Photo
- - - - -

Star Wars NJO Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

I (finally) just finished this entire 19 book series. Been working on it since early November. Anybody else read this whole series? I read a lot of the early books in the early and mid-nineties then got out of it. I got back into reading them this past year with the 'Legacy of the Force' series which was pretty good, but not great. I know, I read them out of order, but it didn't really matter much.

I thoroughly enjoyed the NJO series. There were a few books that were so-so, but overall it was really good.

Now I'm on to the 'Dark Nest' series and there look to be some good ones coming out this year...

#2 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

Bringin dat Gamecock swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

A lot of people bash NJO, but they are really good books. the Yuuzhan Vong were a pleasant change from the same old Imperials against Rebels/New Republic.

There was a lot of good character development with the younger characters, like Jaina and Jacen.

#3 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

Yeah, I really liked these books. I didn't care for the fact that they killed off Anakin, but whatever. There were probably seven of the 19 books that once I started, I couldn't put them down. Most of the others were good and there were only like 2 that I didn't care for as much.

#4 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

Reading Millenium Falcon now.

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

Reading Millenium Falcon now.

Is it out in paperback yet?

#6 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Don't think so.

#7 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:44 AM

I thought NJO was better than Legacy of the Force. I love the Xwing series. Anything by Stackpole and Alston are great, NJO or whatever.

#8 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:50 AM

I thought NJO was better than Legacy of the Force. I love the Xwing series. Anything by Stackpole and Alston are great, NJO or whatever.

I agree. Stackpole and Alston are good writers as is Luceno, he's probably my favorite.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,608 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Loved NJO, Falcon was a big disappointment (not bad per se, just not that interesting). The insect war books were awful, the Legacy of the Force ones were terrific.

Reading "Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor" now and it's not bad at all so far.

#10 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:35 PM

I can't find any SW books here in Spain, I'm going to need to catch up when I get back.

Did anyone read "Death Star" or the Darth Bane books?

#11 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:51 PM

I can't find any SW books here in Spain, I'm going to need to catch up when I get back.

Did anyone read "Death Star" or the Darth Bane books?

I have not yet read "Death Star" but I have read both of the Darth Bane books, which I thought were quite good. There is supposed to be a third coming out this year, but by a different author I believe.

One of the best ones I've read overall is "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" by James Luceno. It was excellent.

I love the Wookiepedia site as they have info on the novels and all of the characters, worlds, etc.

http://starwars.wiki...i/List_of_books

#12 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

I keep Wookieepedia bookmarked. Its one of the best Wikis out there.

#13 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

Finally got the time to finish the "Dark Nest" series... It was OK. I think I may now go back a re-read the 'Legacy of the Force' series since I read them out of order. Looks like some interesting ones coming out in a few months in the new 'Fate of the Jedi' series. Certainly no shortage of Star Wars books out there to read.

#14 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

Finally got the time to finish the "Dark Nest" series... It was OK. I think I may now go back a re-read the 'Legacy of the Force' series since I read them out of order. Looks like some interesting ones coming out in a few months in the new 'Fate of the Jedi' series. Certainly no shortage of Star Wars books out there to read.

The "Fate of the Jedi" series looks stupid and repetitive. "Oh noes! The Jedi are outcasts and pariahs! Will they be exterminated?!?! SAVE US LUKE!!!!"

I must say I've been spoiled by reading Warhammer 40k. Its everything Star Wars could be. Its much darker and grittier.

#15 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,686 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

The "Fate of the Jedi" series looks stupid and repetitive. "Oh noes! The Jedi are outcasts and pariahs! Will they be exterminated?!?! SAVE US LUKE!!!!"

I must say I've been spoiled by reading Warhammer 40k. Its everything Star Wars could be. Its much darker and grittier.

I do wish they would introduce some new characters and get away from the "save us Luke" stories... but from what I understand Lucas won't let them kill Luke... he also made them not set Anakin Solo up as the "heir" to the story which led to his death in the NJO series...

But I do like the Star Wars story overall and I'll keep reading unless the books get boring and so far they haven't.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com