Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should he have prayed?

104 posts in this topic

Posted

Good question. Dunno. People feel the need to do it though. But if I hear Obama say "God told me to invade France" I will be worried. Well, maybe not France.

Prayer, in my opinion, is just a security blanket that people can't let go of. Its not a nice to feel helpless, so praying makes it seem like you are at least doing something. There have been huge studies on the power of prayer, and the answer is it does just about as well as hoping for something. 50/50. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Posted

It's like the question Kay Yow posed to her pastor, which he repeated at her funeral...

"If God knows everything, why do we pray?"

Posted

Check your aviation history and is not a big of a deal as people are making it. There have been several cases where planes ditched into water and the plane stayed intact and everyone survived.

Posted

Good question. Dunno. People feel the need to do it though. But if I hear Obama say "God told me to invade France" I will be worried. Well, maybe not France.

Prayer, in my opinion, is just a security blanket that people can't let go of. Its not a nice to feel helpless, so praying makes it seem like you are at least doing something. There have been huge studies on the power of prayer, and the answer is it does just about as well as hoping for something. 50/50. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Prayer is not about asking for favors. Dear God may I win the lottery. God please help me make a million in the market. Prayer is designed to help you establish a realtionship with God. Any study that would classify prayer as a sometimes you win sometimes you don't proposition shows an ignorance of prayer in general.

You are right about one thing though prayer does provide a sense of security. Just not in the grade school "Linus and his blanket" way but the security of knowing that there is a higher power in control of things..

Posted

Check your aviation history and is not a big of a deal as people are making it. There have been several cases where planes ditched into water and the plane stayed intact and everyone survived.

I hadn't heard that. As a matter of fact the co-pilot was quoted as saying that this was the first 100% successful ditch of a commercial aircraft in aviation history.

Maybe he was just a tad excited and spoke out of his ass.:D

Posted

I hadn't heard that. As a matter of fact the co-pilot was quoted as saying that this was the first 100% successful ditch of a commercial aircraft in aviation history.

Maybe he was just a tad excited and spoke out of his ass.:D

Most First officers are dumbass's. Dont get me wrong he did a good job but there has been others to do it. I will be back with links.

Posted

Most First officers are dumbass's. Dont get me wrong he did a good job but there has been others to do it. I will be back with links.

You don't need to waste time looking. I'll take your word for it.

I looked myself and found one. A smaller number of passengers but still impressive.

October 1963; Aeroflot Tu124; Leningrad, USSR: According to a report in Flight International Magazine the aircraft was on a flight from Estonia to Moscow when a landing gear problem led to a diversion to Leningrad. While holding prior to landing and about 13 miles (20.8 km) from Leningrad airport, the aircraft ran out of fuel. The crew managed to land the aircraft on the nearby Neva River, where it remained floating on the surface. The aircraft was towed to shore and all 52 occupants survived

Posted

I'm going with Squirrel on this one since he works in the airline industry...

Posted

I'm going with Squirrel on this one since he works in the airline industry...

Me too. I know not about what I speak. :D

I just remember the co-pilot making the statement from somewhere. I could have been jacked up on pain killers from my root canal at the time.

Posted

Me too. I know not about what I speak. :D

I just remember the co-pilot making the statement from somewhere. I could have been jacked up on pain killers from my root canal at the time.

I did as well.

Oh, and this is the only subject I will listen to squirrel on lol