Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should he have prayed?

104 posts in this topic

Posted

*sigh*

Should have known better

Thing is you did.

Why ask a question when you are always right in your world anyways ;)

Posted

Exactly!

Posted

If I may speak for Zod, his point was...when in trouble, should you just give up and start praying to a higher power to save you, or should you keep your eye on the ball and let your own wits save you.

It had nothing to do with the people in the back of the plane.

It is possible that one might pray that the skills and knowledge they have will be employed appropriately and successfully. Praying would not signify "giving up" and praying to be saved.

Reminds me of the story of the guy on the roof in the flood, turning down all boats, helicopters and assistance that came his way ... saying he was "waiting for God to save him." When he dies, he asks God why he didn't save him ... God replies, "I sent a canoe, a row boat, a power boat and a helicopter ... what else do you want?"

Posted

Oh, dear God. I referenced that same joke in the other thread. Someone kill me now!

Posted

I actually hope a lot of religious folks would say "yes, I would have prayed." I can respect that type of conviction in a belief. I have family that would answer that way.

If you are religious and would not have prayed, why not? What does that say about your convictions? Go ahead and pray unless the sh*t is really hitting the fan? Isn't that when praying would be MOST important?

Posted

Want my honest opinion? Things that happen do not have a meaning and are not a higher power trying to get you to do a certain action (this is not saying there's not a higher power. There very obviously is.)

Things only have meaning when we assign meaning to them. Things do not happen for a reason; things happen because they happen.

Still, we would do well to go back and create a reason for them. We should let our brains tell the story in reverse. Otherwise, life can be a miserable, terrible scramble of random events.

Posted

I actually hope a lot of religious folks would say "yes, I would have prayed." I can respect that type of conviction in a belief. I have family that would answer that way.

Would I stop trying to save peoples lives to close my eyes and pray ? Or even whisper quietly ? I doubt it. Probably wouldn't have the chance.

If you are religious and would not have prayed, why not?

I wouldn't need too. I would have faith in myself, and that which I believe in.

What does that say about your convictions?

That I trust.

Go ahead and pray unless the sh*t is really hitting the fan?

Nice spin. Good old line from around WW2 "There are no athiest in a FoxHole"

Isn't that when praying would be MOST important?

Guess that would depend on the person, and how they felt about it.

Posted

Then I do not consider you a religious person, you sir, are on the sidelines.

Posted

Then I do not consider you a religious person, you sir, are on the sidelines.

You not considering me religious is insignificant.

Luckily it's not your decision to make.

Posted

If you are religious and would not have prayed, why not? What does that say about your convictions? Go ahead and pray unless the sh*t is really hitting the fan? Isn't that when praying would be MOST important?

I think as a Chrsitian, you rely on all of the time spent strengthening your faith, praying, and confirming your belief on a daily basis throughout your lifetime. When a situtation occurs like the emergency landing, praying at that specific time might not make sense because you have hundreds of lives at stake and the skills that God gave you to be a great pilot need to be used. Because you do not pray at that specific time does not damn you in the eyes of God. When the situation is over and you have time to reflect, then you can give thanks to God for giving you the strength, wisdom, and confidence to act appropriately during a difficult situtation. So not praying when the sh*t really hits the fan does not erase your belief and convictions, it simply shows that you are smart enough to use the tools God has given you to make the appropriate decisions and take the correct actions during a time of crisis.

Posted

Thats definitely true. Its like that Panther fandom as well.

Posted

I think as a Chrsitian, you rely on all of the time spent strengthening your faith, praying, and confirming your belief on a daily basis throughout your lifetime. When a situtation occurs like the emergency landing, praying at that specific time might not make sense because you have hundreds of lives at stake and the skills that God gave you to be a great pilot need to be used. Because you do not pray at that specific time does not damn you in the eyes of God. When the situation is over and you have time to reflect, then you can give thanks to God for giving you the strength, wisdom, and confidence to act appropriately during a difficult situtation. So not praying when the sh*t really hits the fan does not erase your belief and convictions, it simply shows that you are smart enough to use the tools God has given you to make the appropriate decisions and take the correct actions during a time of crisis.

Thats a lot of dancing around the subject, tactfully done. I would imagine this is quite an uncomfortable question for you.

If you can't pray for a miracle in the cockpit of a crashing plane, why would you pray at any other time.

Its that simple.