Photo
- - - - -

The Media has Officially Picked a Side

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#61 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image

#62 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

I say the owners have ALL the leverage. Without them, there are no teams nor a league for the players to play in.

See what I did there.

i do see what you did, and you're wrong. there are other leagues, and without the NFL owners a new one will sprout up. there is a thing called competition, and the players can quite easily take their services elsewhere.

the owners are actually quite meaningless. the players, on the other hand, are what YOU tune in every week to watch.

if the owners want a product of a high caliber, they will shut the fug up and do what they're told. otherwise, they can put an XFL quality product on the field and see how far that gets them.

#63 Montsta

Montsta

Rest In Peace

SUPPORTER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:10 AM

i do see what you did, and you're wrong. there are other leagues, and without the NFL owners a new one will sprout up. there is a thing called competition, and the players can quite easily take their services elsewhere.

the owners are actually quite meaningless. the players, on the other hand, are what YOU tune in every week to watch.

if the owners want a product of a high caliber, they will shut the f**k up and do what they're told. otherwise, they can put an XFL quality product on the field and see how far that gets them.

The UFL is being crushed under the weight of a mountain of debt. Just "sprouting up" another league is easier said than done. In all reality, it's the NFL shield that people want to see, and the shield is the owners. I have no plans to go see a UFL game anytime in the future, yet I love to watch NFL, college, and even local high school football. And I'm nothing special and am not the only American who feels this way I'm sure. Even if there was a lockout and half the NFL players said screw you and went to play for the UFL, it couldn't handle the influx of players or the salaries that would be demanded.

I swear I heard on one of my local sports talk stations that the average payroll for a UFL team is a combined 9 million or something like that. Now take an NFL player, not a superstar ala Peppers or a Manning, but a solid starter making $4MM per and tell him to play for $150,000/year in the UFL. What's being asked of the players is not unreasonable considering they are in no position to really demand much of anything.

People sometimes forget just how much money goes into operating expenses for a business. And I feel that the guy putting up the money should always be paid substantially more than the one that is just being cut a check 16 times a year.

When James Cameron pulls together a group of producers to make crazy expensive movies like Avatar and Titanic, and they are risking their money on what could be a flop, it is because they should absolutely reap the monetary rewards if it is a huge success. The actors, who yes make the movie much like NFL players make the game, get their check regardless of what happens. The producers of a movie should make exponentially more than the actors, just as NFL owners should be making way more than the players.

Edited by Montsta, 18 February 2011 - 06:13 AM.

#64 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

The UFL is being crushed under the weight of a mountain of debt. Just "sprouting up" another league is easier said than done. In all reality, it's the NFL shield that people want to see, and the shield is the owners. I have no plans to go see a UFL game anytime in the future, yet I love to watch NFL, college, and even local high school football. And I'm nothing special and am not the only American who feels this way I'm sure. Even if there was a lockout and half the NFL players said screw you and went to play for the UFL, it couldn't handle the influx of players or the salaries that would be demanded.

swap NFL and UFL rosters and within 10 years the NFL is gone.

When James Cameron pulls together a group of producers to make crazy expensive movies like Avatar and Titanic, and they are risking their money on what could be a flop, it is because they should absolutely reap the monetary rewards if it is a huge success. The actors, who yes make the movie much like NFL players make the game, get their check regardless of what happens. The producers of a movie should make exponentially more than the actors, just as NFL owners should be making way more than the players.

interesting that you bring up movies, because the going rate on a major film is 10-20% of gross per actor, plus the 10-30 million salary. producers get around 40% of the net profit. in other words, they do not make exponentially more. for example, Johnny Depp got 25% of the total revenue of his Pirates movies. that's not even counting the other actors.

apply the pay scale for that industry to the NFL and Manning is making 58,250,000 per year.

#65 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

if the owners want a product of a high caliber, they will shut the fug up and do what they're told. otherwise, they can put an XFL quality product on the field and see how far that gets them.

Without this group of spoiled players, other players will sprout up. It is called competition.

We can do this all day long.

If you think that owners should just shut up and cave into the demands of every employee and union, it is apparent that you don't have a fuging clue about big business.

If owners did what you said in all industries, they would ALL go bankrupt.

You really are this fuging dumb....all this time I thought it was just an act.

#66 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:37 AM

Please name me an industry in America that, despite profitability, says "we're going to close shop and send everyone home unless everyone takes a major pay cut and starts working two Saturdays a month". One single one.