Photo
- - - - -

Should he have prayed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#76 Moonshine

Moonshine

Formerly bigcat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

Good question. Dunno. People feel the need to do it though. But if I hear Obama say "God told me to invade France" I will be worried. Well, maybe not France.

Prayer, in my opinion, is just a security blanket that people can't let go of. Its not a nice to feel helpless, so praying makes it seem like you are at least doing something. There have been huge studies on the power of prayer, and the answer is it does just about as well as hoping for something. 50/50. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Prayer is not about asking for favors. Dear God may I win the lottery. God please help me make a million in the market. Prayer is designed to help you establish a realtionship with God. Any study that would classify prayer as a sometimes you win sometimes you don't proposition shows an ignorance of prayer in general.

You are right about one thing though prayer does provide a sense of security. Just not in the grade school "Linus and his blanket" way but the security of knowing that there is a higher power in control of things..

#77 Moonshine

Moonshine

Formerly bigcat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:31 PM

Check your aviation history and is not a big of a deal as people are making it. There have been several cases where planes ditched into water and the plane stayed intact and everyone survived.

I hadn't heard that. As a matter of fact the co-pilot was quoted as saying that this was the first 100% successful ditch of a commercial aircraft in aviation history.

Maybe he was just a tad excited and spoke out of his ass.:D

#78 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I hadn't heard that. As a matter of fact the co-pilot was quoted as saying that this was the first 100% successful ditch of a commercial aircraft in aviation history.

Maybe he was just a tad excited and spoke out of his ass.:D

Most First officers are dumbass's. Dont get me wrong he did a good job but there has been others to do it. I will be back with links.

#79 Moonshine

Moonshine

Formerly bigcat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

Most First officers are dumbass's. Dont get me wrong he did a good job but there has been others to do it. I will be back with links.

You don't need to waste time looking. I'll take your word for it.

I looked myself and found one. A smaller number of passengers but still impressive.

October 1963; Aeroflot Tu124; Leningrad, USSR: According to a report in Flight International Magazine the aircraft was on a flight from Estonia to Moscow when a landing gear problem led to a diversion to Leningrad. While holding prior to landing and about 13 miles (20.8 km) from Leningrad airport, the aircraft ran out of fuel. The crew managed to land the aircraft on the nearby Neva River, where it remained floating on the surface. The aircraft was towed to shore and all 52 occupants survived

#80 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,382 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

I'm going with Squirrel on this one since he works in the airline industry...

#81 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

http://www.airsafe.c...vents/ditch.htm

#82 Moonshine

Moonshine

Formerly bigcat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:43 PM

I'm going with Squirrel on this one since he works in the airline industry...

Me too. I know not about what I speak. :D

I just remember the co-pilot making the statement from somewhere. I could have been jacked up on pain killers from my root canal at the time.

#83 Moonshine

Moonshine

Formerly bigcat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

http://www.airsafe.c...vents/ditch.htm

Yeah that's the site I saw.

#84 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,382 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

Me too. I know not about what I speak. :D

I just remember the co-pilot making the statement from somewhere. I could have been jacked up on pain killers from my root canal at the time.

I did as well.

Oh, and this is the only subject I will listen to squirrel on lol

#85 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

I'll be praying Friday when I fly to Florida to do my brother-in-laws wedding pictures. I will be praying when Im on the plane that my friends will be safe, that my homeless will be warm, that the people I work with will have a prosperous weekend, that my church will glorify God in all they do, that my friends family that just loss there mom in a car accident will be comforted, that I will have strength in my faith, I pray our nation will become kinder to one another, I pray for peace, I pray for my two african little girls that I support are safe and have plenty of food, I pray for all my friends that are struggling financially, I'll pray for the people I know that are hurting or sick, I will probably pray the whole time in the air, but most of it wont be me or anything to benefit me except that I stay strong in my faith and that God will continue to help as many people as possible. I pray alot, about everything. The plane ride will just give me some nice quiet time to really my conversation with God. I wish that you guys feel what I feel and experience what it is to actually have a personal relationship with God, I really do. I wouldnt trade it for anything in the world. Period. And I dont need to be all apologetic about it and give you all the facts, history, ect. God is REAL, whether you believe it or not.

#86 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,714 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

In Soviet Russia, rivers land on you!

#87 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:57 PM

I did as well.

Oh, and this is the only subject I will listen to squirrel on lol

:lol:

Here is one caught on video.

#88 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:52 PM

The question to the thread is should he have prayed? He landed the plane and said he didn't.
Now, one has to quantify a prayer. It can be called a prayer by thinking to ones self or muttering words or whatever.
Personally, I have no way of knowing how I would react right at that moment.Would have been to caught up in the moment to think but react.

Now the clever ones here have said, well why did God do this or didn't do that? If you want to get deep then for the sake of argument hang with me here.
Miracles or crazy events etc are typically in the eye of the beholder. Some have said it was skilled of veteran pilot. True.
Some say it was a miracle. True as well. Plane could have blown up or a host of other things.
But the point I want to make is events like this, good or bad will impact someone enough to either alter the course in their life thus the miracle or even instilled or created enough of a paradigm shift in someone to either put faith in God or tighten up their life or whatever.
We are limited in our scope on these things on two levels. Level one we are thinking on our terms of understanding. We really don't know all that was involved.
Secondly, we miss the bigger picture of the very event itself.
It's like going to a movie. Some people WATCH the same movie but talk to them afterwords and they did not SEE the same movie.
One person hated it, the other loved it. One says it was a waste of money while the other may be inspired to write, create, go back to school who knows.
From a distance we can say the "director" had this goal in mind. But without ever talking to the director one on one you will never know.
So perhaps the greater good could be more were inspired by the film than those that were not.
Or, what if less were inspired then those who liked it? Again, at that point and time and the specific outcome of the directors goal may or may not be what was intended.

#89 L.A. Fanatic

L.A. Fanatic

LOWER YOUR FONT!!!!!!!!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

no, he should have done exactly what he did

#90 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

Get over yourself. Daring to ask a question about a belief is not disrespect.

being an ass about it is though

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com