Photo
- - - - -

JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith killed it at their combines...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#61 Nytrogen

Nytrogen

Like a boss

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:00 PM

Is it bad that the only reason I clicked on this thread is because I read that as 'Jamarcus Russell and Alex Smith killed.'?

#62 Jangler

Jangler

oddly perched

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

the violent rhetoric really needs to stop.

#63 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

Wow!!! This pissing contest is fun and all, but Jebus can't we all just get along??? SMF, it's clear you want us to choose Cam, Mr. Scot, it's clear you are very anti-Cam. Both of you are pretty respectable posters. Both of you have no say in who we actually draft. I have one question for each of you: SMF, if we draft, say, PP or NicFlair, will you still support the player? And Mr. Scot, if we choose Cam #1, would you rally around our new QB?

I'm not anti-Newton so much as I'm anti-any quarterback in his draft, especially at #1. There's no franchise guy in this year's pool (the only one there was stayed in school) and we already have a highly picked "project" QB on roster, plus another who was picked later. It'd be silly to add another project into that mix, especially with the top pick. That pick would be better spent on other needs.

Clausen isn't going anywhere and, whether fans like it or not, he'll be given a shot to show that he can be "the guy". Given that situation, what we need to acquire is a reliable veteran fallback. That way, if Clausen proves he isn't worth it, we have someone to handle the duties this season and we can go looking for the "franchise" guy again next season (when the odds are expected to be better that we can get one).

I've watched the team make picks that I thought were mistakes many times (Clausen being one of them) but still hoped for the best. If they pick Newton, it'll be because they believe he's better than I think he is. And if that happens, then I'll hope they're right.

My preference though: No quarterbacks in any round, especially not at #1.

#64 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

I don't care how particular past players did at the combine. Know why?

I've been saying all along that tape means more than workouts. And guess what? So have the Panthers.

Cam Newton may have hurt his draft stock a little, or it may not have mattered. What matters most is the interview process... and that's something we have heard almost nothing about.

Also, I want to know the wonderlic scores.

Worth remembering that Rivera essentially said things like postseason bowl games and workouts don't really help, but they can hurt.

#65 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:16 PM

Anyone who uses the combine solely to suggest not taking someone is lacking intelligence IMO

Taking or not taking, honestly.

The combine and workouts are supposed to supplement what you learn from game tape, not revise it.

As I've said many times, put too much emphasis on non-game related action and you're going to wind up drafting the next Mike Mamula.

#66 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

Taking or not taking, honestly.

The combine and workouts are supposed to supplement what you learn from game tape, not revise it.

As I've said many times, put too much emphasis on non-game related action and you're going to wind up drafting the next Mike Mamula.

Yeah I meant both. Looking good against air isn't impressive. On the other side, sometimes guys just have bad days. Sure the combine is a good look, but it really doesn't tell how a guy performs under game conditions

#67 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

BTW, did anybody see how fast Cam's top speed was? They clocked him at over 22mph in about the last 10yds of his 40. Can you imagine trying to tackle a 250lb man coming at you at 22mph? That's freakin scary.

So you are saying he is a slow starter and takes a while to get going?

I swear I read this somewhere else on this board...

#68 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Combine today told us exactly what we needed to know. Can Newton will need some time to be great and that Gabbert is more of a project then cam because he was hiding his poor accuracy and weak arm. Maybe can should not have thrown but at least teams know what there getting.

#69 rico6

rico6

Shit.

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

In Alex Smith's defense. He's constantly getting better and better, and to this day he's looking more and more like a franchise QB.

Jamarcus is the typical "all the talent, but no passion" type of QB/Player you get in every draft.

Combines on one hand can be virtuously meaningless, while on the other hand it could save you.

#70 monstercat

monstercat

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

JaMarcus Russell showed up 20lbs overweight for the combine. Even Mayock called the comparison of him and Cam ridiculous. He said that they were completely different.

#71 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

One question....what is Jamarcus Russell doing nowadays? This is not a smart assy reply either. I really want to know.

Hanging out with Nick Fairley...

#72 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:25 AM

combine today told us exactly what we needed to know. Can newton will need some time to be great and that gabbert is more of a project then cam because he was hiding his poor accuracy and weak arm. Maybe can should not have thrown but at least teams know what there getting.

lol, really? dude. seriously. tons of quarterbacks don't throw at the combine. It's not a big deal, but it does make his pro day a bit more important.

#73 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

i'm not big on dareus mainly because i think fairley would help out more with us using a 3-4 a good bit.

I usually agree with your points, rayzor, but this one I just don't get. EVERYONE comments on how Dareus is so versatile and can fit in 3-4 just as well as 4-3. The only comments I've seen about Fairley in relation to the 3-4 is how he wouldn't fit there and how he's a scheme specific player. He's a pass rushing 4-3 DT, and we don't need one of those. We have Landri. I still say Landri did mighty fine this year considering who he was working with (as I've said before, DT is one of the more, if not most, same-position-partner-dependent positions in the game).

We need a big DT that won't get pushed back and can take up two blockers, not one to shoot gaps since Landri can do that just fine. Remember, Landri led the league in stops for no gain or loss. That screams LoS penetration.

I would MUCH rather have Dareus than Fairley.