IMO The Golden Calf of Bristol had a lot farther to go than Cam does with his throwing motion. he threw the ball a lot like Colin Kaepernick (sp?) does this year. Cam's footwork is iffy but he has a more fluid, tighter throwing motion than The Golden Calf of Bristol did. Again this is just my opinion. Having said that I really like The Golden Calf of Bristol and think he will pan out to be a good QB. His only two starts this year were both better than any of Clausen's.

My personal rankings (which means squat) on last years "big 4" was Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol, Clausen, then McCoy. I really didn't like McCoy much last year, and even though he had some success I'm still not sold on him. But it is safe to say he had a better year than Clausen.

So far this year I have Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, then Locker. That is subject to change.

I'm not trying to compare them but just show that what happens in workouts doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the field, and it doesn't mean it won't. You just have to take them for what they are.

Posted

I'm not trying to compare them but just show that what happens in workouts doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to the field, and it doesn't mean it won't. You just have to take them for what they are.

I don't disagree with that.

Posted

I don't disagree with that.

There is a first time for everything ;)

Posted

To follow up on my earlier post I would not have given Clausen a first round grade. Well, maybe a late first round.

I did think that he was a great value where the Panthers got him however.

I also have it pretty close with Mallett and Gabbert and once I see more of Gabbert they could flip flop. Right now i would have them both mid to late first round. Newton of course I have top ten. I don't think Cam will make it out of the top 5 when it is all said and done. If we don't get him look out for Buffalo at number 3. They need to sell tickets and become relevant again, and some of the local press are eating Cam up (in a good way).

Right now Locker for me is second or third round although he likely will get drafted higher than that. Again it means squat but wanted to put it out there.

Posted

What is a newton?

cookiesgalleryfignewtons.jpg

The amount of force it takes to accelerate 1kg 1m per secon.... oh...

1 person likes this

Posted

I would agree on throwing motion, but Cam isn't changing his throwing motion, he's learning how to take snaps from under center and drop back, and he's pretty much a blank slate in that regard so it's not like he has years of bad habits to try and unlearn.

Posted

Matt Bowen of National Football Post said it hasn't changed the opinions of any of the league scouts he's spoken to.

You mean the scouts that share his same preconceived notions (the only ones he probably bothered to ask) still aren't impressed with Newton yet? Color me shocked!

Posted

Also if you retards are going to continue saying "HURR MAYOCK SAID JAMARCUS RUSSELL HAD THE BEST WORKOUT HE EVER SAW DURR." you should also understand that's because Russell had ALL the tools to be an elite NFL QB. He just didn't believe that he needed to put any effort into it.

Did Russell hire a QB coach to help him work out the kinks in his game? Did Clausen? How many incoming rookie QBs do? My guess is not a lot.

So either you don't know what the hell you're talking about, or you believe all college QBs are fat and lazy and stupid.

Posted

cam_panthers.jpg

Posted

To follow up on my earlier post I would not have given Clausen a first round grade. Well, maybe a late first round.

I did think that he was a great value where the Panthers got him however.

I also have it pretty close with Mallett and Gabbert and once I see more of Gabbert they could flip flop. Right now i would have them both mid to late first round. Newton of course I have top ten. I don't think Cam will make it out of the top 5 when it is all said and done. If we don't get him look out for Buffalo at number 3. They need to sell tickets and become relevant again, and some of the local press are eating Cam up (in a good way).

Right now Locker for me is second or third round although he likely will get drafted higher than that. Again it means squat but wanted to put it out there.

There's no way...even as much as you hate him now...can you say that you would have graded Mallett and Gabbert ahead of Clausen. Clausen looked dynamic and stopless albeit his WRs and TE bailing him outmost of the time. Which there lies the problems. Everyone was enamored with his footwork and poise they neglected the jump balls and throws his receivers adjusted to.

I admit I fell for it and thought we had the steal of the century. But, if you go back and watch the film that isn't the case. Mallett blows it when everything is on the line. He crumbles when it comes to crunch time and carrying the team on his back. That's not a franchise QB.

Gabbert on the other hand has all the tools. He lacks the most important part of the game though. Footwork, stand pat in the pocket while the play unfolds, read defenses, and go through your progressions. That all can be taught. A fellow by the name as Matt Ryan had some of the same problems. It worked out.

1 person likes this

Posted

guys look for every excuse to say no to cam.

If you are impressed by that skillset in a controlled environment, you'll LOVE Johnny McEntee!