102 replies to this topic

#91 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:14 AM

Check your aviation history and is not a big of a deal as people are making it. There have been several cases where planes ditched into water and the plane stayed intact and everyone survived.

I'll check out those links. While there may be "several," it's not a common occurrence, I think.

Edited by Panthers_Lover, 10 February 2009 - 09:16 AM.

#92 VaginalWartPuss

VaginalWartPuss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

Funny that the atheist and agnostics pretend to really want to know what the poor little Christians would do. It’s just a cover up to try and make a point IMO, but any who.

A prayer could be as simple as saying in your head “Dear God, help me” believing that there really is a God who hears that prayer and believing that God in control no matter what. I don’t think I would need to let go of the controls, get on my knees and close my eyes to be considered a prayer. That like me saying I’m going to walk out in front of a Mac truck and pray that God doesn’t let me get hurt. IMO a Christian’s view is that God created the pilot, God created the mind with the ability to think and learn so that the body, mind, and skills used to make quick decisions ultimately came from God even if that person doesn’t believe in God.

#93 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

[ame][/ame]

#94 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,957 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

ghey

#95 VaginalWartPuss

VaginalWartPuss

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:49 AM

lol Exactly why Christians shouldn’t waist their time answering questions from people who aren’t honest about why they really asked the question.

#96 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,135 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

Any excuse in a cycle of self deception I guess.

#97 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

god i love carrie underwood. She is as close as it gets to proving there is a god.

#98 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

lol Exactly why Christians shouldn’t waist their time answering questions from people who aren’t honest about why they really asked the question.

We're all familiar with how Zod operates ....

#99 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

I'll check out those links. While there may be "several," it's not a common occurrence, I think.

Numerous planes have crashed into water. However, NBC news reported during their coverage of the crash that in the "Jet Era", there have been four documented attempts to land a crashing aircraft in the water. The recent US Air water landing was the first where nobody died and the plane did not come apart. Wish I could find a link to back it up and list the other flights, but I can't. They were specific to say "attempted" water landings where the pilot flew the plane purposely into the water, not accidental crashes into water.

#100 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

all the ones that fell apart prayed.

#101 bigdog_10_2002

bigdog_10_2002

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

On 60 minutes yesterday Sully, the captain of the plane that landed in the Hudson, said he did not pray during the crisis and just stayed focused on the task at hand.

My question for the very religious is would you have prayed? Should he have prayed? If he prayed and the plane crashed, would it have been god's will? If he prayed and they all survived, would it have been heralded as a miracle from god and not the skill of an excellent pilot?

Thoughts?

i'll give an honest opinion from a Christian perspective.

I can honestly say that I have no idea whether or not I would have closed my eyes and prayed a prayer or just thought "God Help us" in my head.

I do, however, pray every day for guidance and safety for not only myself, but for my family and those I come in conatct with.

As far as the second part of your question about whether or not it would have been heralded as a miracle from God if he had prayed? Probably, but only by the radicals. The radicals on each side seem to blow the religious vs non-believer fight way out of proportion.

I think the pilot used the skills that not only has he learned from experience but also the intangibles that he was blessed with.

#102 jabbo420

jabbo420

on the ragged edge

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

It doesn't bother me when anyone prays. Why would it? If the president feels a need to pray to god, allah, krishna, whoever it does not concern me much. Just as long as he isn't getting an answer in return and starting wars because of it.

dick cheney is not god, btw

:)

#103 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,928 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:07 AM

Without going into all the convoluted twists and turns this has taken, I'll say this much. The question as asked is based in a faulty notion of what prayer is.

Prayer, especially in adverse circumstances, does not necessarily involve eyes being closed and big words being said. Something as simple as "Lord, help!" qualifies as prayer.

In other words, it isn't necessary to drop everything and pray. You can multitask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com