If you're a limp wrist or a girl.

#107 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

40-yard dash
The 40-yard dash is the marquee event at the combine. It's kind of like the 100-meters at the Olympics: It's all about speed, explosion and watching skilled athletes run great times. These athletes are timed at 10, 20 and 40-yard intervals. What the scouts are looking for is an explosion from a static start.

Bench press
The bench press is a test of strength -- 225 pounds, as many reps as the athlete can get. What the NFL scouts are also looking for is endurance. Anybody can do a max one time, but what the bench press tells the pro scouts is how often the athlete frequented his college weight room for the last 3-5 years.

Vertical jump
The vertical jump is all about lower-body explosion and power. The athlete stands flat-footed and they measure his reach. It is important to accurately measure the reach, because the differential between the reach and the flag the athlete touches is his vertical jump measurement.

Broad jump
The broad jump is like being in gym class back in junior high school. Basically, it is testing an athlete's lower-body explosion and lower-body strength. The athlete starts out with a stance balanced and then he explodes out as far as he can. It tests explosion and balance, because he has to land without moving.

3 cone drill
The 3 cone drill tests an athlete's ability to change directions at a high speed. Three cones in an L-shape. He starts from the starting line, goes 5 yards to the first cone and back. Then, he turns, runs around the second cone, runs a weave around the third cone, which is the high point of the L, changes directions, comes back around that second cone and finishes.

Shuttle run
The short shuttle is the first of the cone drills. It is known as the 5-10-5. What it tests is the athlete's lateral quickness and explosion in short areas. The athlete starts in the three-point stance, explodse out 5 yards to his right, touches the line, goes back 10 yards to his left, left hand touches the line, pivot, and he turns 5 more yards and finishes.

Does anyone else think they could come up with some better tests?

#108 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,007 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

Does anyone else think they could come up with some better tests?

bench press after 100 push ups (timed event)

40 yard dash suicides (40 yards down and back, twice - consecutively, no rest) only the first and last sprints are timed individually, but the entire event is timed as well

put the vertical jump as part of the 3 cone drill - get to the top, then jump

...just to make the event a little harder to train for.

#109 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

bench press is a waste of time.

It is if thats all you do, then yes. But thats true with almost any weight lifting type of exercise. If you combine it with other exercises, then its a good way to keep chest and triceps tone and in good shape.

IMO, squats are the only weight lifting exercise I would avoid. To easy to damage your knees and circulatory system.

#110 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,324 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

How many times (if any) can you put up 225?

Back when I was in the military, 8-12 easily. Probably more, but I never tried to do more than that.

Now, maybe a couple and thats about it.

#111 The Faceless

The Faceless

Seeker of Power

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:53 PM

you should be doing a military press of some sort as well as pullups and chins if you're benching alot.

#112 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,137 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

If you're a limp wrist or a girl.

or you prefer actual exercise like olympic lifting.

#113 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

I maxed out around 170-180 when I used to lift a lot

#114 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

If you can bench press your body weight and do pull ups, both with proper form, a combination of 30 times, you should be considered strong.

#115 Ccat

Ccat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

or you prefer actual exercise like olympic lifting.

That's why you do it all. Bench press is a good lift. Our team does all kinds of stuff, bench, incline, military press, push press, power cleans, snatches, clean & snatches, deadlifts, good mornings, dumbbell exercises for a lot of different muscle groups, pullups and chinups, dips, squats, etc. Any lift by itself isn't going to be enough. Working out every area of the body with the focus on the legs is good.

#116 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

Bench Press isn't helpful if you are out of shape looking to build mass. Modified push ups are the way to go.

#117 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 41,454 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

If you can bench press your body weight and do pull ups, both with proper form, a combination of 30 times, you should be considered strong.

After a workout, I can be very "strong" :sosp:

#118 "Ass" Dan

"Ass" Dan

fresh4lyfe

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:14 PM

I'm not very good at benching (I might've gone to a gym once in my life) but I can hold my urine for hours at a house party. That's a mark of endurance right there.

#119 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,007 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Does "proper form" include swinging your legs during pull ups? If so, I can go above and beyond your strong.
Just normal vertical pull ups, arms fully extended on each rep... maybe 5.

#120 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

I wonder how many of these "athletes" could beat me at Black ops

THAT should be a combine thingy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com