Photo
- - - - -

Jake Delhomme to be released...again.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
160 replies to this topic

#151 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

Bring him back! Don't play him... don't EVER play him... but Jimmy and whoever else we're bringing in need a vet like Jake in their ear. He should retire as a Panther...

#152 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,817 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Of course it does, but there are far worse things than for a young QB to have someone to show them the ropes, so to speak.

We already have someone that's going to do that

What exactly is the big problem with bringing Jake back as a backup?

at the very least he'll be sucking up a roster spot with nothing to contribute. I know how people are used to that during the last regime because we kept like 3 kickers on the roster for the last few years, but that's gonna change shortly

I can understand if you're worried about him seeing the field, but he wouldn't. I'm talking about a 3rd string type role.

you don't put anybody on your roster that you don't plan on playing

We're going to need someone for that role;

We don't need someone for that role because we already have a QB coach, Mike Shula, and judging from the way Rivera spoke about getting "coaches who are teachers" when he was hired assumes that this is a guy that can teach Clausen all that can be taught. The rest of it Clausen's going to have to figure out and mature if he's going to make it.

might as well get a guy most of the team loves.

Badly run franchises only give things away like roster spots and starting jobs based on that. It was the same logic that made us start Rucker and Minter until they lost 3 steps instead of upgrading those positions. "yea look at all he did for us. we feel like he's entitled to drag the team down. we owe him that"

#153 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,161 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

putting a QB on the roster who will only be there to hold a clipboard and act as a "mentor" is far more stupid than taking up three roster spots for kickers.

you want someone with a lot of experience to mentor the young QB? hire them as a consultant...but don't give him a jersey with no expectation to play.

also, don't bring in a QB that you would rather not have to play for you, or who doesn't stand a chance of being here long term. it's another wasted spot and just a spinning of the wheels for the team. that spot should be reserved for someone who actually might have a future.

#154 brandon_87

brandon_87

ooh wee mayne he dat deal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Bring him back to Carolina! Not to play... just to fire up the team during the game.

Maybe he could be one of the guys that runs across the field with the Panthers flags!

funniest poo I've seen on this board in months:hurray:

#155 PantherDude

PantherDude

Best of luck, Coach Fox!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:23 PM

in three less games. The average isn't that much, about three more passes per game. But Beuerlein played in a completely different offense with a WCO than Jake did. Jake never played a year where they passed more than they ran. Every year Beuerlein played for Carolina they passed more than they ran.

Word. Beuerlein threw a lot, because we hardly has good RBs playing well when he was the QB here & it why his numbers is high from passing a lot than plenty of rushing with passing. That doesn't mean he is better than Jake though. Jake was with a team that has a right balance of good RBs & WRs more than Beuerlein. Thus, Jake is better than Beuerlein. If Jake was on Beuerlein's team in '99, his numbers would likely be higher than him.

I knew every player that played in black and blue from 2000-2007. Jake Delhomme was the coolest guy I met. He was always needling me, but he was as real as it gets. Every time I asked him to do something, he didn't just want to do it, he wanted to do it right. After dealing with Jake for five years, I look at a guy like Jay Cutler and just shake my head.

That's awesome. Where you met him? Training camp??

you want someone with a lot of experience to mentor the young QB? hire them as a consultant...but don't give him a jersey with no expectation to play.

I can agree with that. :thumbsup:

#156 Big Ed

Big Ed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

GEE !!

Some fans have a really hard time letting go !

What Jake did here in the past ,is in the past .
Bringing a washed up QB back in as a mentor and backup is just stupid!

Those same fans will be the first saying put Jake in ,B/C in their world he's still the Jake of seasons ago.

Shula is the QB coach

Should we not let him at least try to mentor the QB's first ?

#157 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Who do you pick: Steve in his prime, playing for us in 2005, or Jake in his prime, playing for us in 1999?

I don't think the seasons overall would be much different. Panthers would still miss the playoffs in 1999. The Panthers still couldn't win the 2005 NFCCG with no RB.

Steve wasn't the leader that Jake was. However, I'm not sure Jake could lead Rae Carruth or Rocket Ismail either.
Did Steve have the mental toughness for all those come from behind wins in 2003? No way.

#158 Lords0fPain

Lords0fPain

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

Was this a surprise? Or an "I told you so"? Cause "I told you so" are sooo sweet. Having a feeling passing on AJ will be one of those "I told you so" down the road, too...lol.

#159 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

in three less games. The average isn't that much, about three more passes per game. But Beuerlein played in a completely different offense with a WCO than Jake did. Jake never played a year where they passed more than they ran. Every year Beuerlein played for Carolina they passed more than they ran.

In 04, we had 422 runs and 536 passes.

In 06, we had 423 runs and 539 passes.

In 07, 451 rushes, 505 passes (but Jake missed most of that season).

Of course, we lost more than we won in all of those years, which means we were playing from behind much of the time.

#160 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Steve Beurelein was a better QB imo. He played on much less talented teams and was more level headed than Jake. That said I love me some Jake in his prime, he was the comeback king.

Jake was the perfect QB in 2003 but by 2005-07 I think we could see the flaws in his game, we just wanted to deny it. By 2008 he was on his last leg, we just couldn't tell if he was getting his game back or if he was losing it.

All that said bringing Jake back would be a dumb idea. We are starting over in a new coach and system. Jake still has some of his old favorites on the team. Let's not make it awkward for our young QB's.

Edited by OneBadassCat, 13 February 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#161 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

Are you serious? 2005 was one of Jake's bad years?

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com