Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nagai

Mayock on Gabbert

153 posts in this topic

This is a review of Newton on NFL.com

The bolded section is the most alarming to me. I've read a lot of analisys about Newton not going through progressions but if the tape is showing that he won't throw to a reciever unless they are in a window, that means Newton is more likely to resemble Clausen than Big Ben.

That really is a big negative and one that is hard to teach. I've actually said it many times that I thought Newton reminded me more of Steve Young than any other QB and just thinking back, Newton in Carolina could be as bad as Young was in Tampa. Newton may need to go to a West Coast Offense to be successful.

With that said look at the same review of Gabbert.

Again, based on the type of offense we think Chud is going to run, Gabbert has a really bad compatiblity as well. His worst and most inaccurate throws are the long ball. Probably also more of an WCO type of QB or may be able to play in an EP system since he is given credit for being able to make great reads.

Find that QB that compares favorably with Phillip Rivers or Troy Aikman and then you will sell me on drafting that QB at #1 overall. Until then, I think other options would be better than Newton or Gabbert at this point.

Good stuff. Basically, you are (like me) afraid of these QBs in the first round. Who do you like, if any?

So you two (Panther 55) are qualified to tell a college psychology professor that his concerns about a player with so many red flags are unjustifed and do not reflect character issues that are problematic (historically) in the NFL? AM I hearing you right? And you have enough about me in my comments to accuse me of being prejudice?

Are you kidding or just dumbasses?

What is with the chest thumping about being a professor? And aren't you jumping to just as many conclusions about Cam based on what few comments that are available ?

Good stuff. Basically, you are (like me) afraid of these QBs in the first round. Who do you like, if any?

I don't have a horse in the race right now but in my opinion Von Miller is the best player in this class. Just not a position you take at #1 overall and we don't really need a LB. Not to mention most think he would be best as an OLB in a 3-4. I also like Kyle Rudolph but again wrong position at #1.

I think a lot of players are being talked about at #1 because of their position not so much the player. QB, DT, DE, OT, these are the positions that are normally selected #1 overall, and I just don't see a player at those positions that is deserving of being selected at #1 overall.

If I had to decide right now I would probably go with Patrick Peterson. On my big board (which isn't worth poo as I'm just a fan with little inside knowledge so just keep that in mind) I have Von Miller 1 and Peterson 2. However, I do agree with Huney that the pick should be an impact player at an impact position and I don't see that in Peterson, outside of a chance of him being the Devin Hester in the return game. AJ Green is 3 followed by Rudolph.

Like I said, I really don't have a horse in this race right now and I'm all over the place. The only thing I do know is that the usual suspects are more reaches then actual quality picks.

lol I know many psychologists, they're not psychics. They only try and explain the phenomena they see. To flash this psychology lecturer card is hence a huge fallacy, because it doesn't point to what psychologists really do.

I also comes down to who you believe.

The only one that even really concerns me is the laptop thing. It comes down to whether you believe that he bought a stolen laptop or stole a laptop.

The laptop isn't a matter of belief, it's a matter of fact. The only reason he wasn't arrested and prosecuted is because the owner of the comp dropped charges because he fear retaliation from members of the football team.

I dunno it'd be fun to have a player who refers to himself in the third person. It might be a good way for him to deal with the struggles as a rookie: "Man, Cam Newton didn't look good at there but you know, Cam Newton's going to keep working on it."

The laptop isn't a matter of belief, it's a matter of fact. The only reason he wasn't arrested and prosecuted is because the owner of the comp dropped charges because he fear retaliation from members of the football team.

Exactly. FACTS are the cops showed up and he tossed it out the window of his dorm. they had his ass dead to rights. FACTS ARE he was about to be booted perminately from the U of F for cheating THREE times.

Look this kid has issues and they are very serious concerns.

Mayock is respected and is one of the best draft analysts but given that most of them are not that great, it may not be saying that much. For my money I trust a guy like Gil Brandt more. He has been there and done that.

If you look at his mock draft in 2009 he didn't have a quarterback in the top 10 and had the top pick as Eugene Monroe.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d80d41b6d/article/monroe-takes-over-the-no-1-spot-in-list-of-top-20-prospects

Here is how the draft actually went:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1

His top pick went 8th and was the third OL taken in the draft. The guy he rated as the second and third best on the OL all went before his pick. Stafford went number 1 who he had as his second best quarterback at 13. Sanchez who he had at 11 went 5th.

How about in 2010??

He had Bradford going 5th and Clausen going 20. The Golden Calf of Bristol who went 2nd at number 17 of the first round he had ranked behind both Clausen and McCoy who went in the third round.

So honestly the fact that Newton is his 3rd ranked quarterback means little regarding how things will actually play out.

So while his overall analysis is respected, his mock drafts and positional rankings particularly at quarterback rarely mirror what actually happens in the actual draft.

thats not a mock draft you have mayock posted, its a BPA chart.... and other than 2 or 3 it seems to be pretty accurate. If you look at the bust from that year... i don't see much if any on mayocks draft board. This is coming from someone that is objective and has no favor for Mayock or any other guesser.

What is with the chest thumping about being a professor? And aren't you jumping to just as many conclusions about Cam based on what few comments that are available ?

Would not have been mentioned if my credibility was not attacked. Chest thumping is not why I earned a doctorate. It was simply to show you that attacking my comments by questioning my intelligence on the subject of psychology exposed how irrational you and 55 were being. I would not question someone with such certaintly on a topic that was not in my area of expertise. So, I would not do any "chest thumping" if discussing politics with a mayor, or medicine with a physician, etc. I know my stuff and part of that is knowing what I don't know. I was sharing psychology insights and you and your buddy didn't like what I had to say, so you attacked--not using intelligence or counter facts--just questioning my expertise in the subject. I don't build self esteem or get mad on these boards, but I will defend myself. You need to know when you are intelligent and when you are not. That will help you along your journey.

Like I've said before, this isn't the only incident. The cheating, the traffic offenses- they show a pattern of poor decision making. They show signs of a guy who just doesn't get that the rules apply to him.

Having said that, he's been sqweeky clean the last couple years so he is showing some signs of maturation, but all these incidents give me pause for the face of a franchise who will have to lead by example on and off the field.

actually the cheating allegations are unsubstantiated rumors. There is no "proof" that it was that bad. not defending him because I have no doubt he cheated but we have no way of knowing he was about to be kicked out of Florida. Hell, someone on the committee that would have done that said Cam never got to their doorstep if I recall.

still. laptop is... bad.

I believe those allegations have been substantiated, I'll have to go back to the article I read and confirm that.