Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matt Foley

Fact checking Fluffo

102 posts in this topic

I think that the college degree thing is more about your ability to complete a task like that and less on the specific knowledge gained. The ability to complete 4 years of college while most kids are focused on sex, drugs and rock and roll is not overrated to me. Also, most job descriptions I used to see had "or work equivalent" added to the requirement.

Tech jobs like mine definitely make better use of tech/trade education, but there are a lot of jobs that benefit from a more general education. And of course, there are a LOT of programs for tech/voc education out there, and I am sure that any "college stimulus" program would indeed include these schools.

I get your point about finishing a task..but couldn't that be shown through interview questions just as well? I worked in HR also and interviewed candidates and know that I posed questions that would reveal that.

When I said voc ed I meant HS as well...this proposition was just for parental tax credit for pursual of college degrees, unless I misunderstood it.

Actually I have a beef with HS curricula as well. I don't think they offer practical things like how to interview for a job, how to balance a check book how to write resumes, etc. Especially the way the family unit has deteriorated even since I was in HS thus rendering it less likely they have a chance to learn this at home, I would think those skills would help kids a lot more than the type of silly electives we had in school like DEATH AND DYING or QUEST..SELF ESTEEM. Yes I get the "well rounded student" thing (whether I believe those types of classes are what should be meant by that phrase is another thing)...but I see no reason not to try to make it more practical.

College is still a goal for parents to give their kids. Tech school/military is option #2. Given a preference, and all I have alluded to above, I still want to send my daughter to college.

God, you guys have way too much time on your hands.

Not that you'd know anything about it, but having thougtful posts takes time and usually takes up more than one line.

Not that you'd know anything about it, but having thougtful posts takes time and usually takes up more than one line.

thoughtful, CH...thoughtful.

Yep ... I have a job and a life ....

College is still a goal for parents to give their kids. Tech school/military is option #2. Given a preference, and all I have alluded to above, I still want to send my daughter to college.

I am not a parent, but my goal for any kids I would have is to try to help them find the best thing for them to do with their life based on their abilities which may or may not be college. If they wanted to be a doctor, great, be great in school and get a scholarship and loan and perhaps some parental help. I would bet that marginal/average students whose parents pay for college aren't as committed to doing well as students who get loans or GPA based scholarships. Working for something makes you appreciate it more, and take it more seriously IMO.

There are already programs for tax free savings for parents to use to save for their kids' college aren't there? 529s or something? I think those are a nice thing for parents, and see no need for further tax breaks for something that is optional.

I understand where you are coming from, I guess the purpose of all this is to make getting people into school as doable as possible for as many people as possible, at this time - the idea of saving money for any purposes has seemed to vanish over the last 30 years.

I am not a parent...and see no need for further tax breaks for something that is optional.

there simplified that post for you

Sorry fiz, that's an incorrect assumption about me on your part. I fully recognize that there are things that will never ever benefit me that are good for the country/economy. My premise is that this is not one of them, not that because I don't have kids I don't GAF. Isn't that proven by my stance on the 529s?