102 replies to this topic

#31 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

I actually hope a lot of religious folks would say "yes, I would have prayed." I can respect that type of conviction in a belief. I have family that would answer that way.

Would I stop trying to save peoples lives to close my eyes and pray ? Or even whisper quietly ? I doubt it. Probably wouldn't have the chance.

If you are religious and would not have prayed, why not?

I wouldn't need too. I would have faith in myself, and that which I believe in.

What does that say about your convictions?

That I trust.

Go ahead and pray unless the sh*t is really hitting the fan?

Nice spin. Good old line from around WW2 "There are no athiest in a FoxHole"

Isn't that when praying would be MOST important?

Guess that would depend on the person, and how they felt about it.

#32 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

Then I do not consider you a religious person, you sir, are on the sidelines.

#33 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:34 AM

Then I do not consider you a religious person, you sir, are on the sidelines.

You not considering me religious is insignificant.
Luckily it's not your decision to make.

#34 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,121 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

I actually hope a lot of religious folks would say "yes, I would have prayed." I can respect that type of conviction in a belief. I have family that would answer that way.

If you are religious and would not have prayed, why not? What does that say about your convictions? Go ahead and pray unless the sh*t is really hitting the fan? Isn't that when praying would be MOST important?

I think as a Chrsitian, you rely on all of the time spent strengthening your faith, praying, and confirming your belief on a daily basis throughout your lifetime. When a situtation occurs like the emergency landing, praying at that specific time might not make sense because you have hundreds of lives at stake and the skills that God gave you to be a great pilot need to be used. Because you do not pray at that specific time does not damn you in the eyes of God. When the situation is over and you have time to reflect, then you can give thanks to God for giving you the strength, wisdom, and confidence to act appropriately during a difficult situtation. So not praying when the sh*t really hits the fan does not erase your belief and convictions, it simply shows that you are smart enough to use the tools God has given you to make the appropriate decisions and take the correct actions during a time of crisis.

#35 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Thats definitely true. Its like that Panther fandom as well.

#36 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

I think as a Chrsitian, you rely on all of the time spent strengthening your faith, praying, and confirming your belief on a daily basis throughout your lifetime. When a situtation occurs like the emergency landing, praying at that specific time might not make sense because you have hundreds of lives at stake and the skills that God gave you to be a great pilot need to be used. Because you do not pray at that specific time does not damn you in the eyes of God. When the situation is over and you have time to reflect, then you can give thanks to God for giving you the strength, wisdom, and confidence to act appropriately during a difficult situtation. So not praying when the sh*t really hits the fan does not erase your belief and convictions, it simply shows that you are smart enough to use the tools God has given you to make the appropriate decisions and take the correct actions during a time of crisis.

Thats a lot of dancing around the subject, tactfully done. I would imagine this is quite an uncomfortable question for you.

If you can't pray for a miracle in the cockpit of a crashing plane, why would you pray at any other time.

Its that simple.

#37 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

Would I stop trying to save peoples lives to close my eyes and pray ? Or even whisper quietly ? I doubt it. Probably wouldn't have the chance.

I wouldn't need too. I would have faith in myself, and that which I believe in.

That I trust.

Nice spin. Good old line from around WW2 "There are no athiest in a FoxHole"

Guess that would depend on the person, and how they felt about it.

You know, you are a lot like our founding fathers who were deists. There is a god, but he stays at an arms distance and men are on their own without his intervention.

#38 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

On 60 minutes yesterday Sully, the captain of the plane that landed in the Hudson, said he did not pray during the crisis and just stayed focused on the task at hand.

My question for the very religious is would you have prayed? Should he have prayed? If he prayed and the plane crashed, would it have been god's will? If he prayed and they all survived, would it have been heralded as a miracle from god and not the skill of an excellent pilot?

Thoughts?

While Sully said he did not pray, this is what he did say:

"I would imagine somebody in back was taking care of that for me while I was flying the airplane," he said.'

The implication is that he does, indeed, believe in the power of prayer.

#39 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:52 AM

While Sully said he did not pray, this is what he did say:

The implication is that he does, indeed, believe in the power of prayer.

Never said he didn't.

Would you have prayed in the cockpit?

#40 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

#41 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

Never said he didn't.

Would you have prayed in the cockpit?

I honestly cannot answer that question, because I cannot know how I would react in such a stressful situation, but I believe I would have acted as he did ... relied on my skills and knowledge to do what was necessary ... and perhaps "prayed" that would be enough.

I am not a traditional religious person - can't tell you the last time I went to church that wasn't for a funeral or wedding. I believe in something higher, and I respect those who have the faith they do in their God and prayer. I do believe prayer works.

#42 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

In honor of Epi, I have to ask: do they have one of a pair of hands ramming the plane into the side of a hill in Guam or two hands crashing the planes together like toy cars in Tenerife?

Edited by Delhommey, 09 February 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#43 Moonshine

Moonshine

Formerly bigcat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

I pray every day. Once in the morning before I get out of bed, once before every meal and once again before I go to sleep. On the days I'm in church I pray even more. To an athiest prayer is some magical mystical intervention tool that a person can use in times of stress. Kind of a spritual bat phone if you will.

To a Christian who understands prayer, praying is much more than a "get out of jail free" card. To me prayer is as much about giving thanks as it is asking for stuff. Prayer is a way to find what God's plan is for you in your life. You see I am not smart enough to know exactly what God has in store for me. I always try to seek His will in all that I do. I am smart enough to know that I fail every day.

I think that it is rediculous to cast the pilot in any sort of negative light based on whether or not he prayed. He may have prayed 20 years ago for God to help to be the best pilot that he could be. God may have answered that prayer. That might have been enough.

Zod.... To answer your "what if" questions about God's will and such. I believe that everything happens for a purpose that fits into God's master plan. Bad things happen to good people and vice versa. It is difficult for even the most devout Christians to understand everything that happens every day and how it fits into His plan. I admit I don't always "get it". But Christianity is after all a religion of choice and faith. You have to choose to believe in a God that you can't physically touch and see. You have to have faith that God exists. That is hard for a lot of people to do and I understand why.

Finally about the reason the plane did not crash... Was it the skill of the pilot or God's intervention???? I believe that we are given gifts and abilities by God. I think that those gifts are given to believers and non believers alike. God uses all people to achieve His purpose. You are either a willing partipant or not. You get used either way. Some of the most devout athiests in the world cause people to think about religion and therefore lead people to know God thus being used by God to achieve His purpose. The pilot had great skill but from where did those skills come from? I believe he was given his abilities by God.

I probably would have prayed in the cockpit. I promise you though it wouldn't have been my first prayer of the day.

#44 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:26 AM

I probably would have prayed in the cockpit. I promise you though it wouldn't have been my first prayer of the day.

I can certainly respect that.

#45 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,792 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

In honor of Epi, I have to ask: do they have one of a pair of hands ramming the plane into the side of a hill in Guam or two hands crashing the planes together like toy cars in Tenerife?

Where's the hope in that? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.