Photo
- - - - -

GM 1, Detroit schools 0. Irony 100.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#37 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Not at all. As I mentioned earlier, it's not like the state worker only had their wages to live off of.
They can invest in the market via the 403b. In your case, you got 6% coming off the top that you had NO choice on right?

And the state worker is also able to get a salary in part due to the private sector worker paying taxes. State worker is as well but the private guy has to fund his or her own 401k.

BTW- NO job is a mortal lock anymore. We can say stability all day long but if nobody saw the tsunami coming at the state level was not paying attention.

It's tough and nasty but there are lot's of bullets to bite right now.

I don't understand "Only have their wages to live off of" Who told you I was dealing crack on the side?

When I have to bite the bullet b/c the fugtards above me can't balance a fuging checkbook I expect the same bonuses the "private" sector gets when we have a green margin instead of red.

#38 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Easier to allow a company to go belly up via the market than say..well heck. Wisconsin or NC.

Sorry. We all choose the jobs we work at. It's one inside those walls we can see reality and decide to stay or go elsewhere.

i might be satisfied with that if I thought this were actually about saving money.

#39 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

I don't understand "Only have their wages to live off of" Who told you I was dealing crack on the side?

When I have to bite the bullet b/c the fugtards above me can't balance a fuging checkbook I expect the same bonuses the "private" sector gets when we have a green margin instead of red.

You are coming at this from the NC state worker angle and I was thinking you read my earlier comments about concessions and such for union state workers.
Got my comments merged.
States are non profit. Private is not, unless it's specifically labeled a non profit.
Where I work, if I don't jump thru the right hoops and if our overall comp doesn't hit it's #'s I don't get jack.

You can vote those unbalancing jackasses out. I can't at the private side. I can vote via proxy while owning stock. But I can't vote out upper mgt.

But states and many companies have the same insane budget mindset. They ask for X dollars one year and even if some are left over near the end, they start to spend it out of fear of losing those funds for next years budget.
How bout giving a bonus based on the actual SAVINGS??

#40 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

i might be satisfied with that if I thought this were actually about saving money.

If what was about saving money?

#41 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

But states and many companies have the same insane budget mindset. They ask for X dollars one year and even if some are left over near the end, they start to spend it out of fear of losing those funds for next years budget.
How bout giving a bonus based on the actual SAVINGS??

Preach.

How about just 3 years ago we had some 350-400 million tax surplus in NC ?

They said we can -Give Teacher/State Workers one time bonus--Build a bridge--build a bypass.

The skyway bridge is now going to cost more thanthat and we don't even have a big port yet.

fug I would have been happy to just get an extra 50$ tax refund from it :D

#42 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:09 PM

Easier to allow a company to go belly up via the market than say..well heck. Wisconsin or NC.

Sorry. We all choose the jobs we work at. It's one inside those walls we can see reality and decide to stay or go elsewhere.

Yeah we get to keep our profits and you suckers subsidize our losses but that's how the game gets played.

Now state unions asking for anything near the same thing. CRIMINAL!

#43 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Yeah we get to keep our profits and you suckers subsidize our losses but that's how the game gets played.

Now state unions asking for anything near the same thing. CRIMINAL!

Let me get this straight. State worker chooses on their own accord to work for the state. They read up on their benefits and retirement plan. They see they get comp time and can come to work with the Ebola virus hanging on their neck and any unused vacation time and get cash for that. But that's no good.
They get most of the same Federal Holidays as those greedy bastard bankers but that's no good.
Then many of them drive in state owned vehicles and they don't have to pay a dime out of pocket. But that's no good.
Can retire at a very young age, move across a state line and double dip and start working at that state WHILE getting the pension from the prior state but that too is no good.

So what is the state workers asking for? Also we our layering are debate here.
Wisconsin is much dif than NC in terms of what is on the table.

We can argue each state specifically if you want. Also for kicks. When was the last time the State of NC upated their funding allocation method for highways?

#44 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

Preach.

How about just 3 years ago we had some 350-400 million tax surplus in NC ?

They said we can -Give Teacher/State Workers one time bonus--Build a bridge--build a bypass.

The skyway bridge is now going to cost more thanthat and we don't even have a big port yet.

fug I would have been happy to just get an extra 50$ tax refund from it :D

One of the big problems over the years has been all of our collective repulsion to saving which in turn comes from our insanely long record of near continuous overall growth after the second WW.

Up till recently it's been seen as a near sin for our government not to immediately put any excess capital back into circulation (which makes sense if you have only occasionally interrupted growth).

#45 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

HUDDLER

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

One of the big problems over the years has been all of our collective repulsion to saving which in turn comes from our insanely long record of near continuous overall growth after the second WW.

Up till recently it's been seen as a near sin for our government not to immediately put any excess capital back into circulation (which makes sense if you have only occasionally interrupted growth).

Now I totally agree with this.
Speaking of circulation. I think down in Rock Hill, some people were wanting to pay property taxes monthly instead of annually. Some dim bulb on the board told the people to put it in savings and then pay. The people more or less were saying hey we aren't that disciplined but would rather pay monthly.

That guy was voted out but there was an easy fix to low revenue issues.

#46 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

Let me get this straight. State worker chooses on their own accord to work for the state. They read up on their benefits and retirement plan. They see they get comp time and can come to work with the Ebola virus hanging on their neck and any unused vacation time and get cash for that. But that's no good.
They get most of the same Federal Holidays as those greedy bastard bankers but that's no good.
Then many of them drive in state owned vehicles and they don't have to pay a dime out of pocket. But that's no good.
Can retire at a very young age, move across a state line and double dip and start working at that state WHILE getting the pension from the prior state but that too is no good.

We can argue each state specifically if you want. Also for kicks. When was the last time the State of NC upated their funding allocation method for highways?

Or they can get a regular job and make a lot more money without having to deal with the state trying to cut his job every year.

Yes working for the state has benefits. It also has bad points. The world is not really knocking down the door for state jobs; usually they are boring and conducted in dull office buildings with budgets swinging wildly from year to year for whatever you are working on. Sure putting down asphalt for 30 years sounds glamourous...

#47 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

I'm not at all arguing one better than the other. I'm saying one can ask for tax dollars to cover losses while the other cannot. If only a handful of sectors of the economy get preferential treatment, everyone will eventually flock to those favored sectors, which makes for an unbalanced and fragile economy.

Edited by Delhommey, 22 February 2011 - 11:42 PM.