90 replies to this topic

#61 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

Newton as the pick will be ok. He can come in and sit behind clausen/vet for a few years and learn the position. Then we will have our own A. Rodgers...I hope.

I agree with this plan of action, but please oh sweet god not Jimmy.

#62 drnll4

drnll4

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

have any one lsited to this http://charlotte.cbs...r-insider-news/ if so tell me what you think

#63 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

let cam sit behind vince young, its so crazy it just might work

#64 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

I still like Newton but I wish the money to play issue could be resolved one way or the other because I do think that is an important piece to the puzzle.

I too think that they should take a hard look at Gabbert. I wouldn't be upset if we got him. I heard on the radio that a high level Panther official honestly thought Jimmy was better than all the guys coming out this year except for two, presumably Gab and Cam.

Any player that can repeatedly take over games at times at the highest level is a guy you can't pass on. The game tape doesn't lie. The records and trophies say something also. The Panthers have always drafted players on past production, YAC and such and this guy has got the #'s.

I, on the other hand, don't think the money is such a big issue. Players have been taking money and benefits and still are. You are taking advantage of a player when he plays for your team, sells tons of jerseys and swag, and can't even afford to buy said swag or jersey. They should give back.

They play gotcha with this kid because he's one of the most gifted and unstoppable players they've seen. Haters gonna hate. I'm sorry but I hope those "Drive/FNZ" guys have to eat their words. Frank and Moose are real football players and realists and have seen the tape, played the game and respect the guy.

Edited by rippadonn, 02 March 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#65 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

let cam sit behind vince young, its so crazy it just might work

Interesting choice of words :sosp:

#66 raleigh-panther

raleigh-panther

• HUDDLER
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

I never get these right so feel free to take this with a grain of salt but I really think we will either take Gabbert or Newton with the first pick. I hope we bring them both in and give them a thorough look. Seems to me either could be fine at this point. I still like Newton but I wish the money to play issue could be resolved one way or the other because I do think that is an important piece to the puzzle.

I think you are right. I feel the same way you do. If we had a second round pick, well, Christian Ponder is a kid I like. We don't.

Gabbert, I don't know. It's one thing to throw the ball at a pro day with no one in pads bearing down on him. It's another thing with a rush. Maybe I've missed it, but, I haven't seen evasion as one of his strong suits.

Frankly, he reminds of a taller Jim Clausen and that, I really don't want.

I guess I look at Newton and I know that defenses have to defend the pass, the run, and defend him running too, and that is an extra dimension I think this team could really use.

#67 Grammer

Grammer

Troll. Ignore Me.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

you guys do realize that luck said he was staying in college back in july, right?

also, next years qbs will be far far better, the best in a long time. if cam came out next year, he would be a 4th rounder

#68 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

you guys do realize that luck said he was staying in college back in july, right?

also, next years qbs will be far far better, the best in a long time. if cam came out next year, he would be a 4th rounder

We aren't likely going to have the first next year, so what makes you think we'll be in position to get a franchise player? They are not going to tank another season for your pleasure. The reason we haven't drafted a franchise type QB is we've not had a top five in years.

The people that study and train NFL players have identified Cam and Gabbert as your franchise type of QB. Next year or this year doesn't make a difference. We're still not getting Luck, get over it, move on.

Edited by rippadonn, 02 March 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#69 pantherfan81

pantherfan81

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

I believe the #Panthers will take Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert after hearing they were down on Fairley. They do like Bowers, but injury ?'s.

Interesting what they allegedly are thinking.

ChrisSteuber

#70 Grammer

Grammer

Troll. Ignore Me.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

We aren't likely going to have the first next year, so what makes you think we'll be in position to get a franchise player? They are not going to tank another season for your pleasure. The reason we haven't drafted a franchise type QB is we've not had a top five in years.

The people that study and train NFL players have identified Cam and Gabbert as your franchise type of QB. Next year or this year doesn't make a difference. We're still not getting Luck, get over it, move on.

what the hell, we wont "tank", but we will be picking top 10 again after we go something like 6-10, which means we will be in position to pick up one of the 3 i mentioned before.

but ill ask you the question: if cam and gabbert came out and had to compete against luck, jones, and berkley, how well would they compete against them? not very well, i would presume

#71 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

Gabbert was projected by some, assuming he improved, etc, to go very high next year (as in, some had him as their #1 QB for next year's draft at mid year this year, back before people knew Luck would stay in). I don't know that he would have passed Jones or Berkley or not, but he would have still been up there and could have depending on how he did next year.

#72 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

what the hell, we wont "tank", but we will be picking top 10 again after we go something like 6-10, which means we will be in position to pick up one of the 3 i mentioned before.

but ill ask you the question: if cam and gabbert came out and had to compete against luck, jones, and berkley, how well would they compete against them? not very well, i would presume

Bro, check out the state some of these teams are goingt o be in next year.

Arizona (presumably if they don't draft a QB) will be in the same boat that we are currently in.

Tennessee is once again on its hunt for another QB

Buffalo, please don't get me started.

And several others. You honestly think anything higher than a 4-12 record is getting this team a remote shot at getting a top 3 draft pick?

Andy Luck's not coming here, now or ever. Get it through your head.

#73 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

We won't need a top 3 pick to get a quality quarterback next year if the class stays as strong as predicted.

#74 antame

antame

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:14 AM

Something about Gabbert bothers me and screams "Bust!" Maybe he's just too sly, or something, or he reminds me of David Carr or he's trying Tom Brady hair his way in. I have no objective reason for not liking him, I just have a bad feeling about that guy.

#75 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

There's a reason neither Gabbert nor Newton are consensus #1 picks. If there were no concerns about either, one of them would be... or at least consensus 1-2 picks. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.