Photo
- - - - -

Mayock on Gabbert

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
151 replies to this topic

#101 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

i find it amazing that newton is being hyped but draft experts in some threads think he is awful. same thing.

"Awful" and "not worth taking as the nuber one pick" aren't the same thing.

And as I've said before, the situation is what dictates to me. If things were different, I might be happy with Newton, Gabbert, maybe even Locker or Gabbert or a guy like Dalton or Taylor in a later round. But as things stand, I don't want any quarterback in any round, and definitely not at number one.

#102 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

I will say this for Gabbert. When he has a chance to be comfortable, plant, and throw, he has really good rpm's and accuracy. I can see why people like him a lot.

#103 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

"Awful" and "not worth taking as the nuber one pick" aren't the same thing.

And as I've said before, the situation is what dictates to me. If things were different, I might be happy with Newton, Gabbert, maybe even Locker or Gabbert or a guy like Dalton or Taylor in a later round. But as things stand, I don't want any quarterback in any round, and definitely not at number one.

I have a serious question scot. What pick is Cam worthy of?? I keep hearing he isn't worthy of that pick and so what pick is he worthy of?

#104 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

I will say this for Gabbert. When he has a chance to be comfortable, plant, and throw, he has really good rpm's and accuracy. I can see why people like him a lot.

he does but how many times is that going to happen on the next level. not many. it's about how you handle pressure when that big 6'5 275 de is breathing down your back how are you going to respond.

when it's 3' 8 and you need a first to keep the drive moving for a game winning field goal. are you willing to man up and delivery a strike or turn clausenisque.

#105 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have a serious question scot. What pick is Cam worthy of?? I keep hearing he isn't worthy of that pick and so what pick is he worthy of?

Experts would say top ten or top five, which sounds reasonable to me. Just not to us in our situation.

We already have two young prospects on roster, one of whom was taken with our top pick last season. We don't need any more youth.

Better to sign or trade for a couple of veteran free agents (maybe Matt Moore being one) and use the number one on another need position.

#106 monstercat

monstercat

HUDDLER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

My thing is...you either take Newton or Gabbert at #1, or you most likely don't get a QB at all, and that probably goes for next year as well. I doubt we will have a realistic shot at Luck or Barkley, unless we trade away more picks to move up to the top 3 or 4 in the 2011 draft. Personally, I would much rather take a chance on a QB at #1 now, than to end up having to trade away more high draft picks next year.

Of course, we can also pin all of our hopes on JC and a career back up that nobody else wanted, but that's too depressing for me to even think much about.

#107 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

Moderators

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Will April ever get here?

#108 nagai

nagai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

He is worthy of a place where they have a veteran QB starting so Cam can do the Aaron Rodgers thing and learn.

#109 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

My thing is...you either take Newton or Gabbert at #1, or you most likely don't get a QB at all, and that probably goes for next year as well. I doubt we will have a realistic shot at Luck or Barkley, unless we trade away more picks to move up to the top 3 or 4 in the 2011 draft. Personally, I would much rather take a chance on a QB at #1 now, than to end up having to trade away more high draft picks next year.

Of course, we can also pin all of our hopes on JC and a career back up that nobody else wanted, but that's too depressing for me to even think much about.

That's it really. If you want Newton-you want to make sure that we have some competition for Clausen because while we hope he improves in a big way, we aren't convinced he can do it. And you don't want to put all your eggs into picking a FA vet in the event that falls through or all the good ones aren't available. And you are looking for a long term solution instead of stop gap vet while you put off the decision for another year.

Those who don't want Newton or see him as too risky are really more satisfied with Clausen despite his struggles and think he can be the franchise guy. Or you want a veteran for now and just hope that things line up better next year to take a QB or that Clausen proves he is the one.

And then there is TRD who seems to dislike Clausen and Newton equally. I suppose he is hoping we don't bring in any competition for his guy Matt Moore whose chances of staying would be marginally better if Newton weren't here.

Whichever you believe largely colors your point if view. Like you I absolutely hated last year and want an upgrade in a huge way. I think we need to find someone in the draft and a vet so that we guarantee there will be plenty of competition. That somebody in the draft would be Newton. No one else is worth taking really. And the thought of standing pat is depressing indeed.

#110 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Mayock is one of the most respected out there, garnering support from actual scouts and has turned down several jobs in the NFL.

He has access to one very important tool you don't, coaches tape.

same with a lot of the scouts that have said newton is the best...esp. guys like gil brandt.

brandt>>>mayock