Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OchoNueve

Why we draft a QB #1 overall = Tony Pike

38 posts in this topic

After looking closer at the draft selection, the fact we didn't franchise Johnson, I have a feeling we go for Bowers number one. If not Bowers than definitely Peterson, and hopefully Hurney has a sleeper DE waiting in the 3rd.

had no choice but to franchise Kalil. Johnson is now there top priority imo.

On the other hand, if Rivera lobbies like hell to draft a QB # 1 overall and that QB is a bust... goodbye Rivera, you've just set the franchise back at least 5 years.

Personally I think Rivera will want to address the QB position with a veteran.

This to me is flawed logic. People think this is the safer play but it really isn't. If it is it isn't by that much.

You get a vet one of two ways. FA or trade.

FA QB's that get picked up rarely (if ever) work out. Generally speaking there is a reason they are a FA.

Every once in a while a good QB will hit the market. Like Brees or Vick. Then every team that needs a QB go after him. They drive the price up and up until you end up vastly over paying for a QB who wasn't good enough to play for his original team.

If you want good value for a FA QB we need more of them to go to prison for 2 years:D:D

Generally speaking, if a QB is any good he never makes it to FA. He is traded.

So let's trade for one? Well now your talking about an investment that is every bit as expensive for the future of your franchise as drafting a bust.

Kolb will set the price in this market and the Eagles are asking 2 first round draft picks. If you make this deal there still isn't a guarantee that this guy will work out. McNabb flourished in the Eagles pass happy offense but is about to be cut after just one year at the Redskins. Kolb could likely do the same thing.

Plus if you trade for a backup with the intention of starting him, the next day after the trade is official, the QBs agent (if he is doing his job) is asking for a new contract with a starters salary.

Keep in mind this is all for trading for a player that right now isn't good enough to start for his current team.

BUT if a QB you traded two first round picks (or a first and second) flames out you also have lost important building blocks to your future. While the QB you just traded for busts you are also missing on upgrading important positions bc you don't have the high draft picks to restock your roster.

So now your QB stinks and your roster is regressing. That in itself can set you back at least 5 year.

On the flip side if you draft a QB and he busts you are hurt financially (big time) but you have not wasted any future picks and you are continuing to (hopefully) build a strong roster through the draft so when the QB position finally does get resolved you are in a better situation to be successful.

So vet QB's are not the safer route. At least not significantly safer. And can be just as costly.

Let's just be grateful that Hurney was not successful in finding a 'trade up' partner to draft Clausen last year, or we would be even more screwed than we are now.

This x 5,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,

Depends on how you look at it, missing on a guy in the 2nd round is a much less expensive mistake then missing on a guy in the first round.

Yes but one thing your forgetting, under any new CBA there will be a salary cap for drafted rookies. The days of paying a rookie $65M right out of college is over.

How is either Bowers or Dareus a safe pick? Bowers just had MCL surgery in January, and Dareus only did 24 reps of 225, less then some WR and Runningbacks, Patrick Perterson is only 6'0".... the bottom line is.. no pick is a safe pick until they perform in the NFL. I trust the coaching staff to do their homework and select the guy that best fits what they want to do. If that is a QB, I hope it works, if its a DT,DE,WR,CB/S, I hope it works.

If that's the only knock then you have to be happy. If that's your only criteria for drafting dlinemen then you pick Paea

If we don't draft a QB, Tony Pike is Clausen's competition.

If Tony Pike sucks then Clausen doesn't have competition.

Clausen needs competition.

If the Panthers are not sold on Tony Pike being good competition for starter, then I believe we will draft a QB #1 overall.

And in response...

Why would you think that if we don't draft a QB that we wouldn't sign a FA?

This. Get this through everyone's head.

There are no safe picks in the draft. Dareus only benched 24 reps of 225... poor... and weak.. less then some RB's and WR.

Peterson is only 6'0", fairly was a 1 year wonder...

The only way it is a safe pick will be in 3 years when they are dominating on a high level....

Please stop with the bench. It tests muscle endurance not explosiveness or strength. Strength can be easily corrected with an NFL lifting regimen.

Why would you think that if we don't draft a QB that we wouldn't sign a FA?

I think we will whether we draft one or not.

Please stop with the bench. It tests muscle endurance not explosiveness or strength. Strength can be easily corrected with an NFL lifting regimen.

Warren Sapp only did 225 16 times. He turned out to be decent.

Pike is going practice squad. Jimmy will fight for backup position if we draft a QB, because I believe even if we draft one we'll sign a free agent to be safe. Which is why I believe you take Cam and let Shula see what he can do with him or sign a McNabb and draft AJ Green or draft Cam and still sign McNabb, he'll be a great mentor for Cam and help the developement of our young recievers. Basically, we can really use McNabb

I think we will whether we draft one or not.

Same sentiment...the big difference here seems that there's a side willing to risk the first pick with a QB and the the other part of the Panther nation has convinced themselves that we will not pick a QB and they additionally hate every QB in this draft because Luck didn't declare (they also know Newton and Gabbert do and will suck).

I'm personally on the Green/Peterson train, but am to the point where I am completely fine with taking a QB. Why? Because (1) Its a legitimate possibility, so I'm not going to convince myself that Newton/Gabbert won't be here & suck & (2) A FA QB is pretty much guaranteed, but additionally do you really want to wait another year to find a QB, or take a shot now while we have the top pick in the entire draft.

1 person likes this

Yes but one thing your forgetting, under any new CBA there will be a salary cap for drafted rookies. The days of paying a rookie $65M right out of college is over.

That's not set in stone yet, there's been discussion that it would not apply to this year's rookies.

Warren Sapp only did 225 16 times. He turned out to be decent.

LOL, good point... they showed a graphic on NFLN of the top all-time bench pressers at the combine when that kid set the record and made the point that not one of them turned out to be much of a football player in the NFL.

Is the guy that drafted Clausen still with the team?