• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:11 PM

There is no way we can keep all the talent we have that is hitting FA. And people on here wonder why we keep calling him cheap.

I wouldn't rule it out. We managed to sign Gross, Gamble and franchise Peppers in 2009.

#32 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

I wouldn't rule it out. We managed to sign Gross, Gamble and franchise Peppers in 2009.

Well...we extended Gamble during the season so we're sorta behind now :lol:

#33 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,546 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

THe smart thing to do is just sign Kalil now to a long term contract. If the franchise tag is gone, so is the 30% rule. I would rather sign him longterm for around 7 million a season than tag him for over 10 million and hope to get a deal done later. Then you don't need to tag Johnson but sign him to one for around 8. If they do use it on someone it will probably be Kalil. After all we don't have a credible backup at this point unlike the DE position where at least we have some guys with experience.

#34 DynastyRTR

DynastyRTR

newnfldraft.com writer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Franchise Kalil. Sign Johnson to a 4 year deal

#35 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

THe smart thing to do is just sign Kalil now to a long term contract. If the franchise tag is gone, so is the 30% rule. I would rather sign him longterm for around 7 million a season than tag him for over 10 million and hope to get a deal done later. Then you don't need to tag Johnson but sign him to one for around 8. If they do use it on someone it will probably be Kalil. After all we don't have a credible backup at this point unlike the DE position where at least we have some guys with experience.

The 30% rule is moot anyway. It was inserted in the last CBA as an added incentive to avoid uncapped years and get the deal extended.

There is no rush to sign anybody since there won't be a FA period until the new CBA is signed. Once signed, teams will likely be granted a period to put out RFA tenders (if they still exist) and apply tags (if they still exist) and deal with their own FAs before they hit the market. It's awful hard to cut deals now when they have no clue what the CBA will bring in terms of a cap, tags etc,

#36 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:50 AM

Well...we extended Gamble during the season so we're sorta behind now :lol:

True, but we have the benifit that our current trio of players, are proably not as in demand and expensive as the former were.

#37 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:05 AM

They'll both be signed long-term once the CBA is done, but I think it'll be Kalil who gets the tag. He's by far the more important player. Johnson has had one good year and even if he's just entering his prime, Kalil IS in his and is a multiple time Pro Bowler among the best in the league at his position.

#38 Cat'sGrowl

Cat'sGrowl

The Beast Lurks Once More

• HUDDLER
  • 7,113 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

Media still getting their grips that perhaps it isn't all about the money here in Carolina:

According to the source, the value of the franchise tag -- even with $10 million guaranteed for offensive linemen, a very high total for a center -- isn't a factor. The bigger concern is trying to determine which player to protect against the open market.

#39 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

Kalil and Johnson need to be Panthers until they retire, bottom line. We desperately need them to be cornerstone players for the new regime.

#40 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

True, but we have the benifit that our current trio of players, are proably not as in demand and expensive as the former were.

There also was a CBA in place. That is my worry. What happens if one doesn't get done before the season? Do they become FA automatically or do we get a chance to resign them. Will there be RFA or will that be abolished (unlikely)? And besides theres no guarantee any of these players will even want to resign its not like there coming back to a championship quality team. We just went 2-14 have one of the worst O in the league and a new coaching staff and scheme that they might not like.

Johnson will most likely get the Tag but what about Kalil and it looks like Dwill is as good as gone. Maybe it all works out and JR comes out smelling like a rose or maybe a pile of crap.

#41 setzer2030

setzer2030

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Kalil and Johnson need to be Panthers until they retire, bottom line. We desperately need them to be cornerstone players for the new regime.

I don't understand the "stay here until they retire" thing. So far according to the board, smitty, stewart, deangelo, kalil, johnson, beason, gross and kasay to retire here. This isn't madden and theres no way we can afford to keep every fan favorite until they retire.

#42 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

I don't understand the "stay here until they retire" thing. So far according to the board, smitty, stewart, deangelo, kalil, johnson, beason, gross and kasay to retire here. This isn't madden and theres no way we can afford to keep every fan favorite until they retire.

Don't pull that madden poo on me. And yes Beason, Kalil, Stewart, Smitty and Kasay should retire here. Kalil is one of the best centers in the game. Johnson is the only viable DE we have and he is crucial. Despite everyones optimism about our DE's it could still be some time until another starter is found, whether we find it Brown, Hardy, or someone else.

Smitty should absolutely retire here. He's carried this offense on his back for the better part of the decade and only now do fans turn on him, degrade his talent, and blame him for poo that is not his fault and is out of his control.

Out of all the teams in the league we've had some of the more recognizable stars per team. Gross, Otah, Smith, Deangelo, Stewart, Beason, Peppers, Gamble, Kalil, Kemo, even TD. There is a reason our team has still been competitive despite our poo QB play/offensive playing and these guys are it.

Kalil and Johnson are guys that can be good for a very very long time. You build your team around them. Beason needs to be locked up too. Obviously we can't be expected to keep everyone but we can keep the guys we need with smart management, Deangelo is only guy I see us having a hard time keeping. It's also a question if he's worth keeping at this point. TD, Anderson, Kalil, and Johnson can definitely be put under contract.

Edited by OneBadassCat, 19 February 2011 - 08:52 PM.

#43 SPANKY

SPANKY

Smitty hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Why do some fan's think we should just let the best guy's on the team walk. Badass is right, I don't think we can afford not to keep guy's like Smith, Beason, Williams, Stewart, Kalil, Johnson, and gross. They are fan favorite's due to the fact they are the best player's on our team. Like badass said about Smitty, all this guy has done for this team and yet for some reason folk's are ready to see him out the door. If he wanted a trade that would be one thing, any other reason is a joke. Look what happened after Moose left for Chicago, only to bring him back later on the cheap. Moose should've been given the contract he wanted, we drafted him and then when he showed he was talented and worth the money, he's gone. Why try to build through the draft only to let the talent walk when they want to get paid?

#44 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

Plenty of teams keep their fan favorites for their whole career. The Brett Favres and Joe Montanas are the rarity, not the norm.

#45 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Johnson has indicated he wants to stay here and DE cost more to tag than C, plus Kalil is the glue that keeps the OL together.

I wish his last name was just ""Kill"...thats what he does on every single snap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.