Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pstall

GM 1, Detroit schools 0. Irony 100.

Not saying it is perfect, but if you are simple in what you want it will suffice and you will not have the stress of a career in private industry.

Unions have added this public career security to private companies AND they are giving at least private sector pay which is is impossible to retain. The auto union system was doomed when the first inexpensive asian/foreign car came off the boat 40 years ago. That is all.

Seeing as Honda, Toyota and Nissan all had/have very strong unions in Japan, I can't say I agree.

Seeing as Honda, Toyota and Nissan all had/have very strong unions in Japan, I can't say I agree.

Comparing apples to apples, they have American plants in the south that are not union and can compete

And Ford is doing just fine with its unions. Unions are a convenient excuse for auto makers that forgot how to make a good product.

I agree if the product was better most people would pay more for it. If it is going to to be equal or worse they'd be dumb to pay as much or more. There are always going to be the "buy merican" people who will pay for an inferior product. We agree. Make a good product, stay in business with or without unions. Make a car that is built to break every ten years you will be done.

Pstall so state worker that took lower salary for stability should just say "oh well I'm just fuged" when the government kicks the stability stand from under their feet ?

They made mistakes by depending too much on property taxes. They should learn to live with the results.

You know, like Goldman Sachs did.

Pstall so state worker that took lower salary for stability should just say "oh well I'm just fuged" when the government kicks the stability stand from under their feet ?

Not at all. As I mentioned earlier, it's not like the state worker only had their wages to live off of.

They can invest in the market via the 403b. In your case, you got 6% coming off the top that you had NO choice on right?

And the state worker is also able to get a salary in part due to the private sector worker paying taxes. State worker is as well but the private guy has to fund his or her own 401k.

BTW- NO job is a mortal lock anymore. We can say stability all day long but if nobody saw the tsunami coming at the state level was not paying attention.

It's tough and nasty but there are lot's of bullets to bite right now.

They made mistakes by depending too much on property taxes. They should learn to live with the results.

You know, like Goldman Sachs did.

Easier to allow a company to go belly up via the market than say..well heck. Wisconsin or NC.

Sorry. We all choose the jobs we work at. It's one inside those walls we can see reality and decide to stay or go elsewhere.