Photo
- - - - -

Analysts Interpretations On Cam's Workout

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#131 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

This guy is definitely a better prospect than The Golden Calf of Bristol. His throwing motion looks better, better feet, and unbelievably a bigger guy. This guy is massive, a Josh Freeman type player. He seems like he has got a good head on his shoulders (unlike Mallett). If he can prove that he is willing to put the time in to be great, ie gym rat and break down tape effectively. I have no problem taking him number one overall. I'd much rather look to the late rounds or free agency for a DT or corner. If we believe Cam could be a franchise guy for us.

In many ways we are very lucky Cam is blossoming because even if we don't think he is the right guy for us, somebody may be willing to give up a lot to take him at number 1.

#132 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

This guy is definitely a better prospect than The Golden Calf of Bristol. His throwing motion looks better, better feet, and unbelievably a bigger guy. This guy is massive, a Josh Freeman type player. He seems like he has got a good head on his shoulders (unlike Mallett). If he can prove that he is willing to put the time in to be great, ie gym rat and break down tape effectively. I have no problem taking him number one overall. I'd much rather look to the late rounds or free agency for a DT or corner. If we believe Cam could be a franchise guy for us.

In many ways we are very lucky Cam is blossoming because even if we don't think he is the right guy for us, somebody may be willing to give up a lot to take him at number 1.

My biggest concern with this guy is that he excelled in a very simple offense that was based on one read and then run. That won't get it done in the NFL. I am not saying that he can't learn and develop those things. However, having not seen any ability to do so in college.....and hoping that he can transition....makes me very nervous in using a #1 pick on him.

Plain and simple, the majority of his success came with running the ball.

If the coaching staff thinks he can be a franchise guy....and they bring in a vet QB for next season (allowing Newton to sit and learn)...and address the DT in FA....I say what the hell. Go for it.

#133 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

the only thing i would take from it is that he is working hard and is learning some things from some people who can really help make him better. it gives me an idea of what kind of things he's working on and improvements he's making on mechanics, footwork, etc. it also lets me know what he thinks is important and that he is coachable.

to me, thats the most important things to be seen at this moment.

biggest story is in the tape, but it isn't the only story. his dedication to improving and seeing that he can get more fundamentally sound is a huge draw. those that doubt he can make it in the big leagues should be impressed that he is making strides and have to be optimistic that when he does get drafted, that with the right coaching he can reach his potential.

its all about what's between the ears and the influence he allows coaches to have on him.

Don't get me wrong here, because I do like Newton but all this pro day proved was he was able to learn what it takes to get the media to oh and ah and hopefully a big pay day. It does not translate to him being able to learn anything on a NFL QB level.

Honestly, the bigger news item would have been if a Heisman and national championship winning QB couldn't do what he did. I expect this in gym shorts and agaisnt no defense. So basicly for me it's nothing lost, nothing gained.

#134 Makish

Makish

Your In the Danger Zone

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

My biggest concern with this guy is that he excelled in a very simple offense that was based on one read and then run. That won't get it done in the NFL. I am not saying that he can't learn and develop those things. However, having not seen any ability to do so in college.....and hoping that he can transition....makes me very nervous in using a #1 pick on him.

Plain and simple, the majority of his success came with running the ball.

If the coaching staff thinks he can be a franchise guy....and they bring in a vet QB for next season (allowing Newton to sit and learn)...and address the DT in FA....I say what the hell. Go for it.

Cam being a 1 year starter hurts and his accuracy isnt as good as i would like but like Bucky said he's a faster Ben Roethlisberger and passing on a Ben Roethlisberger type QB again could set are team back another 5 years. I just dont know , I would hate to be our coach either take a 1 year wonder DT or a 1Year wonder QB, tuff decision

#135 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

Don't get me wrong here, because I do like Newton but all this pro day proved was he was able to learn what it takes to get the media to oh and ah and hopefully a big pay day. It does not translate to him being able to learn anything on a NFL QB level.

Honestly, the bigger news item would have been if a Heisman and national championship winning QB couldn't do what he did. I expect this in gym shorts and agaisnt no defense. So basicly for me it's nothing lost, nothing gained.

this wasn't a pro day, though. it was there so that media could see what he's doing to get ready for the combine and the NFL.

it's meant to show that he is working and that he is learning. that there is some growth happening.

#136 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

From Matt Bowen of National Football Post: Don't buy the Cam Newton hype just yet

Bowen says the scouts he talked to about it aren't paying attention to the hype stemming from this workout.

#137 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

From Matt Bowen of National Football Post: Don't buy the Cam Newton hype just yet

Bowen says the scouts he talked to about it aren't paying attention to the hype stemming from this workout.

Matt wants to see it for himself and has that right for sure. I hope Newton oblidges him at the combine and at his pro day. I figure this event was the first salvo in a process that will unfold over the next couple of months. A trial run in a relatively safe setting that he passed with flying colors.
It's just the beginning I would hope. We should find out if he is the real McCoy or a flashy imitation.