Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WalterFootball's latest mock has the Panthers taking Newton

91 posts in this topic

Posted

ok so because a CB has NEVER been selected #1 means it still wont happen? I just dont want to grasp that logic. What corner has ever been this highly touted?

My biggest issue with their logic not to take Peterson is the "well teams just won't throw his way"... how is that not a positive for us? I guess Revis isn't that important to the Jets defense because teams just stop throwing his way...

Posted

about the only thing people agree on is that he's going to have a learning curve...

which is why many people don't peg him at #1.

I'm just not worried about him next year. I don't care if we drafted Luck I wouldn't want him to start from day 1. i am interested in the end result and what that can mean for our franchise down the road. Luck, Gabbert, or Newton would benefit from sitting a year, or at least the majority of it. So take the upside and trust your coaches to cultivate that talent.

Just my opinion. FWIW (nothing :cornut:)

Posted

...... c) eh, I went to cpcc for 3 years before I dropped out, it wasnt that great

I hate to say it.... but..... going to Stanford or any other big time school is nothing compared to a local community college.

That is why I think Luck stayed in school and for mainly that reason only. College life is great, alot of fun for many reasons and once you leave that is over. His family had money to insure him (while of course that wont guarantee the same kind of $ he would have gotten if he did come out) but so what, and its probably enough for him to be able to enjoy College for one more year before he left that life behind. Being in the same situation I might have very easily made the same decision.

Posted

I hate to say it.... but..... going to Stanford or any other big time school is nothing compared to a local community college.

That is why I think Luck stayed in school and for mainly that reason only. College life is great, alot of fun for many reasons and once you leave that is over. His family had money to insure him (while of course that wont guarantee the same kind of $ he would have gotten if he did come out) but so what, and its probably enough for him to be able to enjoy College for one more year before he left that life behind. Being in the same situation I might have very easily made the same decision.

Thanks, but i get it like you didnt get the sarcastic nimrod answers i was giving.

Posted

Luck didn't shun the Panthers, that's just a stoopid notion.

he sure did. took his talents back to santa clara. andrew luck will never play for the carolina panthers and richardson.

2 people like this

Posted

he sure did. took his talents back to santa clara. andrew luck will never play for the carolina panthers and richardson.

There's no way anyone can prove whether Luck didn't come out simply b/c he didn't want to come to CAR or b/c he wanted to stay in school.

I find the argument that he stayed b/c he didn't want to come to CAR weak b/c right now the odds of who has #1 next year will most likely be a small market team anyway - ala BUF/CIN etc IMO. In other words he could go to an even worse team like BUF that has really bad climate or JAX where no one shows up or a chronically bad team and QB killer like the Raiders...

Posted

All I have to say is this..If the panthers feel like Newton can be the man in Carolina..Then they should draft him.Forget all the off the field problems that stuff is over when he get to carolina he want smell any trouble.With the chud as Offensive coordinator he should come up with a scheme to bring Cam along slow and be able to use his overall talents on the field.But like i said if they feel he is the guy,they should take him.But if not we should take Marcell Dareus because he is the best DT on the board..

Posted

if you really think about it, what number 1 draft pick really wants to play for the team that drafts him?

the money, publicity, chance to play in the nfl, and infamy of being considered the best overall of an entire draft class overshadows the fact that you're about to play for the most pathetic team in the nfl.

i've always joked that if i was a draft prospect, and the lions or raiders called me on draft day to tell me they were going to pick me...i'd hang up on them.

Posted

⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩⇩

1 person likes this

Posted

Hopefully Cam has a great Pro Day and interview with Richardson....Wouldn't surprise me if he's number 1 on our board.

1. Not sold on Clausen as a Franchise QB

2. Hurney states biggest need who will be behind center

3. Rivera is HIGH on Killa Cam

4. Have to compete with our division which is surrounded with stud QB's until we find one we will be at the bottom of the NFC trust & believe.

5. Most importantly I feel a new HC will want to groom his own handpicked guy at the start of his tenure.

all signs point to Cam or Gabbert whoever impresses will be the pick imho

1 person likes this

Posted

Don't care what anyone says Luck didn't want to be a panther if I'm a pro athlete getting to the pros is a dream come true but being number 1 overall is means so much more. Why risk injury in college just to finish out college? If Education was a big thing for him it's not like he couldn't take classes in the Offseason he didn't want to be a Panther.

I'm not going to question Lucks passion because I don't know him but give me the guy that wants to challenge himself in the big leagues and needs the money that guy is going to be all the more hungry.

Posted

Who I would be happy with with the 1st pick

Fairly

Green

Peterson

Who I wouldn't mind

Newton

Dareaus

Who I would be pissed about getting with the #1 pick

Bowers

Gabbert

The 1st group is 3 guys who are dominant impact players. They can take over games and you could make the argument that all 3 positions are needs.

The 2nd group consists of probably the safest pick in Dareaus and the biggest risk/reward in Newton. Dareaus fills the need part, but I put Fairly ahead based off of potential, performance, and combine. Newton can light up the field when he's on, and he's a leader, do not underestimate what it takes to be a leader.

The last group are players that we do not need. Bowers can take over a game, but we are in absolutely no need of a defensive end. And Gabbert is not worthy of the 1st pick in the draft, or imo of selecting him at all. This guy played in the Big12 and could only muster 16td passes, which is not good especially when the Big12 plays no defense. I'm telling you, Gabbert will not be a good QB, trust me.

2 people like this