Photo
- - - - -

"If it were up to me to fix the QB spot, I would..."

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#121 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

Agreed on Fairley but guys like Green and Peterson and so on are a lot better at their position than Cam is at his. Unfortunately for us, we picked a terrible year to have the #1 pick because no one is really worth it.

Newton is a gamble at one of the most important and challenging positions in the NFL. It'll be hard to get rid of him because we will have a lot invested in him and might not want to give it up.

I would like to get Green but only if Clausen isn't the QB next year. This year just fuging sucks to have our pick.

Jimmy Clausen didn't throw a TD pass to a single WR last year......that alone would make bringing in a Green a gamble of a move. Green is 100% reliant on a QB to get him involved.

also, I still don't get how drafting a CB #1 isn't a huge gamble. There is a reason in the past decade none have gone in the top 5. Not sure if any have even gone in the top 10.

You pay anyone at the #1 spot and it will be hard to get rid of them of they are a bust. If you hit on Cam w/ a team like Carolina....the upside is far greater than hitting on anyone else.

#122 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

To take a QB with the first pick you pick the QB you know is the absolute best and can be the absolute best in the NFL. I don't think you can say that about Cam Newton.

To be the absolute best in the NFL you have be very bright or at least very football smart when it comes to making reads and audibles, etc. The reason the Steelers, Chargers, Packers and Patriots can beat anyone is because their QB's can react to each game differently and find ways to defeat the opponent. Are those QB's the most athletic? Definitely no.

Now compare those guys to the Mark Sanchez's, Vince Young's and Jay Cutler's of the NFL. They have good raw skills but with these QB's you will always be limited with what you can do. You take away a good aspect of the offense and these QB's will crumble. They cannot carry the team on it's back. In this sense you always be limited or have a ceiling as to high you can go.

I'm just saying for the #1 pick the QB has to be best, and he has to be able to make my team the best. That guy was probably Andrew Luck. Since he's gone, we should probably take someone we know can help us.

Cam would have to grow a ton as a QB because even though he is a running threat he will be figured out sooner rather than later. He won't be able to run like he did college, he'll get murdered that way.

Edited by OneBadassCat, 24 February 2011 - 02:09 PM.

#123 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Jimmy Clausen didn't throw a TD pass to a single WR last year......that alone would make bringing in a Green a gamble of a move. Green is 100% reliant on a QB to get him involved.

also, I still don't get how drafting a CB #1 isn't a huge gamble. There is a reason in the past decade none have gone in the top 5. Not sure if any have even gone in the top 10.

You pay anyone at the #1 spot and it will be hard to get rid of them of they are a bust. If you hit on Cam w/ a team like Carolina....the upside is far greater than hitting on anyone else.

You must have missed the part where I said that I want Green ONLY IF CLAUSEN ISN'T THE STARTER NEXT YEAR.

I know that CB and WR don't go #1 but they are the two best players in the draft and after them it's a step down. Usually there is a clear cut guy at a "traditional" #1 pick spot that gets taken but this year there isn't.

I'd rather take the best player if I had to pick there and not force myself to take someone just because they play a certain position. Newton wasn't on anyone's radar until Luck stayed in school and it's sad that now we are propping him up just because we want a QB that bad.

#124 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

You must have missed the part where I said that I want Green ONLY IF CLAUSEN ISN'T THE STARTER NEXT YEAR.

I know that CB and WR don't go #1 but they are the two best players in the draft and after them it's a step down. Usually there is a clear cut guy at a "traditional" #1 pick spot that gets taken but this year there isn't.

I'd rather take the best player if I had to pick there and not force myself to take someone just because they play a certain position. Newton wasn't on anyone's radar until Luck stayed in school and it's sad that now we are propping him up just because we want a QB that bad.

I think Cam's Heisman and National Championship season put him on the radar. I don't think he is being propped up.....kid has great physical tools, is a leader, and has great intangibles. He would still have all those things if Luck entered. With Luck entering I still think Cam would be in the mix w/ all the other top guys mentioned after Luck goes #1.

#125 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Getting Green is more of a long term move. If Clausen manages to play well then it works, if Clausen doesn't then the FO will find a good QB and Green becomes a big asset.

CB isnt a gamble simply because no one was drafted. That is due to how highly rated most conerbacks were, the need of most teams, and the talent of the other postions. It ususally just doesnt all fall in line to draft one.

Very true. Everyone is a possible bust. But some more then others. The problem is the downside of getting a QB hurts you much worse. It comes down to what your FO thinks of them after all the studying and tape. Given there track record if there high on him, go for it.

#126 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

I think Cam's Heisman and National Championship season put him on the radar. I don't think he is being propped up.....kid has great physical tools, is a leader, and has great intangibles. He would still have all those things if Luck entered. With Luck entering I still think Cam would be in the mix w/ all the other top guys mentioned after Luck goes #1.

Ugh

#127 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Ugh

So if Luck entered the draft no teams would be thinking of Cam over Fairely, Bowers, etc.? I don't buy that.......

Edited by CRA, 24 February 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#128 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

So if Luck entered the draft no teams would be thinking of Cam over Fairely, Bowers, etc.? I don't buy that.......

They might, but he wouldn't even be close to #1. The only reason he is in the discussion is because everyone else sucks.

If I had a 3D TV to sell you for 3 grand and when you got to my house all I had was a 1995 Sony big screen that weighed close to a ton and was barely hi def, but you had to buy it for the same price as the 3D TV, would you?

#129 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

They might, but he wouldn't even be close to #1. The only reason he is in the discussion is because everyone else sucks.

If I had a 3D TV to sell you for 3 grand and when you got to my house all I had was a 1995 Sony big screen that weighed close to a ton and was barely hi def, but you had to buy it for the same price as the 3D TV, would you?

ok, but Luck isn't in this draft......and you acknowledge he would be in the mix w/ everyone after Luck (Fairley, Bowers, Green, etc.). So how is Luck inflating his status?? He is right in the tier of players he would be with or without Luck. Seems like a pointless claim.....you could say that about any player going #1.

#130 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

ok, but Luck isn't in this draft......and you acknowledge he would be in the mix w/ everyone after Luck (Fairley, Bowers, Green, etc.). So how is Luck inflating his status?? He is right in the tier of players he would be with or without Luck. Seems like a pointless claim.....you could say that about any player going #1.

He's not with Green or PP